Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have to design a study focusing around the stroop task. If you don't know this is when colours of words mismatch the work meaning.

E.g
    Name:  stroop_test.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  40.3 KB

Gotta say I've done about this so much and it bores me to death. Does anyone have an idea for a variation of the original experiment. Some examples given by tutor were the same idea with body parts (photo of foot with arm written on it) and naming odd coloured vegetables. *Yawn*

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done a literature search so I don't know if these have been done before, but you could try...

1) Changing one letter to the congruent colour
    2) Incorrect spelling/anagrams
    3) Distractor task, like having to press an arrow corresponding to where the word shows up on the screen (top, bottom, etc) or having to continuously count in between reading aloud the word colour. I'm guessing that performance wouldn't be as good as usual but it'd be interesting to see how we'd handle something like the stroop task when cognitively overloaded
    4) Dyslexic participants - this group might perform better than controls?
    5) Pre-task training: get participants to practice doing either the stroop task or a reading task maybe 5 or so times before recording results
    6) Numbers: have large numbers made up of smaller numbers, like the letter '1' made up of smaller '3's...or something along those lines

As mentioned, I don't know if any of those ideas have been done before (which is the trouble with an area that's been done to death) but hopefully this helps in some way!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.