The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hskjlclcn
Absolutely love it! A positive Wolf! Predicting Ipswich & Derby, possibly with each team finishing on 78, also predicting that the Millwall scum will try and cause havoc at The Mol on Sat.

Haha always an optimist I say! To be honest Millwall fans causing havoc goes without saying, especially because they've got nothing to play for.
We need slip ups from practically everyone above us but I've seen stranger things... (Wolves 6-4 Rotherham, remember that?)
Original post by jakesidhu
I'm new here and, as a Wolves fan, would just like to ask everyone this: Which two teams will make the playoffs out of Derby, Ipswich, Brentford and Wolves?
I'm going for Ipswich and Wolves (No bias here!)
Seriously, though, Derby are wobbling and we've got potentially the best striker in the Championship (although Daryl Murphy might have something to say to that).
And who do you think will get promoted through the playoffs? Again, Wolves for me...

Ipswich will probably draw on Saturday but I don't see Wolves getting the other place over Brentford if Derby don't win because I can't see them losing their fixture, as I can't see Wolves losing either but have a worse GD

As an Ipswich fan I don't think he is the best striker in the league because I think you need to be consistent season after season for that. He is amazing player but equally he has great service from all areas of the pitch.

Promoted, I think it will be a 5th/6th team for some reason although I think Ipswich deserve it, they never do (Statistically most unsuccessful team in the play-off's) If we did get in the Prem I think it would be on par with the Bournemouth miracle considering mick's spent almost nothing on players and brought us back from some of the worst managers in my living memory.
I think I'll just watch Gillette Soccer Sat on Saturday to see it all as it comes in. With just the Championship kicking off at 12:15 (Plus Leic/New at 12:45?) They should show all the goals as they happen. I'd love to see Brentford in and Derby out though.
Original post by TornadoGR4
I think I'll just watch Gillette Soccer Sat on Saturday to see it all as it comes in. With just the Championship kicking off at 12:15 (Plus Leic/New at 12:45?) They should show all the goals as they happen. I'd love to see Brentford in and Derby out though.

Agreed, would be great for all the Brentford board as they sack the man that got them to the Play-off's after promotion.
Callum Wilson already being linked with a £12m move to Spurs. Newcastle are also interested, according to reports.
Original post by Mackay
Callum Wilson already being linked with a £12m move to Spurs. Newcastle are also interested, according to reports.

Hearing news like this just rubs salt in the wound after selling him for £3 million

:facepalm:
Original post by iodo345
Hearing news like this just rubs salt in the wound after selling him for £3 million

The PL has been littered with too many players who've failed to make that leap. He needs to stay at Goldsands for as long as possible, otherwise he'll become a Beckford or Frazier Campbell.
Original post by Mackay
The PL has been littered with too many players who've failed to make that leap. He needs to stay at Goldsands for as long as possible, otherwise he'll become a Beckford or Frazier Campbell.

I feel the same. He's better getting experience in the premier league then moving to bigger clubs as he has the potential to one day play for a club like Tottenham etc but not quite yet.
The Championship Play-off race is really exciting. I can't wait to see how it will all pan out this weekend. I'll go for Brentford and Ipswich making it, with Brentford winning them and gaining promotion.

The collapse of Derby in the second half of this season has been unbelievable. They were easily top not that long ago but are now hanging on in 6th place. Their defense has been their downfall. Shipping 4 goals against Huddesfield and 3 against Millwall in recent weeks is unforgivable. Their drop in form seems to coincide with Jordan Ibe being recalled back to Liverpool. I've also heard that Steve McClaren is off to Newcastle next season, which may have affected the players.

So yeah, I see Derby losing and Brentford winning, putting them into the playoff places. What an incredible achievement that would be.
Original post by iodo345

That is the price we pay for being in a dog **** division.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dog Soup
The Championship Play-off race is really exciting. I can't wait to see how it will all pan out this weekend. I'll go for Brentford and Ipswich making it, with Brentford winning them and gaining promotion.

The collapse of Derby in the second half of this season has been unbelievable. They were easily top not that long ago but are now hanging on in 6th place. Their defense has been their downfall. Shipping 4 goals against Huddesfield and 3 against Millwall in recent weeks is unforgivable. Their drop in form seems to coincide with Jordan Ibe being recalled back to Liverpool. I've also heard that Steve McClaren is off to Newcastle next season, which may have affected the players.

So yeah, I see Derby losing and Brentford winning, putting them into the playoff places. What an incredible achievement that would be.

Disaster of a move for him so long as Ashley is in charge, hell end up being the fall guy for their lack of ambition and ruin the attempt to restore his career following the England and forest flops.
Original post by LordPhylogeny
Agreed, would be great for all the Brentford board as they sack the man that got them to the Play-off's after promotion.

yeah it's not as simple as that. Matthew Benham wanted Mark Warburton to stay more than anything but they couldn't come to an agreement about how to run the club together along with a Director of Football after Frank McParland did some stupid ****. Frank was sacked, then Mark and Matthew had a conversation about the future. Matthew Benham is far more important to Brentford FC than Mark Warburton, who is a fantastic manager, but he couldn't have achieved any of it without Matthew Benham and his connections or money.

