The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
****e game at the bok today, no really attacking threat although apart from a goal keeping howler we kept Cardiff at bay which is promising I guess.
Original post by Scott129
I know my ****.

The general consensus seems to be that we should have come away with all three points though. The second half was a bit of an onslaught apparently.

Not surprised with the result. I was a bit annoyed that we conceded so late when I saw Derby score (i wasn't at the game) but after seeing replays, it was a very good goal so we can't have any complaints.

My dad and brothers went to the game and they said we had a good first half but Derby looked dangerous in the last 20 minutes. I'll be alright with a point but it's not done much good if we're wanting to catch up to 6th place
Original post by Midlander
How did you feel playing AFC Wimbledon last season? The awkward 'Yeah, we kind of killed your club to make ours' reunion.

As far as I understand they would've gone bust had they not moved to MK and so they likely would have had to restart at the bottom anyway (as they did). Worked out for both clubs in the end. :dontknow:
Reply 63
Original post by brocklehurst95
Not surprised with the result. I was a bit annoyed that we conceded so late when I saw Derby score (i wasn't at the game) but after seeing replays, it was a very good goal so we can't have any complaints.

My dad and brothers went to the game and they said we had a good first half but Derby looked dangerous in the last 20 minutes. I'll be alright with a point but it's not done much good if we're wanting to catch up to 6th place

Yeah, I didn't go either as I was at work. We had it on the radio though and I was getting text updates from some mates who went.

It sounded like you shaded the first half (largely carried by Gestede, who sounded dangerous) but it was all us for most of the second half, mainly because Bowyer had you sit back and defend the lead. We hit the crossbar and had a a header go just wide in the very last minute but I'm happy with a point. Difficult place to go.
Original post by alex_hk90
As far as I understand they would've gone bust had they not moved to MK and so they likely would have had to restart at the bottom anyway (as they did). Worked out for both clubs in the end. :dontknow:

They were in OK shape until the club thief Winkelman came on the scene. I don't define it working out for Wimbledon fans to have to restart from scratch as a much smaller entity because the authorities allowed their club to be stolen.

There is a high degree of irony whenever we play MK Dons...
Original post by Mockery
But Brentford FC is based in and named after the town of Brentford. In what way could following the historic and common place naming of football teams possibly make you sound 'hillbilly'? :lol:

Brentford isn't a town and hasn't been for a very long time. I don't think adding "town" makes a team sound like hillbillies, but adding "town" to something that isn't one sounds very strange indeed.
Original post by Jangrafess
Brentford isn't a town and hasn't been for a very long time. I don't think adding "town" makes a team sound like hillbillies, but adding "town" to something that isn't one sounds very strange indeed.

Sorry it has been fixed now
Original post by sr90
Didn't their previous owner try and get them to relocate to Dublin?

I assume that's why this individual is no longer in football.
Full program of Football League tonight and already Brentford are a goal up against Bristol City.

EDIT: They weren't in front for long however.

EDIT: Now they are back in front Brentford
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by Loat
Yeovil last minute collapse, curses.

This makes it sound like you were unlucky to lose, which you weren't.

Any team that lets the opposition have 36 shots deserves to lose (whether it's Barca or Accrington Stanley), no matter what time the goals actually go in.
Leicester have now won 8 in a row after beating Birmingham tonight, Derby also came back well against Yeovil who you have to feel sorry for. Meanwhile Blackpool's awful run continues after being smashed 5-1 by Reading, meanwhile Brentford won 3-1 in the end to stay top of League 1. Meanwhile mention on the Conference with Cambridge blowing the chance to go top after losing to Grimsby.
Reply 71
Surely Leicester must get promoted this season.
Ipswich are a decent team, but we still needed the win today. Not impressed.
Yeah Leeds seem to be on a poor run of form, wondering if they will stick by McDermott.
Original post by Rock Fan
Yeah Leeds seem to be on a poor run of form, wondering if they will stick by McDermott.

I have faith in McDermott, I think most of the fans do. Owners seem reluctant to spend, morale is low, Huddersfield will definitely raise their game at Elland Road on Saturday, good chance they'll do the double over us. Seem destined for another season in the second tier, & no signs of significant improvement of the squad, well at least not good enough for premier league quality.
Original post by Silver Arrows
I have faith in McDermott, I think most of the fans do. Owners seem reluctant to spend, morale is low, Huddersfield will definitely raise their game at Elland Road on Saturday, good chance they'll do the double over us. Seem destined for another season in the second tier, & no signs of significant improvement of the squad, well at least not good enough for premier league quality.

It seems exactly the same as it was under Ken Bates' ownership, yeah Huddersfield will be a tough match, you never know what to expect from the terriers.
Original post by Rock Fan
It seems exactly the same as it was under Ken Bates' ownership, yeah Huddersfield will be a tough match, you never know what to expect from the terriers.

This is painful to look at: http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/CurrentForm/0,,10794~20137,00.html

People are absolutely delusional if they think Leeds are capable of the playoffs. Disgusting.
Original post by Silver Arrows
This is painful to look at: http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/CurrentForm/0,,10794~20137,00.html

People are absolutely delusional if they think Leeds are capable of the playoffs. Disgusting.

I didn't realise their form was that bad, bottom of the form table.
8 wins in a row - a new club record. With QPR playing Burnley this Saturday as well, we could open up a massive lead with a win over Bournemouth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Will Brentford and Orient please stop winning. It's very frustrating.

In hindsight though we appear more settled now, and are building what should hopefully be a promotion defining run.

Quick Reply

Latest