The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni. When's the best time?

I'm am generally not happy at university and I hate the course I've chosen (Biochemistry). I'm seriously considering dropping out but I don't know whether to drop out now (just started my second term) or try to bear it until the end of the year. My hesitation is because I want to apply for a midwifery course next year and if I drop out half way through the year I fear it will look bad. Do you think waiting out the year will make a significant difference to how universities view me? Does anyone have any personal experience of this?
Moved to University Life :smile:
Reply 2
The generic advice is to speak to your tutor who will advise you on this. They usually do know what they're talking about though so that should be your first point of contact

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
For financial reasons i'd say as soon as possible. Whether you drop out now or at the end of the year, if you know that you've made the wrong choice of course then I don't think universities will look badly upon you for doing something about it. It happens.

I do have experience of this. Although I didn't decide to drop out until the end of the first year. When I reapplied I never even mentioned that i'd been at university the year before, so I don't know whether they knew or not.
Reply 4
Think about switching courses for the end of the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending