The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

How far do you think Rafa will go?
Reply 4221
I think Federer will win, tbh, if he keeps up his new aggressive Edberg-style. It's taken a lot of players off guard. I even think Lopez could make a fair dent, he's been playing really well on the hard courts lately.
US Open being the most unpredictable slam I'll probably wait till the quarters or semis before making any concrete predictions. 1st day's barely over and already Nishikori is out, he was some people's dark horse. Wawrinka could lose early or win it all, Rafa can lose early, heck look at what happened at the Australian Open, Roger could be knocked out early too. I think of all the top guys Djokovic and Murray are the most likely to go deep, not saying that they're the top 2 favourites but in terms of making it deep in slams and not getting upset they've been the most consistent in recent times. Cilic may also fly under the radar again this year but we'll see.
I'm staying up for Rafa's match, but they haven't even started Serena's yet! Probably looking at a 2:30AM start ...
Interesting Day 1. Lost count of the number of ATP players that retired and quite a few seeds out on the women's side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4225
Kokkinakis' serve has gone VERY limp, seems to have hammy cramp real bad...
Original post by RyJ
I think Federer will win, tbh, if he keeps up his new aggressive Edberg-style. It's taken a lot of players off guard. I even think Lopez could make a fair dent, he's been playing really well on the hard courts lately.

I Think he should've saved his running to the net tactic till the U.S. open.
Murray and Nole are great puzzle solvers and yes they were stuffed in cincy against Rog but I'm sure they will find a plan to combat that.
I wouldn't be surprised if Murray or Djokovic served and volleyed on the second serve to keep Rog off balance and if he tried that running thing he won't win the point often.
I feel Karlovic would beat Rog anyway or Isner or Berdych.
Who else is sensing another Novak vs Stan final?
Original post by Rkai01
I Think he should've saved his running to the net tactic till the U.S. open.
Murray and Nole are great puzzle solvers and yes they were stuffed in cincy against Rog but I'm sure they will find a plan to combat that.
I wouldn't be surprised if Murray or Djokovic served and volleyed on the second serve to keep Rog off balance and if he tried that running thing he won't win the point often.
I feel Karlovic would beat Rog anyway or Isner or Berdych.

He says he's unlikely to use the tactic quite as much at the US Open, but variety will need to be there to keep the top guys guessing. I think that's one thing Federer has done particularly well with Murray over the last 2 years (as well as serving well).
No way Karlovic or Isner take out Fed in a Slam. Berdych has a shot, but he's not in threatening form and the top 3 have all demolished him this year.
Retirements continue to flood in on Day 2, not sure exactly what's going on.

Wawrinka up shortly, Murray on after 2am against Kygrios. Could be entertaining, but most likely a straight sets affair.
Retirements Men
Andujar
Stepanek
Dolgopolov
Monfils
Lu
Klizan
Gulbis
Kokkinakis
Nedovyesov

Retirements Women
Diatchenko
Erakovic

This is already worse than Wimbledon 2013.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nadal needed an extra set in an R1 match, that's not good.
wtf is happening? sniper in the crowd shooting half the men? when does ivo karlovic play? looking for some aces in a tournament record from him
Original post by Skkc16
Retirements Men
Andujar
Stepanek
Dolgopolov
Monfils
Lu
Klizan
Gulbis
Kokkinakis
Nedovyesov

Retirements Women
Diatchenko
Erakovic

This is already worse than Wimbledon 2013.

Posted from TSR Mobile

kokki is busy doing you know what lols.
Reply 4234
**** sake, Gulbis... You had that match. Easy.
Professional job by Murray.
Reply 4236
Lopez made an amazing comeback against Fish! Sad to Fish go, right enough.. :frown:
Murray really shouldn't be struggling against players like Mannarino. Lost the first set to him.
It's worse now - Murray 2 sets down in the 2nd round, playing about as average as I've seen him play.
Last time Murray went out before the 3rd round of a Slam was at the 2008 Australian Open. The only time he's lost in Round 2 was at the 2005 US Open!

Quick Reply

Latest