The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Multitalented me
In terms of the AO, I just hope Nadal, Djokovic & Wawrinka are fit & can play somewhere near their best to make it more interesting. Fed still the favourite, with the likes of Dimitrov, Goffin & Delpo seemingly his closest challengers. Too early for Zverev I think, & hopefully Kyrgios doesn't have another meltdown as I'd like to see him go deep.

I have a feeling all three will be fit. Zverev didn't play that well in Hopman Cup, and he never does too well in Grand Slams so I don't see him going much further than 4R or QF.

In the Women's I think Halep might win her first grand slam, or maybe Plisokva or Wozniaki. Svitolina looks good too! It's so open, but I think it'll be someone who hasn't won one yet. Konta will probably do well, she always seems to preform well down under!
Draw for AO out today- I think Nadal will be happy. There aren't many stand out R1 ties in the Men's draw, Delpo vs Tiafoe probably the best. It will be interesting to see how things turn out!

Djockovic has a tricky draw though! Monfils in R2, Ramos Vinolas in R3, Zverer in R4, Warwinka/Thiem in QF and then Rodger in the semis... In contrast Nadal doesn't meet a real tough opponent until QF when he might face Cilic, but wouldn't be surprised if Cilic goes out earlier

I'm hoping so much it's a Nadal vs Fed final!

Women's draw's interesting too! Halep could meet Kvitova in R3 and Kerber could play Sharapova in R3! Bencic and Venus in R1 should be good too! I think Svitolina or Wozniacki the favourite for the tournament now considering their draw's are pretty easy. Muguruza has a very hard draw too! Radwanska, Kerber, Sharapova and Sevestova all in her 1/8

Jo Konta has an ok draw, could be better, could be worse. Heather Watson has a good draw considering she's unseeded, and she's doing well in Hobart at the moment!
If it's a Fed v Nadal final. I'm 100% backing Nadal to take this one off Feds. I can't see Nadal letting Federer beat him in AO 2 times in a row. No chance. Considering he was meant to win the last one, after breaking in the 5th set. I still to this day can't believe Federer stole that AO off of him.
Original post by Federerr
If it's a Fed v Nadal final. I'm 100% backing Nadal to take this one off Feds. I can't see Nadal letting Federer beat him in AO 2 times in a row. No chance. Considering he was meant to win the last one, after breaking in the 5th set. I still to this day can't believe Federer stole that AO off of him.

Still not sure about Nadal's knee, but I suppose if he gets to the final it must be fine. Craving that final so much, but doubt it could live up to 2017.
Reply 5504
Hey, does anyone play ITF juniors of ITF pro circuit on this thread?
Del Potro in the Auckland final.
Can't wait for AO! Here are my predictions (Most likely off...)

Men's winner: Federer
Women's winner: Svitolina
Surprise: Heather Watson
Disappointment: Zverev (Or Wawrinka, if he can be counted..)
damn Djok v Monflis next. Tough game for Djoks. Should be a good game
wait what Ranoic already out?????
Zverev and Del Potro both out.
I believe we’re going to have one more Roger VS Rafa final at Aus Open.

Djokovic is not looking good. He was clearly struggling against Ramos-Vinolas.

Not surprised at all that Wawrinka, Raonic, Zverev, Sock and Goffin lost.
Only Surprised was Del Potro losing to Berdych. Very Unexpected.
Original post by Samosa and Vada

Berdych is always good in AO tbf, but I did expect better from Delpo.

Can't see any other final apart from Nadal-Fed. Krygios could challenge Nadal in SF, but he'll have to beat Dimi and probably Edmund which will be tricky long matches I expect.

Women's draw looking good, I'd say there are 7 or so who could win, think it'll be a Kerber-Svitolina final tho, but it's anyone's guess.
Original post by Samosa and Vada
I believe we’re going to have one more Roger VS Rafa final at Aus Open.

Djokovic is not looking good. He was clearly struggling against Ramos-Vinolas.

Not surprised at all that Wawrinka, Raonic, Zverev, Sock and Goffin lost.

Haven't seen the match but now I might have to find a replay to see how you win 6-2 6-3 6-3 by struggling.
Casually sitting in a free period watchig Djokovic 2 sets down to a random Asian dude. lmao. todays a good day
Casually sitting in a free period watchig Djokovic 2 sets down to a random Asian dude. lmao. todays a good day

Definitely not a random. Knew this match will be a tough one for Djokovic given how he played his previous match.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by monk1324
Haven't seen the match but now I might have to find a replay to see how you win 6-2 6-3 6-3 by struggling.

His footwork was not consistent every point. He was in pain, and had a medical time out because of back pain. Lots of games were really quite long and went to deuce.
Well that's that, Djokovic out..

How have I not heard of Chung? he is an amazing young talent. Certainly one to look for in the future.

Just hope they don't stay prospects but actually become the next Federers and Nadal. otherwise tennis will see an agonising death.
Well that's that, Djokovic out..

How have I not heard of Chung? he is an amazing young talent. Certainly one to look for in the future.

Just hope they don't stay prospects but actually become the next Federers and Nadal. otherwise tennis will see an agonising death.

I'm also surprised that I hadn't heard of him before this year. 21 years old and has beaten Zverev and Djokovic in the AO - the future looks bright.

Although he lost to Kyle Edmund a few weeks ago which is good news for Kyle :smile:
Original post by Notnek
I'm also surprised that I hadn't heard of him before this year. 21 years old and has beaten Zverev and Djokovic in the AO - the future looks bright.

Although he lost to Kyle Edmund a few weeks ago which is good news for Kyle :smile:

Why would Kyle care? He's on the other side of the draw so the only way they could beat is if they both meet in the finals.

Quarter final match-ups:

Nadal (1) vs. Cilic (6)
Dimitrov (3) vs. Edmund

Sandgren vs. Hyeon
Federer (2) vs. Berdych (19)

Federer must have been really pleased with that result. If he can beat Berdych (19-6 record in favour of Federer, who has won their last 8 meets), then he will face one of the two unseeded players in the semi-finals. He could go into the final pretty fresh.
Original post by Zerforax
Why would Kyle care? He's on the other side of the draw so the only way they could beat is if they both meet in the finals.

No I mean he'd be happy that he managed to beat the Djokovic conqueror so comfortably. I realise that it was a lesser tournament and Kyle probably won't care.

Quick Reply

Latest