The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

By all accounts Coventry and Oldham were guilty of crimes against football this afternoon in a 0-0 draw that virtually clinches our League 1 status. What a pathetic state of affairs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Their only consolation is that Yeovil and Barnsley are gone and Blackpool are just as **** as they are.

So we may yet have some company in this garbage division? Lovely jubbly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1002
Original post by Cheese_Monster
Ah but it is. Even if we pulled off a miracle, we don't have the quality to win the play-offs. It was a very even game against Scunthorpe that deserved a draw but it happens. If you manage at least a draw in your next game then you're pretty much in the play-offs. Did you listen to York Bury commentary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is though, if you did get into the play-offs, you'd probably win them as the belief and momentum would be with you. Momentum is all I'm clinging on to at the moment, as we certainly don't have the quality (apart from defensively) to cope.

Our goal difference isn't good enough for just a draw. We need a win at some point over the next 2 to be sure.

I did indeed - and suffered several mini-heart attacks! Any more bum clenching and I'll need an operation! Sounded like we were all over them for 15 minutes. Got a goal, then just decided 'we know we can keep them out, so they can have all the attacks they want and we won't bother' and that's basically the story of the next 80 minutes!
Really beginning to lose faith in Lee Clark, I will always continue support the manager and team on the field, but having constantly called for stability on the field to counter the continual disrepair off it, today showed a real naivety when calm heads and fight was needed. I don't even need to have been at the game to know what occurred, being 4-0 down at half-time is bad enough. Being 4-0 down in the current situation we find ourselves in with a sincere lack of quality and players still learning their new positions is down right damaging.

Of course, we showed the usual fight in the second half but we can't continue to fight while three nil down, making changes in the first half of games to turn things around - we have to get ahead first. We've gone behind 17 times in twenty games this calendar year from 20 games - they've wielded 7 points.
I'm baffled. I honestly thought Clark wouldn't be so naive to go with so many individuals out of position and we've been made to pay humiliatingly.

Will I say Clark out? No. Will I boo him on Saturday? No. Will I support him? Of course. Do I still have 100% faith in his decisions - unfortunately not.

We have got to attack with no fear, play to our strengths and get back to the basics of the game. The only bright note of the game is that Gray scored, he's really beginning to develop as a player which is good. One things for sure, we need a win on Saturday.

Apologies for the rant, i know that in football we must face joys and sorrows but this is not how I wanted the Easter fixtures to end for us!
Champions of the best league in the world. What a moment :wink:
Original post by bun
The thing is though, if you did get into the play-offs, you'd probably win them as the belief and momentum would be with you. Momentum is all I'm clinging on to at the moment, as we certainly don't have the quality (apart from defensively) to cope.

Our goal difference isn't good enough for just a draw. We need a win at some point over the next 2 to be sure.

I did indeed - and suffered several mini-heart attacks! Any more bum clenching and I'll need an operation! Sounded like we were all over them for 15 minutes. Got a goal, then just decided 'we know we can keep them out, so they can have all the attacks they want and we won't bother' and that's basically the story of the next 80 minutes!

You'd think so, but the belief isn't there, players are only playing for their contract now. Listening to the post match interviews no one believes we can make it. Hah, at least you held on. Sometimes parking the bus is worthwhile. Scunthorpe interestingly were really nervy, their fans on their back because they have a tendency to concede late goals so you have a chance against them. Though their pitch is so narrow that wing play is nullified and that's all we do to be honest. Still, onto the next one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1006
Original post by Cheese_Monster
You'd think so, but the belief isn't there, players are only playing for their contract now. Listening to the post match interviews no one believes we can make it. Hah, at least you held on. Sometimes parking the bus is worthwhile. Scunthorpe interestingly were really nervy, their fans on their back because they have a tendency to concede late goals so you have a chance against them. Though their pitch is so narrow that wing play is nullified and that's all we do to be honest. Still, onto the next one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah ok - fair enough then. Narrow pitch may end up suiting us if we just park the bus for the full 90 there. I'm hoping it doesn't matter and it's all wrapped up next week, but I can't see it. Whatever happens, whereever the 2 clubs are, good luck for next season! I think a bit of tinkering for you, rather than big changes, and just getting a good mindset should be good for you
Original post by Hooby
Really beginning to lose faith in Lee Clark, I will always continue support the manager and team on the field, but having constantly called for stability on the field to counter the continual disrepair off it, today showed a real naivety when calm heads and fight was needed. I don't even need to have been at the game to know what occurred, being 4-0 down at half-time is bad enough. Being 4-0 down in the current situation we find ourselves in with a sincere lack of quality and players still learning their new positions is down right damaging.

