The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Preston get to the final, then. No surprises - but what a goal from Beckford. I think they'll be tough to beat by either Sheffield United and Swindon, and can see them going up regardless of who they face.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32683463

If true, does that mean Preston don't go up?!
Original post by Mackay
Preston get to the final, then. No surprises - but what a goal from Beckford. I think they'll be tough to beat by either Sheffield United and Swindon, and can see them going up regardless of who they face.

They deserve it based on their form this season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
They deserve it based on their form this season.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. They were unlucky that Dons pipped them to the post. I'd say Swindon deserve to face them more than Sheffield United, but that's yet to be decided in the second-leg.
Luckily they have failed in more playoff finals then any other team
Original post by shawn_o1
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32683463

If true, does that mean Preston don't go up?!

Doubt it. Game was over. More likely that Preston will be handed a hefty fine, and may see them play some games behind closed doors but can't see it.
Original post by Mackay
Doubt it. Game was over. More likely that Preston will be handed a hefty fine, and may see them play some games behind closed doors but can't see it.

Nothing will happen seen much worse happen with no punishment
Just got back from Deepdale. Preston simply outclassed us and deserved to win the tie, although a 4-0 aggregate score reflects badly on us because despite today's at best average performance, I was baffled at how we didn't score in the first leg. Despite the clear quality that Preston have, they are a very dirty side and if Garner didn't spend the whole match rolling about on the floor, then I'd have a lot more respect for him - he's a brilliant player after all. Beckford's 2nd goal was pure class and all.

Here's what Evatt tweeted after the game:

To be attacked on a football pitch and fear for your safety is an absolute disgrace I was punched kicked and spat on several times #disgrace
1,370 retweets524 favoritesReply
Retweet1.4K
Favorite524
More

Just before the pitch invasion, my mate said that Evatt didn't stand a chance when the fans would eventually go on the pitch. They were booing him when ever he got the ball, but I really didn't expect him to be punched, kicked and spat on. Hope those responsible are punished.
Original post by joddcfc
Beckford's 2nd goal was pure class and all.

Great, great goal. Stunning hit - and it seemed to have pinpoint accuracy. Murphy didn't stand a chance. He showed two very techniques for both goals, too. He's a cut above other third tier strikers.
Original post by Mackay
Great, great goal. Stunning hit - and it seemed to have pinpoint accuracy. Murphy didn't stand a chance. He showed two very techniques for both goals, too. He's a cut above other third tier strikers.

Yeah, looked just on good on Sky as it did from the away end. Reportedly on 36k/week at Bolton
Original post by joddcfc
Yeah, looked just on good on Sky as it did from the away end. Reportedly on 36k/week at Bolton

No surprise he was loaned out, then. He seems to have rejuvenated himself at Deepdale. Bolton have quite a potential for killing strikers, in truth. Hopefully Lennon can rectify that in pre-season. He has the makings of a great squad full of young talent, like Vela, Clough etc.
Original post by joddcfc

thats why they are in the **** financially
Original post by joddcfc
Just before the pitch invasion, my mate said that Evatt didn't stand a chance when the fans would eventually go on the pitch. They were booing him when ever he got the ball, but I really didn't expect him to be punched, kicked and spat on. Hope those responsible are punished.

If true then the club should be severely punished as well for failing to control their fans. Not sure what the appropriate response would be but needs to be sufficient to send a message to other clubs and their "fans" to deter such actions in the future.
Original post by DarrenBCFC
By spending 10 Million pounds before they sacked him for failing to get automatic promotion
No he really did not a team which finished 4th under Chris Hughton the season before was battling against relegation for 3/4 of the 2012/13 season. Then the 2013/14 season 2 home wins in a calendar year in league competitions and having a midtable team finish in 21st position. He could get man united relegated in 2 years if given the chance.

OK
Somebody has been charged for an attack on Evatt once the pitch invasion was underway.
looks like Preston v Swindon the League One play-off final. Irony if Swindon go up
Great, great goal by Stevenage in their first-leg yesterday. All to play for still against Southend.
Incredible game between Swindon and Sheffield United tonight ending 5 all.
Original post by Rock Fan
Incredible game between Swindon and Sheffield United tonight ending 5 all.

Game of the season in any of the three FL divisions. Incredible game. Hopefully there's still some drama left for the play-off final. I fancy Preston.
Original post by Mackay
Game of the season in any of the three FL divisions. Incredible game. Hopefully there's still some drama left for the play-off final. I fancy Preston.

Sheff Utd fans must be wondering what they've got to do to go up. Surely just a matter of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest