Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillWorrell)
    Sort of got caught up seeing a girl when I first started at uni and I think mostly because of this I didn't really make any good friends in the first semester. I only really started thinking about this recently when everyones starting to get their second year houses sorted. It seems to me like everyone's made their friendship groups and everyone's getting their houses for next year so now I don't really know how I can go about making friends or what I'm going to do next year if I do get some friends and they've sorted their house out for next year. I've had a look into joining societies but none of them really interest me too much. I need help
    You need to try to branch out and talk to people. Societies are the easiest way if you aren't friendly with many people in your halls. I'd suggest joining 2-3 societies that vaguely interest you. Try to find something that sort of drives you as a passion, whether that be sport or anything really. Then try and be yourself and remain in contact with those people that you meet after being actively involved in those societies, turning up to everything. Aside from that, try to be confident, well-groomed and look after yourself by going to the gym. Where are you at university? I know I got coerced into living in a second year hour with people from halls who I had little in common with and never really spoke to them, given that you have to decide on houses so soon. Just try to meet new people, talk to them, stay in contact and be brave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCcfc92)
    You need to try to branch out and talk to people. Societies are the easiest way if you aren't friendly with many people in your halls. I'd suggest joining 2-3 societies that vaguely interest you. Try to find something that sort of drives you as a passion, whether that be sport or anything really. Then try and be yourself and remain in contact with those people that you meet after being actively involved in those societies, turning up to everything. Aside from that, try to be confident, well-groomed and look after yourself by going to the gym. Where are you at university? I know I got coerced into living in a second year hour with people from halls who I had little in common with and never really spoke to them, given that you have to decide on houses so soon. Just try to meet new people, talk to them, stay in contact and be brave.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like the people in my flat too much, they seem like nice enough people but just not the kind of people I'd want to be friends with. I'm at Southampton. Its not that I'm shy, I'm perfectly confident with new people but I think its different going into a group where everyone's friends already and where do I actually even make new friends, I was thinking seminars and trying to meet people on nights out?
    Coursemates is a way but only if you see them every day at lectures/seminars. Doesn't work if you only in uni for an hour or so a day with lots of different modules. Halls is a mixed bag... you get put in at random and those who make close friends with flatmates do so for the sake of it, as opposed to finding people with shared interests... you might stay in contact with a few in your block but some just stick around with the random people in their flat which i find odd... mainly because they don't do anything outside of their course. I made most of my friends through the cricket club. When I go back for post-grad, I intend to do the same and also more through my course, as I am doing Law now, so it will be more intense then Politics was in terms of contact hours but I am also considering joining a society, which I didn't do before.

I would suggest joining societies strongly. Just give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCcfc92)
    Coursemates is a way but only if you see them every day at lectures/seminars. Doesn't work if you only in uni for an hour or so a day with lots of different modules. Halls is a mixed bag... you get put in at random and those who make close friends with flatmates do so for the sake of it, as opposed to finding people with shared interests... you might stay in contact with a few in your block but some just stick around with the random people in their flat which i find odd... mainly because they don't do anything outside of their course. I made most of my friends through the cricket club. When I go back for post-grad, I intend to do the same and also more through my course, as I am doing Law now, so it will be more intense then Politics was in terms of contact hours but I am also considering joining a society, which I didn't do before.

I would suggest joining societies strongly. Just give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing law so almost all of my modules will be the same as other peoples. I did have another idea but I think it may sound a little strange. I know of someone through mutual friends who lives close by to me who I think I'd get on well with from the couple of times we've met, I was thinking if there was a way I could start speaking to him then it may solve my problems
    You can't rely on one person. Just be a bit more proactive and join societies otherwise it's going to be very difficult if you keep refusing to branch out. It's easier when you are in first year so now is the right time to change your ways. Give yourself the next 10 weeks this term and go for it. Don't hide or you will regret it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.