The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sirocco11
Then don't watch his matches. IT's as simple as that. You have absolutely nothing good to say about him ever and it's nauseating to see this thread taken over by your posts continually picking on him. I don't like certain players but I don't overflow this thread and **** on their enjoyment of their favourite players because of an irrational hatred.

I watch his matches in the hope that he will be defeated, as I like to witness the beatdowns live whenever they happen. These events are rare I admit but there are some memorable instances such as Rosol in Wimbledon 2012, Darcis in Wimbledon 2013, and Nishikori in Madrid 2014.

I do make a conscious effort to tone down my criticism of Nadal, but he doesn't make it easy for me with his antics on court and sometimes I just feel like I have to vent. Anyway, I only ever moan about him when he is winning and I never gloat on here when he is doing badly so surely I can't be that insufferable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Roger1
He is way over the top with his celebrations, isn't he? It's not the final FFS.

The worst was when he started fist pumping like mad after he broke back Nishikori in the second set of the Madrid final this year, at which point it was clear that Nishikori was injured and that he would go on to beat his lame opponent even though he was playing like ****. I've been watching tennis seriously for about five years now and nothing that has happened in that period has done more to piss me off than that moment.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ashnard
The worst was when he started fist pumping like mad after he broke back Nishikori in the second set of the Madrid final this year, at which point it was clear that Nishikori was injured and that he would go on to beat his lame opponent even though he was playing like ****. I've been watching tennis seriously for about five years now and nothing that has happened in that period has done more to piss me off than that moment.

Lol what's with all the hate against nadal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WriterOfWrongs
Perhaps we should be asking why any of us care who wins. It's something that I frequently wonder. It doesn't make any difference to our lives (mine anyway) as to who wins or loses, I just like to see who I like win, but I don't get any money, I don't gain anything from the winners of any sport.

Even though I still love it, and care :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a lot deeper than that, though. I support the players that I do because, through their actions on and off the court, they embody principles that I value. Likewise, I actively root against other players if they embody principles that I do not value.

I support Federer because I appreciate his aesthetic playing style, his authenticity as an individual, his supreme innate talent, and also his classy demeanour on court. I do not like Nadal for many reasons, but mainly because I consider him a gross overachiever who has succeeded in this sport primarily because of his superior physicality, and not his superior skill/talent. More than anything I value justice in sport, and Nadal's habit of winning matches while being the inferior player troubles me on a visceral level.

I could go on, but basically I hope you get my point that these tennis rivalries are more than just tennis rivalries to me but actually represent a struggle between divergent philosophies.

Original post by ThatMadClown
Lol what's with all the hate against nadal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He is a perennial overachiever who relies upon his superior physicality to win matches. His strokes are also hideous, as are his celebrations (fist-pumping; trophy biting, etc).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ashnard

He is a perennial overachiever who relies upon his superior physicality to win matches. His strokes are also hideous, as are his celebrations (fist-pumping; trophy biting, etc).

It's more about the slowing of the courts which has helped him the most out of all the top players.
Original post by Roger1
It's more about the slowing of the courts which has helped him the most out of all the top players.

This is true. When the court conditions change then there becomes a selection pressure for players best suited to the new conditions. I do wish the media pundits would acknowledge this further though so as to relativise the success of players like Nadal and Djokovic (and Federer, to be fair).

Pundits often say that tennis has been pushed to higher levels in recent years but this isn't necessarily true. It has reached new physical levels yes but not new levels per se. How can you say that tennis has reached new levels when one of the best players in the world can barely hit an overhead?:confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ashnard
This is true. When the court conditions change then there becomes a selection pressure for players best suited to the new conditions. I do wish the media pundits would acknowledge this further though so as to relativise the success of players like Nadal and Djokovic (and Federer, to be fair).

