The Student Room Group

Room inspections...do they check wardrobes?

Hi

So I have a room inspection in two weeks time. I have a mini-fridge in my room. I'm thinking of hiding it in the wardrobe, so its out of site.

But do room inspectors normally check the condition of the wardrobes?
Reply 1
Why are mini-fridges not allowed? XD
(+BUMP)
Is there no lock on the wardrobe? Surely they are not allowed to look at your private belongings.
Reply 3
Are you in university accommodation? Even in ours, they don't do room inspections. o.o

Just pile a bunch of clothes awkwardly on it. Or put it in an empty suitcase and store that away in the wardrobe. You can just say you were given the fridge but don't use it if they find it and have an issue.

I have snakes and a tarantula in my university room, whenever maintenance/cleaners/whoever have to come in I just throw something over the cages/boxes. They will be inspecting, but not moving/hunting through your things.
Reply 4
It might be different in different places, but I've never had anyone look in my wardrobe. They're mostly just checking you've not messed with fire/ safety equipment, blocked an emergency exit, or caused obvious damage to something, etc. The only reason I can think they would bother looking in there is if you've hidden a pet against your lease and they can hear suspicious noises coming from inside :p:
Reply 5
Yep, I'm in university accommodation and my wardrobe does not have a lock. Maybe stashing it in an empty box will do?
In my halls they said to keep any personal items out of plain sight so I'd assume they don't look in wardrobes or cupboards.
In my halls they looked in the wardrobe to check that the rail thing was still there. Just chuck clothes over it, that's what I did with my rabbit's cage.
In my halls they didn't check wardrobes at all. As others have said, chuck some clothes over it if needs be!
Reply 9
in mine they literally walked into the room had a quick look, opened the wardrobe but didnt move anything, and then said thanks and left
i think they only look for obvious damage etc
the suitcase idea is good :smile:
What uni is this we had nothing like that at Solent
why arent you allowed mini fridges?
Mini fridges usually aren't allowed because they can be a fire risk and because they suck power. You shouldn't need one anyway, unless y have medication that needs refrigerating
Depends what accommodation you're in but I doubt it. When they do room inspections at mine they literally just come in your room, have a quick glance about and that's it, they certainly didn't nose through my stuff :tongue:
Reply 14
I'd be disgusted if room inspectors looked through my wardrobe or drawers, that's worthy of a complaint really as it's out of order.

Also why aren't you "allowed" mini-fridges?
No, it's usually just a quick look to make sure you're taking care of the room and that it isn't smashed up or anything. Thinking about it, it's disgusting that they're allowed to "inspect" a room that you're paying to live in when you're a fully grown adult. If you do break anything, you pay for it at the end of the year anyway!

I had all sorts in my room, including an extra heater because ours were rubbish, a kettle.. and I just put them under my bed when an inspection was due and they genuinely didn't pay much attention to anything at all.
Reply 16
Pretty common here, and we are allowed kettles & fridges. But fairly certain they won't look in wardrobes, they have a lot to get through
I'm happy to see that you manage to keep your little mateys in your room :-D Do you think this relaxed inspection vibe applies to many of the colleges? I'm really wanting to bring my 2 rats with me, but it would be terrible if they were found and I had to find another home for them, after bringing them so far from my home country...I'm an incoming grad student and I've also seen that some grad students get put in more autonomous-style housing... can anyone speak to this? Anyone else have any college pet tales? ;-P

Quick Reply

Latest