The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
New Bolton kit.

I love that simple designs are coming back. Can't wait to see our new sponsorless shirt :biggrin:
Reply 3901
Original post by joddcfc
Hi, not a league 2 fan (I'm a Chesterfield fan), but I take an interest in L2 football. I'd agree about Portsmouth and Cambridge - the former having a great manager and a big budget, the latter using that FA Cup money well like you said. Both made decent signings already. Was gutted to see Gary Roberts go to Pompey. I'd also expect Orient to do well as they have a quality squad on paper but they are really badly run by their owners (who I believe are selling) and are probably one of the hardest L2 teams to predict.

Oxford made a great signing with Slocombe in net - what do you think of that one? One of best keepers I saw play against us last season in L1. Would expect Oxford to challenge for the top 7 certainly.

Bad memories off my last visit to proact as we lost 3-0 I think and the oxford fans had a little protest to the chairman!! And yes by looking at Pompeys signings today that have got to be favourites!

Signing slocombe was weird cos we already had a class keeper in Ryan Clarke but he hasn't had a great season and apparently has fallen out the manager but he seems a very good replacement but ill wait until I see him more as some iron fans didn't rave about him
Original post by MiniO
Bad memories off my last visit to proact as we lost 3-0 I think and the oxford fans had a little protest to the chairman!! And yes by looking at Pompeys signings today that have got to be favourites!

Signing slocombe was weird cos we already had a class keeper in Ryan Clarke but he hasn't had a great season and apparently has fallen out the manager but he seems a very good replacement but ill wait until I see him more as some iron fans didn't rave about him

I remember that - didn't you end the match with 8 men? I'm sure you had a red card sometime in the second half, another in injury time and then an injury when all three subs had been made just after the 2nd red?
Reply 3903
Original post by joddcfc
I remember that - didn't you end the match with 8 men? I'm sure you had a red card sometime in the second half, another in injury time and then an injury when all three subs had been made just after the 2nd red?

Yes your correct actually, I had forgotten that!! we didn't hav a manager at the time and surprisingly we got a manager about a week later :biggrin: luckily I don't live in oxford and so didn't have to travel to far home! :colondollar:
Original post by TornadoGR4
I love that simple designs are coming back. Can't wait to see our new sponsorless shirt :biggrin:

Aye. Bolton seem to have got their junior team to model the kit, though.
So Wednesday have finally confirmed their new manager at half ten on a Tuesday night :lol: and it is... Carlos Carvalhal (source).

No Mark Cooper in tow though which I guess could be a blessing. I'm quite concerned about his appointment tbh. Would also explain why we've signed a player from Braga on loan recently.

The 3 coaches that he's brought with him seem to have decent records though. Welcome aboard to our first ever foreign manager :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3906
What's he been doing / where has he been for the last 3 years?? Wiki says that his last coaching role was at Istanbul in 2012!?! Always strange seeing a foreign manager come in but wish you all the best for the season especially as my next door neighbor is a Wednesday fan!
Ipswich will struggle without Mings next year, you'd assume. Both sides get a great deal, though. Bournemouth have probably overpaid ever so slightly, but he's definitely worthy of a bottom half PL side.
So Chris Wood has joined Leeds - tidy goalscorer but don't expect him to be of any use in the build up.
Original post by MiniO
What's he been doing / where has he been for the last 3 years?? Wiki says that his last coaching role was at Istanbul in 2012!?! Always strange seeing a foreign manager come in but wish you all the best for the season especially as my next door neighbor is a Wednesday fan!

Yeah he hasn't had a managers job for the past 3 years! Although its not on wiki some other sources say he's been technical advisor at some club in the UAE/Qatar (or some like close to that... I forget) for a while.

EDIT: Its the UAE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Ahli_Dubai_F.C.
(edited 8 years ago)
Has anyone heard of Steve Davies ??? New singing for Bradford. Not so keen on him :s-smilie:
Original post by redleader1
Has anyone heard of Steve Davies ??? New singing for Bradford. Not so keen on him :s-smilie:

Here you go - wiki profile
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Here you go - wiki profile

Doesnt look good but the new wing Morris I think he's called, looks very good.
Original post by redleader1

I'm a Derby fan and he's one of my favourite ever footballers. Absolute belter of a left foot on him.

The rumour is that our captain at the time (Jason Shackell) slept with Davies' missus, which led to both of them being sold. Not sure how true that is but an interesting tidbit, nonetheless.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
So Chris Wood has joined Leeds - tidy goalscorer but don't expect him to be of any use in the build up.

We're after Blades winger Jamie Murphy to do that job. Apparently Adkins is keen on getting Billy Sharp, could see a cash + player deal happening there
Neil Lennon favourite for the Leicester job, which would effect Bolton no end you'd imagine.
Original post by Mackay
New Bolton kit.

Vile, shall stick with last seasons.
Why does every kit these days seem to be moving the badge further and further up - it's practically on the shoulders there...

As for Lennon - no. If he weren't a former leicester player he wouldn't even be considered.
We've signed a German, an Austrian, a Dane, a Frenchman and an Englishman so far. The Dane is an established international - Andreas Bjelland - with 21 caps.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Why does every kit these days seem to be moving the badge further and further up - it's practically on the shoulders there...

As for Lennon - no. If he weren't a former leicester player he wouldn't even be considered.

Who would you prefer, seeing as though Big Sam isn't a realistic option?

Quick Reply

Latest