The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

I love watching the Williams sisters do battle. I'll miss that when the time comes for either (probably Venus first) to retire.
Original post by Ashnard
He's the best QF opponent that Federer could have hoped for besides for Lopez perhaps. When Federer loses, it is usually either to a top-4 player or to a big hitter. He very rarely struggles against other finesse players. His 14-2 head-to-head against Gasquet bears this out.

True, I think Gasquet would have to do what Federer might not be used to, or play out of his mind.

If Anderson plays like he did against Murray, then Wawrinka has his work cut out. Still backing Wawrinka to win though.
Azarenka vs Halep should be good.

I'm glad Azarenka is climbing back up the rankings pretty quickly. Top 20 now.
We have the Swiss semi. I'm gunning for Federer but I'll be going for a Swiss summer either way.

Glory to the great one for number 18.

Sadly, Halep beat Azarenka (pretty sure she's beat everybody bar the top 2 this year though).
Pleased that Federer made it through :biggrin:
Well f*ck. I'm a Djokovic supporter but with Fed destroying Gasquet and Stan raping Anderson they really seem to be in top shape. And Djokovic relatively struggled against Lopez. I just hope he doesn't lose to that dickhead Cilic.
Federer and Wawrinka both look like they've hardly made it out of 2nd gear the whole tournament. That should be an interesting game.
Novak is under par at the moment and Cilic has played 1 4-setter and 2 5-setters already. Nevertheless, I hope both semi-finals will produce high-quality tennis
Fed took 87 minutes in a GS QF.. Just amazing at 34.
Reply 4288
Original post by Rakas21
Fed took 87 minutes in a GS QF.. Just amazing at 34.

Against Gasquet no less!
Might try and watch the SF
Remember how Federer played against Murray at Wimbledon at his age it's harder to play at a high level so consistently so it'll be interesting to see how he plays against Stan who's getting hotter and hotter each match he plays. Djokovic has looked so so and could struggle if Cilic plays well but Cilic has dropped even more sets than Djokovic and then there's the mental barrier of playing someone you've never beaten so I think Djokovic will edge it but won't be surprised if Cilic pulls off the upset, like Nishikori did. All in all it's still possible that despite the upsets we might have the top two seeds contesting both the men and women's finals which would be pretty cool if it happens.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hard courts should be the easiest on him (fast and aggressive) so it helps him against defensive players like Djokovic, but its possible that Warwinka being a power player could simply have too much pace on the shots for Fed.
Original post by lizzy95
Remember how Federer played against Murray at Wimbledon at his age it's harder to play at a high level so consistently so it'll be interesting to see how he plays against Stan who's getting hotter and hotter each match he plays. Djokovic has looked so so and could struggle if Cilic plays well but Cilic has dropped even more sets than Djokovic and then there's the mental barrier of playing someone you've never beaten so I think Djokovic will edge it but won't be surprised if Cilic pulls off the upset, like Nishikori did. All in all it's still possible that despite the upsets we might have the top two seeds contesting both the men and women's finals which would be pretty cool if it happens.

Yes, it is difficult to sustain a high level of play. I actually don't think either Federer or Wawrinka have displayed their best tennis yet - the fact that Fed hasn't dropped a set yet is quite surprising actually, so it's good that both these guys are looking to peak at the end of the tournament.
Djokovic has been nowhere near his best so far and the North American summer swing has been difficult for him in the past, but I think this is where he really picks up as well.
My gut instinct right now is that Djokovic won't win the tournament and either Federer or Wawrinka will win it. But I don't have the guts to place a lay bet on Djokovic. :frown:
Original post by snowman77
My gut instinct right now is that Djokovic won't win the tournament and either Federer or Wawrinka will win it. But I don't have the guts to place a lay bet on Djokovic. :frown:

The US Open (on the men's side) is so unpredictable so I don't blame you for being apprehensive. Anyone of the 4 left could conceivably win it
Original post by lizzy95
The US Open (on the men's side) is so unpredictable so I don't blame you for being apprehensive. Anyone of the 4 left could conceivably win it
In my opinion, Djokovic isn't playing well enough to warrant odds of 1.9 to win the tournament. Federer and Wawrinka look stronger. Djokovic usually loses in the semis or finals here. Federer also beat him in Cincinnati and Wawrinka beat him at the French. I'm not saying Djokovic won't win, but I think his chance is a fair bit worse than the odds are suggesting.
Damn it federer is such a grandpa but a beast, as much as id love stan to beat him, not gna happen
Original post by snowman77
In my opinion, Djokovic isn't playing well enough to warrant odds of 1.9 to win the tournament. Federer and Wawrinka look stronger. Djokovic usually loses in the semis or finals here. Federer also beat him in Cincinnati and Wawrinka beat him at the French. I'm not saying Djokovic won't win, but I think his chance is a fair bit worse than the odds are suggesting.

Like I've said before Federer has his moments when he plays like a genius and then the next match he just falls away unlike Djokovic and Wawrinka who tend to get better deeper into tournaments that's why in my mind Federer will be the underdog in his match against Wawrinka and if he gets to the final to face Cilic or Djokovic. Don't get me wrong over 3 sets Federer can beat anyone but over 5 he's anything but a safe bet. The closest to a safe bet is Djokovic hence the odds, none of the other 3 have been anywhere near as consistent at the US Open or anywhere else since 2011
Original post by lizzy95
Like I've said before Federer has his moments when he plays like a genius and then the next match he just falls away unlike Djokovic and Wawrinka who tend to get better deeper into tournaments that's why in my mind Federer will be the underdog in his match against Wawrinka and if he gets to the final to face Cilic or Djokovic. Don't get me wrong over 3 sets Federer can beat anyone but over 5 he's anything but a safe bet. The closest to a safe bet is Djokovic hence the odds, none of the other 3 have been anywhere near as consistent at the US Open or anywhere else since 2011
Now you put it that way, they all have good and bad points. It's probably safe to just not bet then. :lol:
I reckon if Stan gets through Federer tomorrow he'll take it all, regardless of who he faces in the final. I think probably the most competitive final we could get would be between Stan and Djokovic. It would be great to see Cilic in the final again though, I've been really happy that he's been able to show last year wasn't a lightning strike and nothing more.

Quick Reply

Latest