The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IDukem
I like Lisicki! She's the epitome of confidence making or breaking her though, I really wanted her to win Wimbledon a few years ago when she went on that amazing run. Keys is one for the future and I'm a fan of Bouchard, she's got a great game and will only get better. I don't necessarily like Serena, but respect to where respect is due, she's a champion of the highest order.

It'd be good to see Novak get the career slam, but it's Nadal at RG...:tongue: Like I said, it's win-win for me :wink:

In terms who I like, I guess I root for these guys a little more than everyone else, but I just want to watch a good match to be honest.
Mens: Del Potro, Nadal
Women: Bouchard, Lisicki, Sharapova (although the screaming can be hard to put up with :tongue:)

Edit: Just realised that the WTA I like are all blonde, sorry Sirocco1 :teehee:

Ha ha no worries - I don't discriminate against the players themselves, just the media I guess. Lisicki is still one of my favourites, but it's just I get to so little of her from being knocked out so early in draws much of the time. I love watching her play, and also as a person she seems to be genuinely one of the nicest people around. So easy to endear to.
Gasquet & Ivanovic 4 lyf.

Tbh I have respect for so many players, but the scenes if one of these two were to win a Grand Slam somehow would be be something else!
Players with poor record in grand slam finals:

Murray: 0-4 at AO Open
Borg: 0-4 at US Open
Federer: 1-4 at RG
Djokovic: 1-4 at US Open
Roddick: 0-3 at Wimbledon
Lendl: 3-5 at US Open
Unlucky, Andy.
Original post by Sirocco11
Ha ha no worries - I don't discriminate against the players themselves, just the media I guess. Lisicki is still one of my favourites, but it's just I get to so little of her from being knocked out so early in draws much of the time. I love watching her play, and also as a person she seems to be genuinely one of the nicest people around. So easy to endear to.

I agree to be honest haha!

I'll never understand how people 'hate' a player. Like, Bouchard I can understand why people don't like her game, but her as a person!? What exactly has she done (not aimed at you) to be 'hated'!? :lol: Also shes overrated!? She's been on the tour for just over two years and has managed to win a title and has done well in the slams. How the heck is that overrated at 20 years old? Yeah Sharapova won a slam and Serena was Serena at the same age, but flipping heck :lol:

Why can't people just respect players without having to berate them as people I don't know. The whole Nadal vs Federer fandom was tiresome having to read through pages of butthurt fans of both players slagging each other off. They're both great...end.

Edit: Actually I can see why some may hate players if they threaten to ram balls down someone's throat or just shouting in matches in general.
But I personally don't hate a player, I dislike some though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smash50
Djokovic vs Murray, and Djokovic wins it in 4 sets.

Looks like I was spot on :biggrin:
lol

Disgraceful journalism from the BBC, talking about "the Scots going home disappointed".

What is the point in sending your - English- reporters out to Melbourne if when Murray loses you can act as if he's not really 'yours' anyway so it doesn't matter. Tae **** with you, smug so and so.

Really, really irks me.
Original post by RD208
Disgraceful journalism from the BBC, talking about "the Scots going home disappointed".

What is the point in sending your - English- reporters out to Melbourne if when Murray loses you can act as if he's not really 'yours' anyway so it doesn't matter. Tae **** with you, smug so and so.

Really, really irks me.

Murray is Scottish (and British, obviously). I don't really see the problem there...
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Murray is Scottish (and British, obviously). I don't really see the problem there...

He represents Great Britain. So why would a journalist say that its Scots who are disappointed? Obviously the whole of Britain supports him, so why, when he loses, do the BBC act as if they're not bothered because he's not 'one of their own'? I know it seems really insignificant but its those subtleties that really bring about the whole Scotland v England culture, and its not necessary.
Original post by RD208
He represents Great Britain. So why would a journalist say that its Scots who are disappointed? Obviously the whole of Britain supports him, so why, when he loses, do the BBC act as if they're not bothered because he's not 'one of their own'? I know it seems really insignificant but its those subtleties that really bring about the whole Scotland v England culture, and its not necessary.

Fellow Scottish Brit here, i certainly don't.

I don't think the BBCis overly guilty considering how far up his rectum they'll be at Wimbledon.
Original post by RD208

Oh I thought you meant "The Scot's going home disappointed" (ie, Murray is disappointed).
Murray will improve after today I'm sure.

He's had a rough 18-24 months, but it's good he's back in the top four.
Does anyone have any guesses for female champion at Rolland Garros this year? I feel like Serena is playing well on the hard court but on clay.. I'm not sure it brings out her best. I wouldn't be too shocked to see Halep do well tbh, her consistency and movement should be quite an asset.
Original post by CiaranAndrew
Does anyone have any guesses for female champion at Rolland Garros this year? I feel like Serena is playing well on the hard court but on clay.. I'm not sure it brings out her best. I wouldn't be too shocked to see Halep do well tbh, her consistency and movement should be quite an asset.

Sharapova. Earlier in her career, clay was just not her court at all, but I personally believe that she's turned that around as it's now one of her favourable courts to play on. Never discount Serena and Halep, Keys and Bouchard all could be in with a shout too.

Yeah Halep is a good shout, or possibly Shara.

Hard to say - I would say Sharapova has a good shot at defending her title actually. Serena seems most vulnerable at the French Open I think, so I wouldn't be surprised either way between winning it and getting knocked out before the final. Halep should hopefully be a major fixture again this year because she's shown that she has a game that is strongly tailored to clay, and she got so close last year.

The Women's draw is fairly open when it comes to RG. There always seems to be a few surprises there, although the same could be said of Wimbledon.

I'd expect one of Williams/Sharapova to make the final, but the women's rankings are just so strange, players ranked as low as 20-30 could do it. I feel like there are some players there, such as Radwanska, Wozniaki, Jankovic, Ivanovic, that are consistent and have flirted with success, but have never really stepped up - they have a neat game but there's nothing explosive there. Then you have the likes of Kvitova who have so much power, and can beat anybody on their day, but blow hot and cold.

I'm going to mention Venus Williams, cause she deserves some kind of grand slam run. Its clear she has the ability but no longer the fitness to survive at the top.
Cash's comments about Murray are tasteless.
Original post by Mackay
Cash's comments about Murray are tasteless.
Hmm, I thought it was a pretty fair assessment personally.

Quick Reply

Latest