The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Murray reached the SF of RG with no coach, I was dissapointed with the score but he was extremely tired.
Murray has shown he can easily beat Roger and Noel on grass (Olympics and Wimbledon).

So if someone takes out Nadal for him I think he can easily win it again, Nadal did go out in the 1R last time and it is his weakest surface where as RG was his strongest so who knows.

Murrays biggest threat is Novak but hopefully he won't have to meet him until the final, I want Murray to win at least one slam this year!
Original post by Roger1
But this is grass, so you never know.

If Rog plays Rafa and somehow beats him (not likely, but possible) then he's winning the tournament, no question about it.
Reply 1122
Original post by Krish4791
olympic gold, bro :wink: and one wimbledon title (both runs including victories over Nole)

Nice I do hope Murray wins several Wimbledon titles only if Nadal doesn't win them.
Original post by bonzo123
Murray reached the SF of RG with no coach, I was dissapointed with the score but he was extremely tired.
Murray has shown he can easily beat Roger and Noel on grass (Olympics and Wimbledon).

So if someone takes out Nadal for him I think he can easily win it again, Nadal did go out in the 1R last time and it is his weakest surface where as RG was his strongest so who knows.

Murrays biggest threat is Novak but hopefully he won't have to meet him until the final, I want Murray to win at least one slam this year!

Murray's a more natural grass-courter than Djoko IMO so if they do meet, Andy can just move him round the court, unsettle him (footing-wise). For Murray, I worry more about Nadal and Federer as far as Wimbledon itself is concerned
Original post by ubi1
2 Wimbledon's to 1 though very debatable this:redface:.

Not really. Murray has olympic gold and numerous queens title on grass. Resume wise Nole might be better but peak wise Murray is still ahead on grass.
If Rog plays Rafa and somehow beats him (not likely, but possible) then he's winning the tournament, no question about it.

I agree but yeah I doubt he'd get the better of Nadal unless Nadal bows out early again and he's in the same side of the draw as Fed
Original post by lizzy95
I agree but yeah I doubt he'd get the better of Nadal unless Nadal bows out early again and he's in the same side of the draw as Fed

Yes - the chances are low now, even on grass. The thinking in that case would be that every time Fed has beaten Nadal, he's won the tournament - probably a confidence issue

The one disappointing thing about Wimbledon is that even though John Inverdale has been "axed" from presenting it on Radio 5, they've picked up Claire Balding instead which is perhaps equally bad!

The one disappointing thing about Wimbledon is that even though John Inverdale has been "axed" from presenting it on Radio 5, they've picked up Claire Balding instead which is perhaps equally bad!

Don't forget about Andrew Castle mate.
Murray's a more natural grass-courter than Djoko IMO so if they do meet, Andy can just move him round the court, unsettle him (footing-wise). For Murray, I worry more about Nadal and Federer as far as Wimbledon itself is concerned

Due to his lower seeding I think it will be much harder for him, we will have to see.
Dunno about Roger with his 1st round exit last year, I think he should be easier to beat on the grass as the ball is a lot slower than on hard court.

Nadal too had a 1R exit but is at his prime again I guess, if Novak faces Murray before the finals and Nadal is through he will want revenge for the french.

Hopefully the crowd will help Murray!
Yes - the chances are low now, even on grass. The thinking in that case would be that every time Fed has beaten Nadal, he's won the tournament - probably a confidence issue

Urgh. Yeah equally bad for sure - both have a track record of making out-of-line comments about athletes. Both are generally odious presenters. I wish they'd just ax Inverdale altogether and get someone good.

Shame Eurosport don't have Wimbledon, because I love listening to Mats Wilander, as well as Frew MacMillan, Chris Bradnam et al. Generally more insightful than the BBC coverage.
Original post by Roger1
Don't forget about Andrew Castle mate.

Original post by Sirocco11
Urgh. Yeah equally bad for sure - both have a track record of making out-of-line comments about athletes. Both are generally odious presenters. I wish they'd just ax Inverdale altogether and get someone good.

Shame Eurosport don't have Wimbledon, because I love listening to Mats Wilander, as well as Frew MacMillan, Chris Bradnam et al. Generally more insightful than the BBC coverage.

Wilander's cool, I too wish he could do it. The guy I like the most is Jim Courier - he's done a great job with Roland Garros. His comments are balanced, smooth and seamless. Inverdale is a **** who pretends he knows it all, and Andrew Castle is simply a World No. 1 bandwagon jumper, a self-proclaimed "tennis fan".
Due to his lower seeding I think it will be much harder for him, we will have to see.
Dunno about Roger with his 1st round exit last year, I think he should be easier to beat on the grass as the ball is a lot slower than on hard court.

