The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Very pleased for Venus to make the second week of a slam for the first time in more than 3 years.
Original post by Rakas21
The winner of Djokovic vs Nikishori/Murray vs Nadal.

I think this is definitely the most likely unless Stan beats Nishikori of course which could easily happen,

Shocked so many people have backed Berdych to make the final, unlike with Wawrinka's form in 2013 nothing in Berdych's performances tells me he's ready to star in another slam final but I guess it only takes one or two upsets for his draw to completely open up and for him to get to the final
Original post by lizzy95
I think this is definitely the most likely unless Stan beats Nishikori of course which could easily happen,

Shocked so many people have backed Berdych to make the final, unlike with Wawrinka's form in 2013 nothing in Berdych's performances tells me he's ready to star in another slam final but I guess it only takes one or two upsets for his draw to completely open up and for him to get to the final

I guess people expect Berdych to have a break out year? I have no idea.

-------------------------------------------------------

These time differences man :lol:
Original post by IDukem
I guess people expect Berdych to have a break out year? I have no idea.

-------------------------------------------------------

These time differences man :lol:

I guess it's possible but Berdych seems like a bit of a mental midget against the big guys and like a perennial choker to me so a lot would have to fall in place in my mind for that to happen but again if Cilic and Stan could do it maybe Berdych can
Original post by lizzy95
I guess it's possible but Berdych seems like a bit of a mental midget against the big guys and like a perennial choker to me so a lot would have to fall in place in my mind for that to happen but again if Cilic and Stan could do it maybe Berdych can

Are you classified as a choker if you weren't a favourite to win? If Berdych lost in a slam final against one of say Murray, Nadal, Novak etc, would he be classified as a choker if the favourite was one of the three I mentioned?
Original post by IDukem
Are you classified as a choker if you weren't a favourite to win? If Berdych lost in a slam final against one of say Murray, Nadal, Novak etc, would he be classified as a choker if the favourite was one of the three I mentioned?

It's the way he performs against them and not the result. He has the perfect game to trouble Nadal and Djokovic but he usually mentally folds against them. He almost suffered a double bagel at the hands of Novak recently. With his big serve and big ground strokes that shouldn't be happening.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by IDukem

Like what's already been said it's just the fact that it seems like 90% of the time when he plays the big guys he believes he's gonna lose so puts in a crap performance hence why all the big guys own him. He's got the potential to beat them on the big stage, he's done it to Djokovic and Federer in slams so why he hasn't pushed on like Wawrinka and actually got a slam by now is a mystery to me, He's not a young player anymore and is older than Nadal, Djokovic and Murray so in my eyes for the most part he's choked away his career to this point.
Original post by K1NG93
It's the way he performs against them and not the result. He has the perfect game to trouble Nadal and Djokovic but he usually mentally folds against them. He almost suffered a double bagel at the hands of Novak recently. With his big serve and big ground strokes that shouldn't be happening.

Original post by lizzy95
Like what's already been said it's just the fact that it seems like 90% of the time when he plays the big guys he believes he's gonna lose so puts in a crap performance hence why all the big guys own him. He's got the potential to beat them on the big stage, he's done it to Djokovic and Federer in slams so why he hasn't pushed on like Wawrinka and actually got a slam by now is a mystery to me, He's not a young player anymore and is older than Nadal, Djokovic and Murray so in my eyes for the most part he's choked away his career to this point.

Ahhh fair enough, truth be told I haven't watched a lot of Berdych recently.

One tennis player I'm hoping to improve as her career goes along is Bouchard. I've liked what I have seen so far and I think she has what it takes to make it to winning slams eventually.
Original post by IDukem
Ahhh fair enough, truth be told I haven't watched a lot of Berdych recently.

One tennis player I'm hoping to improve as her career goes along is Bouchard. I've liked what I have seen so far and I think she has what it takes to make it to winning slams eventually.

Yep totally wouldn't surprise me if Bouchard won a slam this year or next because she's got bundles of potential and has shown she can perform well on all surfaces. Keys as well could be top 10 in the future if she's consistent, she's got such a powerful game if she put it all together and cuts out the errors she can beat anyone.

On the men's side Kyrgios is looking like more than a one hit wonder and I'm excited to see if he can be the next big thing in the men's game, he's so young so he can still improve a lot so hopefully once the Big 4 are gone tennis will be in safe hands
Original post by lizzy95
Yep totally wouldn't surprise me if Bouchard won a slam this year or next because she's got bundles of potential and has shown she can perform well on all surfaces. Keys as well could be top 10 in the future if she's consistent, she's got such a powerful game if she put it all together and cuts out the errors she can beat anyone.

On the men's side Kyrgios is looking like more than a one hit wonder and I'm excited to see if he can be the next big thing in the men's game, he's so young so he can still improve a lot so hopefully once the Big 4 are gone tennis will be in safe hands

Bouchard's can cause a match up problem for many as a result of her well rounded abilities. I hope she wins one too, she seems to have likeable personality to go along with her talent.

That does make me wonder what the landscape will look like when the big four retires :moon:
Regards Berdych, I wouldn't always say he shrinks against the top guys, as he has pulled out some big wins from time to time against them at the majors - at his best he's beaten Djokovic, Federer and Murray, and pushed Nadal very close. I think what it really is, is that the top guys are simply on another level to him. It takes more than a big serve and power to beat them. Nadal and Djokovic in particular seem to have no problem neutralising his power and have given him an absolute thumping a few times. His loss to Novak in Beijing actually illustrated this - Berdych didn't play badly at all or see hampered mentally. Djokovic was just too good that day. I think however he is very predictable against the big 4 - with a serve like his he should forcing the play by net rushing more, mixing up the play that way, as he will usually be second best from the baseline.

As for the final, likelihood is Djokovic-Nadal I guess but less of a likelihood than in previous years. Stan is looking great, as is Nishikori and Raonic, and Dimitrov could well knock Murray out tomorrow. I'd give Stan and Kei a good shot at Djokovic, should they make it there. Kei has to make it through a massive scrap with Ferrer first though. Berdych doesn't feature anywhere in the mix for me.
I tend to think that he just struggles to play against the top guys rather than chokes in the traditional sense. I rather tend to view a choke as something like Verdasco vs Murray at Wimbledon and Federer vs Tsonga or Federer vs Djokovic (US OPEN)..
Agreed Rakas. See Berdych doesn't really have a plan B when plan A doesn't work. He tends to run out of ideas, and when it doesn't seem as if there's a way through he doesn't have anything else to fall back on.

A choke is a situation where a player dominates a match and when it comes down to winning the crucial points, trips up and goes on to throw away points. Definitely Verdasco-Murray, and I recall an element of Janowicz-Murray the same year. Djokovic came close to choking away the Wimbledon final last year you might say.
Original post by Sirocco11
Agreed Rakas. See Berdych doesn't really have a plan B when plan A doesn't work. He tends to run out of ideas, and when it doesn't seem as if there's a way through he doesn't have anything else to fall back on.

A choke is a situation where a player dominates a match and when it comes down to winning the crucial points, trips up and goes on to throw away points. Definitely Verdasco-Murray, and I recall an element of Janowicz-Murray the same year. Djokovic came close to choking away the Wimbledon final last year you might say.

Yeah probably the best way to describe him he's just unlucky he's in an era with at least 4 guys who are better than him and then another bunch on his level that can and in a lot of cases do beat him in the big matches as both Stan and Cilic did last year
Is Dimitrov on court yet or have we got really lucky with reasonable timing?
Dimitrov is overrated. He ain't no baby Fed.... More like baby Gasquet.
Andy looking great out there - slow start, but otherwise very good. Berdych has also looked good so far, and he's set up a 2012 QF rematch with Nadal. Even without Fed, this is going to be very interesting - I'm backing Murray to emerge from that section.

Edit: My thoughts on Tomas Berdych - I think he's become more consistent recently and he's going to be a big threat at Melbourne, even for Rafa. It's a quarter-final (so he won't choke like he does in finals!), which helps of course.
(edited 9 years ago)
Whoever wins out of Murray and Dimitrov, I hope they crush Kyrgios in the next round. Cannot stand the guy. It's hard to care about his potential when he's making code violations and being a whiny primadonna, like he was today.
Dimitrov needs to be a bit more aggressive and improve his serve.
Hearing more on Twitter about Kyrgios' exploits today, which included racket throwing, consistent obscenities (with no warning) and yelling at a ball boy for his towel. Nothing wrong with a bit of edge, but that is terrible attitude. I can't get behind this guy.

Quick Reply

Latest