The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Assassin
So fulham's shortlist for the potential managers include Kit Symmons, the assistant manager; Steve Clarke, a guy who's been linked to every lower PL / Championship club who needed a manager; and Chris Hughton, who's been in a similar situation and was sacked at the end of last season

Did they need to hire an 'expert panel' of 5 people for that? :lol:

If Chris Hughton doesn't get it, be prepared for another outbreak of how there isn't enough black managers in the game so football is automatically racist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If Symons gets a result tomorrow he'll surely land the job.
Original post by Mackay
If Symons gets a result tomorrow he'll surely land the job.

You are assuming logical minds in football club owners. I don't think the shortlist should have been made public.
Original post by Midlander
The bid has now been accepted by the Council, the Labour members of which I have told they can no longer expect my vote. It removes any chance of the club, be it under SISU's ownership or otherwise, from using the Ricoh in any capacity other than as tenants.

Wasps owe no loyalty to Coventry based sports teams-to some extent, the council did need to as their voters and taxpayers would also be City fans. We must now choose between giving Wasps a few hundred grand every year or actually building a new stadium. Rock, hard place, fecked etc

I assume the ground will become the Ryanair Arena at some point given that London Wasps will be one of the sports clubs playing there!
Original post by barnetlad
I assume the ground will become the Ryanair Arena at some point given that London Wasps will be one of the sports clubs playing there!

They can call it whatever they want and paint the seats yellow to boot. Our own council selling out to them has achieved that.
A decent 3-0 win takes us up to second :biggrin:

Watford in first look worryingly good though. The game between us both next month is looking like a a mouth-watering prospect right now!
Lennon sent to the stands in his first game as boss. Welcome back to English football!
Reply 1707
One of the more interesting refereeing decisions of the weekend:

https://vine.co/v/ObAiTBiWzL2
Original post by Scott129
A decent 3-0 win takes us up to second :biggrin:

Watford in first look worryingly good though. The game between us both next month is looking like a a mouth-watering prospect right now!

I think we'll be hard to stop this year. The depth in our squad at the moment is ridiculously good, and if Jovanokic sticks with this 4-3-2-1 he tried on Saturday, a front three of Deeney ,Vydra and Forestieri with Anya and Dyer as impact wingers should mean we won't be short of goals, hopefully the defence keeps up its improvement from last year. Forest on Tuesday will probably be our first big test.
Lee Clark's gone. Chris Hughton for a "sensational" St. Andrew's return?
Original post by shawn_o1
Lee Clark's gone. Chris Hughton for a "sensational" St. Andrew's return?

Be very surprised if it wasn't one of Coyle, McDermott, Rowett and Hughton.
Glad that Clark's gone but who will we have now?

He was a nice/passionate fella (apart from the boot throwing) and I concede that he did well under the circumstances but at times he was simply inept.

Chris Hughton has been at St Andrews this evening, as has Tony Pulis so it will be interesting to see what happens. Personally, from a number of sources and from Clark's last interview (with Tom Ross) i think his fate had already been decided before the game against bolton and that they have already chosen a replacement.

I was shocked that he had been sacked, not because I was shocked at his departure but because of the timing and the fact they did it at all, nice to know that the new greek guy (Pavos) is listening to the fans. I swore very loudly in my lecture when I was messaged and a lot didn't get what the big deal was about.
Original post by Hooby
Glad that Clark's gone but who will we have now?

He was a nice/passionate fella (apart from the boot throwing) and I concede that he did well under the circumstances but at times he was simply inept.

Chris Hughton has been at St Andrews this evening, as has Tony Pulis so it will be interesting to see what happens. Personally, from a number of sources and from Clark's last interview (with Tom Ross) i think his fate had already been decided before the game against bolton and that they have already chosen a replacement.

I was shocked that he had been sacked, not because I was shocked at his departure but because of the timing and the fact they did it at all, nice to know that the new greek guy (Pavos) is listening to the fans. I swore very loudly in my lecture when I was messaged and a lot didn't get what the big deal was about.

I'd be very surprised if you got Pulis. I don't know how your financial situation is, but I imagine Pulis will hold out for a Premier League job after his work with Palace last year. Two big candidates at the moment are supposedly Gary Rowett and Mike Phelan. Thoughts?
We'll be lucky to get anything out of Norwich tonight. I'm prepared to give Milanic to the end of the season, but if we're not in the top half t the very least then I see no reason to keep him on.
Went to Wigan away on Saturday. That makes four away games in a row I've not seen Brentford score. I'm seriously considering not going to Bolton this weekend for the sake of the club.
Original post by Jangrafess
Went to Wigan away on Saturday. That makes four away games in a row I've not seen Brentford score. I'm seriously considering not going to Bolton this weekend for the sake of the club.

Hope you went to Wigan Pier whilst you were there.
Original post by CraigWM
I'd be very surprised if you got Pulis. I don't know how your financial situation is, but I imagine Pulis will hold out for a Premier League job after his work with Palace last year. Two big candidates at the moment are supposedly Gary Rowett and Mike Phelan. Thoughts?

Interesting to see Phelan linked with the role, he claimed that he did most of Fergie's work in his last few years at Old Trafford so I want to see how he does as a manager. Not sure if Birmingham would be something he'd be interested in though, given their financial woes.

Rowett played for Birmingham and surely wouldn't cost much to release from Burton. I think it'll be him.
Rowett or Hughton for me, trevor Francis has also said he'd like a return as he has unfinished business...
Soccer Special is amazing with instant replays of all the Football League goals, why can't they do this for Soccer Saturday?
I would've had your hand off for a point at Carrow Road before hand. Even more so after going 1-0 down.

Quick Reply

Latest