Nadal too had a 1R exit but is at his prime again I guess, if Novak faces Murray before the finals and Nadal is through he will want revenge for the french.

Hopefully the crowd will help Murray!

His seeding won't be that low - the Wimbledon seeding formula ensures that he'll be No. 3 in all likelihood, so that's good news for us and for him.
The crowd, whilst very respectful of other players, should absolutely be behind Andy - I can just picture it on the first day of the Championships, Murray walking out at 1pm on Centre Court to rapturous applause! :smile:
His seeding won't be that low - the Wimbledon seeding formula ensures that he'll be No. 3 in all likelihood, so that's good news for us and for him.
The crowd, whilst very respectful of other players, should absolutely be behind Andy - I can just picture it on the first day of the Championships, Murray walking out at 1pm on Centre Court to rapturous applause! :smile:

I dont think the Wimbledon crowd is all that bad tbh

RG crowd is horrible, they should have more respect for the players
I dont think the Wimbledon crowd is all that bad tbh

RG crowd is horrible, they should have more respect for the players

Yeah, the RG crowd is by far the worst. They're rabidly partisan to French players (and Roger Federer) and will always boo and whistle when a player even gestures towards checking a line on the clay. There have been a few matches where the crowd actively intervenes - take Djokovic's match against Federer in the French Open of 2011, where the crowd was a huge factor. They're despicable and actively rooted against Nadal when he was beaten by Soderling in 2009. Even now a 9 time winner I doubt they'll be that more receptive next year; thankfully today Rafa had good Spanish support - and at least a sizeable conitngent of the French fans that actually like him - in-house.

The Wimbledon crowd is much better in comparison (not the best though, that honour lies with the Aussies) but I'll never forget the way they wilted in support for Murray in that final he played against Federer in 2012. After supporting him when it looked promising, they went away when Federer got the upper hand and could have tried a lot harder. A lot of them are patriotic glory supporters I suspect, only there for Murray when he's looking likely to win the title.
Original post by Roger1
People keep hyping Djokovic saying that he will beat Nadal at RG because he was able to overcome Nadal at other clay tournaments. Well, they keep forgetting that Nadal is a different animal at the FO and just like Federer, Novak will have to hope that someone takes out Rafa early otherwise he ain't gonna complete the career slam.

I don't think Rafa is a different animal here. I just think he has a psychological confidence being unbeaten (bar 1) and this year the court was definitely slower.
Yeah, the RG crowd is by far the worst. They're rabidly partisan to French players (and Roger Federer) and will always boo and whistle when a player even gestures towards checking a line on the clay. There have been a few matches where the crowd actively intervenes - take Djokovic's match against Federer in the French Open of 2011, where the crowd was a huge factor. They're despicable and actively rooted against Nadal when he was beaten by Soderling in 2009. Even now a 9 time winner I doubt they'll be that more receptive next year; thankfully today Rafa had good Spanish support - and at least a sizeable conitngent of the French fans that actually like him - in-house.

The Wimbledon crowd is much better in comparison (not the best though, that honour lies with the Aussies) but I'll never forget the way they wilted in support for Murray in that final he played against Federer in 2012. After supporting him when it looked promising, they went away when Federer got the upper hand and could have tried a lot harder. A lot of them are patriotic glory supporters I suspect, only there for Murray when he's looking likely to win the title.

That's probably evidence of the fact that people love Federer's style of play but support Murray because he's British.

It's maybe due to the fact that they also like Federer. I mean, most tennis fans like Federer and have respect for him.
Regarding Murray and Wimbledon it all depends on the draw and any upsets but i'm not sure he'll beat Nadal or Federer.

Speaking of, enjoy..

[video="youtube;OfNG-EPOvTA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfNG-EPOvTA[/video]
Original post by Rakas21
I don't think Rafa is a different animal here. I just think he has a psychological confidence being unbeaten (bar 1) and this year the court was definitely slower.

Really? I heard the courts were faster this year.
Original post by Roger1
Really? I heard the courts were faster this year.

Compared to last year i'm not sure (last year had rain breaks which may have effected certain days) but the court this year was glacial compared to the other slams and that's even with Australia and Wimbledon slowed recently.

Quick Reply

Latest