Of course, we showed the usual fight in the second half but we can't continue to fight while three nil down, making changes in the first half of games to turn things around - we have to get ahead first. We've gone behind 17 times in twenty games this calendar year from 20 games - they've wielded 7 points.
I'm baffled. I honestly thought Clark wouldn't be so naive to go with so many individuals out of position and we've been made to pay humiliatingly.

Will I say Clark out? No. Will I boo him on Saturday? No. Will I support him? Of course. Do I still have 100% faith in his decisions - unfortunately not.

We have got to attack with no fear, play to our strengths and get back to the basics of the game. The only bright note of the game is that Gray scored, he's really beginning to develop as a player which is good. One things for sure, we need a win on Saturday.

Apologies for the rant, i know that in football we must face joys and sorrows but this is not how I wanted the Easter fixtures to end for us!

The problems at Birmingham will not be fixed by a change of the manager. Like a lot of our region's clubs it is very suspect off field management which is causing the damage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hskjlclcn
Champions of the best league in the world. What a moment :wink:

Could you please put Leon Clarke in goal on Saturday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm getting real sick of Charlton :lol:

Original post by Midlander
Could you please put Leon Clarke in goal on Saturday?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be no good for you as his belly would cover the entire net.
I don't know how many neutrals watched the Leeds & Forest game, but what a horrendously boring game of football. Forest 2-0 up in 15 minutes then absolute **** all happening for the next 70 minutes.
Original post by Hooby

What a crazy game. I can't remember last time we were 4-0 up at half time- and in complete control. But we were helped by an awful Birmingham team who had the heart of a pea.

I'm glad you're not in favour of sacking Clark though, with a team like that it's no surprise you are where you are and a different manager would struggle just as much. I heard most of Birmingham's defence was on loan, and some had already been recalled, just to make things worse.

Were you at the game today? Well at half time they had a competition to put the ball in the net without bouncing from various distanced to win a prize. This guy got to the free season ticket stage which was followed by chants of "you don't know what you're doing" from the home crowd. At least they still have a sense of humour.
Original post by brocklehurst95
What a crazy game. I can't remember last time we were 4-0 up at half time- and in complete control. But we were helped by an awful Birmingham team who had the heart of a pea.

I'm glad you're not in favour of sacking Clark though, with a team like that it's no surprise you are where you are and a different manager would struggle just as much. I heard most of Birmingham's defence was on loan, and some had already been recalled, just to make things worse.

Were you at the game today? Well at half time they had a competition to put the ball in the net without bouncing from various distanced to win a prize. This guy got to the free season ticket stage which was followed by chants of "you don't know what you're doing" from the home crowd. At least they still have a sense of humour.

Gallows humour seems to be common to football fans all over. When we last got relegated we had something like 'We're going up with Donny and Forest, the Football League is upside down'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nixonsjellybeans

That would be no good for you as his belly would cover the entire net.

He will no doubt be getting a winner's medal at the end of the season. What a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He will no doubt be getting a winner's medal at the end of the season. What a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hear hear! No doubt he'll turn up for his one good appearance for us against you :wink:
Conceded in the last ****ing minute again. Absolutely ridiculous, dropped 24 points from winning positions this year. This needs to get sorted out in the summer...
Original post by brocklehurst95

Birmingham have loaned 4 players this season from Manchester United alone (Macheda, Thorpe, Lingard, Blackett), aside from Macheda they've had virtually no previous experience of professional football. Presume that the rest of their loanees are players at a similar stage in their career. With Zigic's £65k per week still on the books, no wonder they don't have two pennies to rub together.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want jokes, Conrad Logan - 28 years old, been at the club 13 years, made his debut 7 years ago and still just 23 appearances, yet since he's been our sub keeper every game he'd be in line for a medal iirc (you need 10 appearances in the matchday squad, not necessarily on the pitch as I recall). Absolutely absurd that he can take one home when all he's done for the club is warm seats.
Original post by hskjlclcn
hear hear! No doubt he'll turn up for his one good appearance for us against you :wink:

You could put your junior dingles out and it will still be a humiliation. Clarke won't come out alive, at least :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
If you want jokes, Conrad Logan - 28 years old, been at the club 13 years, made his debut 7 years ago and still just 23 appearances, yet since he's been our sub keeper every game he'd be in line for a medal iirc (you need 10 appearances in the matchday squad, not necessarily on the pitch as I recall). Absolutely absurd that he can take one home when all he's done for the club is warm seats.

Indeed. Really should be limited to players who have made the biggest contributions to the team's success.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest