The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5120
Original post by shawn_o1
Kevin Nolan lands his first managerial role at Leyton Orient. Thought he'd go and save Bolton, no?

Player-Manager, I'm actually pretty excited but also anxious, Nolan has experience of the game in the East End, and seems to get along with his players from what I remember at West Ham, mind you he was also a captain, even when he got a lot of stick..
Original post by shawn_o1
Kevin Nolan lands his first managerial role at Leyton Orient. Thought he'd go and save Bolton, no?

Bolton can't be saved, they're up the **** creek heading to league 1, probably close to being liquidated, they have no money what so ever
He's better off starting at a lower football league club rather than jumping straight in at the Championship level.
Despite taking 1/2 months to get match fit Gary Hooper managed to turn his loan spell around before he left. On the verge of signing him on a perm and would be a very good addition to us. More so since he'll cost about the same (in transfer fee) as Blackman would have at 2.5/3 million.

Looks like we're trying to ship Wiggins out after an unimpressive 6 months. He does need to play regularly though so makes sense.
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Despite taking 1/2 months to get match fit Gary Hooper managed to turn his loan spell around before he left. On the verge of signing him on a perm and would be a very good addition to us. More so since he'll cost about the same (in transfer fee) as Blackman would have at 2.5/3 million.

Looks like we're trying to ship Wiggins out after an unimpressive 6 months. He does need to play regularly though so makes sense.

Wonder if you will still get Jordan Rhodes.
Original post by Rock Fan
Wonder if you will still get Jordan Rhodes.

For the money being touted for JR I severely hope not. Don't think there's anything in it besides a bit of lazy journalism tbh :tongue:
For the money being touted for JR I severely hope not. Don't think there's anything in it besides a bit of lazy journalism tbh :tongue:

Yeah to be honest a lot of the Premier League clubs don't have 12 million so I suspect he won't be leaving Blackburn at least until the summer.
Yeah to be honest a lot of the Premier League clubs don't have 12 million so I suspect he won't be leaving Blackburn at least until the summer.

I dare say they could find twelve million when staying up this season is worth millions - we've already seen Bournemouth chuck around crazy money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
I dare say they could find twelve million when staying up this season is worth millions - we've already seen Bournemouth chuck around crazy money

Posted from TSR Mobile

Another club to benefit from non-rules that allow clubs to gamble and only face punishment if it comes off. Though with Murdoch and BT giving billions to the PL they do now have a lot more cash to burn which has inflated fees tremendously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're rumored to be after him apparently, even then we're linked with nearly everyone from Championship and League 1
Gary Hooper has become a Sheffield Wednesday player permanently after the Owls agreed a fee with Norwich.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guess you would chuck any money in the hope of staying up, trouble is what if you fail and go down?
Guess you would chuck any money in the hope of staying up, trouble is what if you fail and go down?

Parachute payments are at what, £60m now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Parachute payments are at what, £60m now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

True but again you've only got to look at Bolton, Portsmouth, Leeds etc
True but again you've only got to look at Bolton, Portsmouth, Leeds etc

And ourselves. Times have changed though, the money given to relegated clubs is enormous and most teams now do alright.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
And ourselves. Times have changed though, the money given to relegated clubs is enormous and most teams now do alright.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but a lot of them struggle to go back up
Reply 5136
Leyton Orient have signed striker Armand Gnanduillet from Chesterfield for an undisclosed fee.The 23-year-old, who spent three years at the Spireites, has penned a two-and-a-half-year deal.The former Ivory Coast Under-20 international made 82 league appearances for Chesterfield, scoring 10 times for the League One side.Meanwhile, first-team coach Kevin Nugent has left the O's after the arrival of Kevin Nolan as player-boss.
nope nope
10 goals in 82 isn't a great return for a striker although he is now dropping down a league so maybe see how he does for Orient.
Birmingham and Ipswich meet at St. Andrew's today, with the winner having a very good chance of breaking into the play-off spots by the end of the day. Interesting stuff.

QPR vs. Wolves in the early kick-off promises to be decent, too.
Already 1 down again from a defensive howler. Season at risk of imploding if they keep it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest