Cosmo Student Homes - Grafton Street 2014/2015

Watch
Cookie23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey,

I just thought it'd be a good idea to start a thread for this year so people can find out about the accommodation, and find the people they are going to share a flat with.

I'm spending my first year here, and have already rebooked, turns out I'm in flat 156 in case anyone else is.

So yeah, post your flat number if you know it, or any questions about the accommodation, and someone will respond
Lisa1010
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm considering living there next year. How would you rate it noise-wise? Is there wifi?
Cookie23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lisa1010)
I'm considering living there next year. How would you rate it noise-wise? Is there wifi?
I've been living on the ground floor, and I've never had a problem with noise, there are parties in freshers and things, but the flats have enough space between one another that the noise is barely audible from the other flats.

There is free Wifi, and they offer an upgrade, but everyone in our flat is using the free one with no problems so I wouldn't worry about upgrading it at all.

The staff are friendly and helpful, and the flats are all modern and kept in good condition.
Rosie72
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, i'm a second year moving in next year, turns out i'm in flat 156 too, room G so i guess we'll be flatmates. Any idea where abouts in the building the flat is?
Cookie23
Rep:
?
Hey, it's block F if you've been to look around (Which I assume you have if you've booked already), if not it's at the back of the building, it's one of the higher floors.

We (My current flatmate and I) are going to have a look next week, but we expect it to be quite similar to our current flat, we just aren't quite sure about kitchen layout yet, we could take some photos of it and post them if you'd like?
Rosie72
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, that'd be great thanks.
Doogan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm the flat mate mentioned above, we're currently waiting for a email with a specific date on which we can go and look around. So when we hear back we'll let you know and hopefully upload some pictures soon after.
DevG_oan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi peeps!
I am currently a 1st year student at the University of Manchester and looking at Cosmo Student Homes for my 2nd year accommodation. I am a vegetarian so it would be really helpful to get a vegetarian flatmate(s). Quote me if you are in the same situation or have similar preferences.
Cookie23
Rep:
?
Hey Rosie,
Sorry it's taken so long to reply, the site manager has been away for a while so we couldn't confirm a viewing.
I managed to get a couple of photos of the room, and a picture of the view from that floor (6th), though it doesn't look as flattering on camera it seems. They wouldn't let us in any of the rooms for obvious reasons but they all seem identical so you should be able to see them online.

Name:  DSCN0070.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  505.5 KB
Name:  DSCN0066.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  506.0 KB
Cookie23
Rep:
?
Oops this one didn't post:
Name:  Screenshot.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  113.9 KB
ArBell
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey guys! A group of friends and I booked for 2x 2-room apartments, and been given flats x and x. Anybody knows which block/floor that might be?
dlyslexlicth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi people, I'm a 1st year at UoM and will be starting in September '14. I really like the look of Grafton St. but I'm just a little worried about the social aspect or more accurately the lack thereof. Can anybody who's living there now give me a little idea of how it's like and general impressions and such. That would be really appreciated!
joygasmic
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anybody able to provide more pictures of the rooms/toilets?
Hiraeth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ArBell)
Hey guys! A group of friends and I booked for 2x 2-room apartments, and been given flats x and x. Anybody knows which block/floor that might be?
I don't live in this flat but I've been in it. It faces onto Upper Brook Street. There are offices opposite you. You'll hear ambulances because of the hospital, but you'll never hear the noise in the courtyard. The kitchen is not as wide as some but longer than most and is next to the single room. The double room is closest to the main entrance. The bathroom is opposite the double room and is tiny like all the 2 bedroom flats. I haven't been in the other one so I can't help sorry

Edit: Both flats are the same floor actually. That's all I know. Also I probably made it sound bad. The whole place is really nice. Staff there are lovely. The furniture they provide in the living rooms for 2-bed flats could be better but chuck a throw and some cushions on the sofa and put a rug down and I swear the flats there are transformed.
ArBell
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hiraeth)
I don't live in this flat but I've been in it. x is on the fourth floor of Block D, facing onto Upper Brook Street. There are offices opposite you. You'll hear ambulances because of the hospital, but you'll never hear the noise in the courtyard. The kitchen is not as wide as some but longer than most. 105 is either the same floor or the one above, and is next to the single room. The double room is closest to the main entrance. The bathroom is opposite the double room and is tiny like all the 2 bedroom flats. I haven't been in x so I can't help sorry

Edit: x is the same floor actually. That's all I know. Also I probably made it sound bad. The whole place is really nice. Staff there are lovely. The furniture they provide in the living rooms for 2-bed flats could be better but chuck a throw and some cushions on the sofa and put a rug down and I swear the flats there are transformed.
Awww you're lovely!
Thank you so much for the detailed description!
I originally thought that x and x would be on the xth floor or something, but hey, xth floor isn't bad!
Thank you again!
Are you living there/will be living there next year?
Hiraeth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ArBell)
Awww you're lovely!
Thank you so much for the detailed description!
I originally thought that x and x would be on the 10th floor or something, but hey, x floor isn't bad!
Thank you again!
Are you living there/will be living there next year?
Well, there is a lift in every block, though the whole go through the keyfob-controlled main entrance, past the main security desk, up the stairs to the courtyard, enter your block using your keyfob shebang is a bit of a pain - but it's very secure. Higher floors have better views but that's no comfort if your lift breaks down So swings and roundabouts. I put a random sentence in the wrong part of my last post about x that I've now removed - sorry if it bemused you haha.

I'll PM you about the source of my mysterious omniscience :P
Ishabir
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, planning on living here. Going into my 3rd year. Wanted a double room but only singles are available. What's it like living here, and are the singles ok? Also is there not a facebook page were we can all connect , as would be good to get to know people before moving in.
K_Ryan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey guys, I might join UoM this Sep'14. Was going through the accomodation options, bumped into Cosmo. Since im on a budget, the ground floor looked intresting at 89 pw. Could someone give me a shout on the pros/cons of it. A few pictures would be super helpful!

Thanks!
Hiraeth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey, apparently the ground floor rooms are sold out. However, I'll list pros and cons anyway, for people who might read this in the future. You could also phone and ask if they have a waiting list, get your name down and then sign up for uni hall allocations in summer if you don't hear back.

Pros of the ground floor
If the lift ever breaks, this is way better than being on the top floor. Plus it's cheaper. The "ground floor" is really the first floor from the outside, so it's great if you have an outward facing room, but due to the courtyard being on the first floor (you should visit to understand and book to view a room if possible, much easier than with uni halls) as the main security desk entrance is ground level and then you take some stairs, the ground floor is still the ground floor once you're inside. I know that sounds weird...

Plus, ground floor at Cosmo is still nicer than anywhere at a lot of uni halls (at least for UoM). Not that it takes much to beat breeze-block walls...

Cons of the ground floor

n.b. These mostly apply to halls anywhere!
People on the ground floor probably get the worst of the noise, though you can hear it anywhere if you face the courtyard. It might be intimidating. I don't think it's likely, but I guess it is easier to break into the ground floor, though there is CCTV all over the place at Cosmo. I have never heard of this happening at Cosmo, but it doesn't mean it never will.
You can also hear people coming in at night and maybe the beep of the lift button which is probably a pain. Plus the views are not that great. But they're no worse than most halls.

Essentially, if I was going to live on the ground floor at any halls, it would be Cosmo. But if you want to party ALL THE TIME, there's no point being here anyway. I think people are more interested in working here, possibly due to the high number of international students who may feel under more pressure to do well, since a) they pay more and b) I think they are under certain obligations like attendance etc (we all are, but I believe there are higher requirements and greater enforcement for international students because of visa laws etc). That's not to say that international students don't party though - there are even weekly dedicated international student party nights. But I digress...

Freshers and Cosmo
Also, for the purposes of making friends, I don't know if I would recommend the place to freshers. I would at least suggest not living in a 2-bed flat as a fresher, unless you're living with your boyfriend or girlfriend (which I also wouldn't recommend until 3rd year) and want to share the flat. If you're a mature or a transfer student, then that's a case-by-case thing. This said, I wouldn't stake your bets on maintaining your hall friends throughout uni. You'll find your real friends at societies more often than not, whether that's ballroom or badminton or rowing or chess or gaming or all of the above

If anyone reading this does decide to live here, though, please don't make loads of noise in the courtyard late at night. You can hear it wherever you are, any floor, as long as your room faces the courtyard, as nearly half of them do. Though security will come yell at you if you do make too much noise.

Singles vs doubles
I personally would never go for the single just because I love having a double bed too much. It's comfy and sprawly and so much better for making into a den to play PS3 (also study I guess). Your opinion may depend on whether you plan to share your bed much, whether you can be bothered buying more expensive double bedding, whether you think it's worth the money or whether . Double rooms are also bigger, naturally, but a standard is not really tiny for student accommodation. It's the tiny bathroom pods you'll have to adjust to...

Another note: Laundry is £3.50. That's £2.50 to wash and £1 to dry. However, a colour catcher will save a lot of trouble (about £1-1.50 for five from say Tesco) so it's not like you have to wash your greens separately from your blues or whatever.

Plus, staff are lovely. I can't explain how lovely they are. It's scary.

For the past couple months there has been no post on Saturdays. It gets delivered on Mondays because then there is someone to sign for it.

Finally, whatever floor you live on, GET A COLOURFUL RUG. I would suggest purple or blue or something. The carpets are your average neutral boring colour and a rug will seriously tie your room together. But maybe hold off on the rug until you see your room so you get the right size.

One more thing - it's actually called Sanctuary since last summer, not Cosmo, but it hardly ever gets called that. Just call it Sanctuary to staff. Cosmo is shorter and has stuck so far. There is a Facebook page, but no group. People shouldn't really be posting their room numbers either, so just be careful about that if you do join ones. Students can sometimes get targeted after posting their addresses online, and someone coming to see "Joe, he lives in Room 5234203" might get into a building if that's legit. At Cosmo, people who are clearly not the usual student demographic will be questioned and someone will phone you to come and confirm at the main desk, but if you're targeted by a student, more risk of them just getting in.