Pundits often say that tennis has been pushed to higher levels in recent years but this isn't necessarily true. It has reached new physical levels yes but now new levels per se. How can you say that tennis has reached new levels when one of the best players in the world can barely hit an overhead?:confused:

Coming off clay, give the guy credit where credit is due, he may not have won easily but at least he fought. This is coming from a federer fan btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anything, playing another set on grass is probably good for Nadal. I think he looked decent today, although I'd now say Djok is favourite based on first round performances
Original post by Sirocco11
You get pos rep for that brah. I don't get it either. I used to make a huge deal over who won or lost, but eventually you mature and realise that after all it is just a sport and even if your charge loses it's not the end of the world. It's not worth willing other players to lose so that yours wins or hating players because of beating your own. I've never understood how people can hate sports people they've never met. It's just plain and simple irrational. If you met these people you'd realise they don't have ****ing halos around them, they're human beings (albeit exceptional ones) like everyone else.

Like you, I do care, but not enough to sulk if my player loses, and not enough to spend time hating other players.

Yeah totally agree too. I'm a Djokovic fan so his loss in the RG final obviously hurt but you just have to accept that the better guy always wins, in that case it was Rafa so fair dues to him. I think being a crazy fan in any sport just isn't healthy, life is way too short
Original post by Skkc16
Dimitrov was put on Court 1 against world number 150 and Centre Court against the world number 236.
Jeez yes he's had a good 2014 and won Queens but this is just not right and I actually like the guy. He hasn't done anything to deserve this yet, put the likes of Tsonga and Berdych on the show courts fair enough but Dimitrov twice in a row?

Berdych vs Tomic is on court 1.

Being fair it's not a half filled with crowd pleasers and this year i think the media has hyped up Dimitrov/Raonic/Nikishori a lot more so i think Wimbledon are just jumping on the hype a bit by putting the exiting young talent in that half.
While i am a Federer fan first i personally try to enjoy the rivalry as a fan of the sport and Nadal is actually my second favourate player. As much as his game does not always bring him victory (Madrid 14, Indian Wells 13) he does ultimately stick to a game plan and execute and to be honest i like the Nadal style of play even if it can slow down the tempo and tire his opponent who's been better.
Hi all. I'm thinking of heading over to Wimbledon to check out the grounds and hang around Henman Hill/Murray Mound etc. I know there's an entry fee for the ground passes, but does anyone know if I can go at any time and just pop in? Or do I need to queue really early for entry?
Original post by yennibubs
Hi all. I'm thinking of heading over to Wimbledon to check out the grounds and hang around Henman Hill/Murray Mound etc. I know there's an entry fee for the ground passes, but does anyone know if I can go at any time and just pop in? Or do I need to queue really early for entry?

If you go before 8 am, you are likely to make the 1st 8500 people who gets in straightaway. And later, after 5 pm you can buy centre court ticket for £10. Yesterday I get to watch Serena Williams match in Centre Court through resale tickets !
Guys, I'm planning to get a new racket and I'm deciding between these two:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/wilson-juice-100-tennis-racket-749018?colcode=74901818

http://www.sportsdirect.com/wilson-juice-96-tennis-racket-749006?colcode=74900618

basically its between getting a 100 or 96 square inch head size, with the 96 racket being 20g heavier at 324g

which one should I get?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zaback21
If you go before 8 am, you are likely to make the 1st 8500 people who gets in straightaway. And later, after 5 pm you can buy centre court ticket for £10. Yesterday I get to watch Serena Williams match in Centre Court through resale tickets !

Great. Thanks! 8am is still really early for me :tongue: but it'll be worth it! I'm planning to go during the first few days in July.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sergiy Stakhovsky 2 sets up against Ernest's Gulbis!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dat dimitrov serve though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1357
The two player on the men's tour I hate the most are easily Fabio Fognini and Grigor Dimitrov. I just don't like their attitudes they both come across as quite arrogant and big headed.
Original post by F1Fan
The two player on the men's tour I hate the most are easily Fabio Fognini and Grigor Dimitrov. I just don't like their attitudes they both come across as quite arrogant and big headed.

Gulbis wins it for me.
Can't say I've ever cared about personality much although its somewhat expected when the media jumps on you as the next Fed.

Quick Reply

Latest