Benham wants a Director of Football to work alongside a first team coach under a more European model using a mathematical modelling system. He's also the owner at FC Midtjylland who are now 12 points clear in the Danish Superliga.

Here's an excellent article you can read: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/22/brentford-mathematical-modelling-denmark
And the club statement: http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/brentford-fc-mark-warburton-frank-mcparland-david-weir-statement-2277027.aspx

It's easy to look at the situation as an outsider with total ignorance of what's going on and see "the owner is sacking their successful manager because he's an idiot" or whatever, but the reality is that Matthew Benham has the most realistic idea of what's going on at Brentford at the moment along with a solid plan for the future. We've him to thank for not dropping out of League Two, for hiring two excellent managers in recent years and for getting us into the Championship with the ability to sign the most exciting squad of players we've ever had.

I love Warburton as much as any Brentford fan but I have faith in our manager and the board - something I never thought I'd be able to say ten years ago and something most fans can't say about their club. Apparently we've got a few targets lined up for next season and one of those is Paco Jemez. Newcastle seem to be interested in him too but hopefully they'll go for Steve McLaren instead.

As for whether we can make the play offs this season, I don't think Ipswich or Derby will bottle it. I hope they do because we're going to beat Wigan, but 7th in the Championship is already our best league finish in living memory so I'm over the moon with this season.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Disaster of a move for him so long as Ashley is in charge, hell end up being the fall guy for their lack of ambition and ruin the attempt to restore his career following the England and forest flops.

Yes they should rack up debts to appease deluded Geordies instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jangrafess
yeah it's not as simple as that. Matthew Benham wanted Mark Warburton to stay more than anything but they couldn't come to an agreement about how to run the club together along with a Director of Football after Frank McParland did some stupid ****. Frank was sacked, then Mark and Matthew had a conversation about the future. Matthew Benham is far more important to Brentford FC than Mark Warburton, who is a fantastic manager, but he couldn't have achieved any of it without Matthew Benham and his connections or money.

Benham wants a Director of Football to work alongside a first team coach under a more European model using a mathematical modelling system. He's also the owner at FC Midtjylland who are now 12 points clear in the Danish Superliga.

Here's an excellent article you can read: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/22/brentford-mathematical-modelling-denmark
And the club statement: http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/brentford-fc-mark-warburton-frank-mcparland-david-weir-statement-2277027.aspx

It's easy to look at the situation as an outsider with total ignorance of what's going on and see "the owner is sacking their successful manager because he's an idiot" or whatever, but the reality is that Matthew Benham has the most realistic idea of what's going on at Brentford at the moment along with a solid plan for the future. We've him to thank for not dropping out of League Two, for hiring two excellent managers in recent years and for getting us into the Championship with the ability to sign the most exciting squad of players we've ever had.

I love Warburton as much as any Brentford fan but I have faith in our manager and the board - something I never thought I'd be able to say ten years ago and something most fans can't say about their club. Apparently we've got a few targets lined up for next season and one of those is Paco Jemez. Newcastle seem to be interested in him too but hopefully they'll go for Steve McLaren instead.

As for whether we can make the play offs this season, I don't think Ipswich or Derby will bottle it. I hope they do because we're going to beat Wigan, but 7th in the Championship is already our best league finish in living memory so I'm over the moon with this season.

Besides Warburton will be leading our push for League 2 survival next season, he doesn't want to be at a Championship club that is sensibly run.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jangrafess

Not if we win 10-0 :wink: Also noticed that your goal difference is closer to Ipswich than I thought, could potentially see you overturning that, although obviously I hope Wigan & Reading return to their 2006 form for one day.
Original post by hskjlclcn
Not if we win 10-0 :wink: Also noticed that your goal difference is closer to Ipswich than I thought, could potentially see you overturning that, although obviously I hope Wigan & Reading return to their 2006 form for one day.

Yep, all it needs is a 1-0 loss for them and a 2-0 win for us. I'd also happily take 8th mind!
Think you might make it based on that, we threw it away in the reverse fixture when we were 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go before we decided to make Fuller a world beater. I would also take 8th, but it's tantalising.
Original post by Midlander
Yes they should rack up debts to appease deluded Geordies instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well no, but they've been making a profit for a few years now and haven't remotely looked like putting any of it back into the club: they've become content to sit in 15th every season and take home the tv money - what is the point in being there unless you're going to try and win competitions and advance to the next level?
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Well no, but they've been making a profit for a few years now and haven't remotely looked like putting any of it back into the club: they've become content to sit in 15th every season and take home the tv money - what is the point in being there unless you're going to try and win competitions and advance to the next level?

Until Pardew left they were sitting pretty, but this wasn't the PL thread last time I checked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We do actually need a PL thread though. There isn't one over than the relegation & club threads.

Anyway, nice story about a player who had a horrific car crash leaving him paralyzed & now owns the club he used to play for. http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32516000

Quick Reply

Latest