That said, if you leave your flat locked, there's very little chance of them getting into your flat without a key. Plus all bedrooms can be locked from the inside and the outside. So I'm not trying to scare anyone. Just be sensible
Amati
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hiraeth)
Hey, apparently the ground floor rooms are sold out. However, I'll list pros and cons anyway, for people who might read this in the future. You could also phone and ask if they have a waiting list, get your name down and then sign up for uni hall allocations in summer if you don't hear back.

Pros of the ground floor
If the lift ever breaks, this is way better than being on the top floor. Plus it's cheaper. The "ground floor" is really the first floor from the outside, so it's great if you have an outward facing room, but due to the courtyard being on the first floor (you should visit to understand and book to view a room if possible, much easier than with uni halls) as the main security desk entrance is ground level and then you take some stairs, the ground floor is still the ground floor once you're inside. I know that sounds weird...

Plus, ground floor at Cosmo is still nicer than anywhere at a lot of uni halls (at least for UoM). Not that it takes much to beat breeze-block walls...

Cons of the ground floor

n.b. These mostly apply to halls anywhere!
People on the ground floor probably get the worst of the noise, though you can hear it anywhere if you face the courtyard. It might be intimidating. I don't think it's likely, but I guess it is easier to break into the ground floor, though there is CCTV all over the place at Cosmo. I have never heard of this happening at Cosmo, but it doesn't mean it never will.
You can also hear people coming in at night and maybe the beep of the lift button which is probably a pain. Plus the views are not that great. But they're no worse than most halls.

Essentially, if I was going to live on the ground floor at any halls, it would be Cosmo. But if you want to party ALL THE TIME, there's no point being here anyway. I think people are more interested in working here, possibly due to the high number of international students who may feel under more pressure to do well, since a) they pay more and b) I think they are under certain obligations like attendance etc (we all are, but I believe there are higher requirements and greater enforcement for international students because of visa laws etc). That's not to say that international students don't party though - there are even weekly dedicated international student party nights. But I digress...

Freshers and Cosmo
Also, for the purposes of making friends, I don't know if I would recommend the place to freshers. I would at least suggest not living in a 2-bed flat as a fresher, unless you're living with your boyfriend or girlfriend (which I also wouldn't recommend until 3rd year) and want to share the flat. If you're a mature or a transfer student, then that's a case-by-case thing. This said, I wouldn't stake your bets on maintaining your hall friends throughout uni. You'll find your real friends at societies more often than not, whether that's ballroom or badminton or rowing or chess or gaming or all of the above

If anyone reading this does decide to live here, though, please don't make loads of noise in the courtyard late at night. You can hear it wherever you are, any floor, as long as your room faces the courtyard, as nearly half of them do. Though security will come yell at you if you do make too much noise.

Singles vs doubles
I personally would never go for the single just because I love having a double bed too much. It's comfy and sprawly and so much better for making into a den to play PS3 (also study I guess). Your opinion may depend on whether you plan to share your bed much, whether you can be bothered buying more expensive double bedding, whether you think it's worth the money or whether . Double rooms are also bigger, naturally, but a standard is not really tiny for student accommodation. It's the tiny bathroom pods you'll have to adjust to...

Another note: Laundry is £3.50. That's £2.50 to wash and £1 to dry. However, a colour catcher will save a lot of trouble (about £1-1.50 for five from say Tesco) so it's not like you have to wash your greens separately from your blues or whatever.

Plus, staff are lovely. I can't explain how lovely they are. It's scary.

For the past couple months there has been no post on Saturdays. It gets delivered on Mondays because then there is someone to sign for it.

Finally, whatever floor you live on, GET A COLOURFUL RUG. I would suggest purple or blue or something. The carpets are your average neutral boring colour and a rug will seriously tie your room together. But maybe hold off on the rug until you see your room so you get the right size.

One more thing - it's actually called Sanctuary since last summer, not Cosmo, but it hardly ever gets called that. Just call it Sanctuary to staff. Cosmo is shorter and has stuck so far. There is a Facebook page, but no group. People shouldn't really be posting their room numbers either, so just be careful about that if you do join ones. Students can sometimes get targeted after posting their addresses online, and someone coming to see "Joe, he lives in Room 5234203" might get into a building if that's legit. At Cosmo, people who are clearly not the usual student demographic will be questioned and someone will phone you to come and confirm at the main desk, but if you're targeted by a student, more risk of them just getting in.

That said, if you leave your flat locked, there's very little chance of them getting into your flat without a key. Plus all bedrooms can be locked from the inside and the outside. So I'm not trying to scare anyone. Just be sensible
Wow, thanks for the detailed information. I was going to ask if its the same with the sanctuary Grafton, but you have already answered that. I've been looking for a very suitable accommodation and I think I'll settle for Grafton. I'm a prospective postgraduate student at the Manchester Business School and I hope I won't be odd and will see fellow postgrads there though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (64)
30.05%
No (149)
69.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise