The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1820
Original post by Roger1
Who cares?

Lol you need to get over it, just pretend it never happened.
Original post by ubi1
Lol you need to get over it, just pretend it never happened.

I'm already over it but it would have been better if he lost in the 4th set.
Reply 1822
Original post by Roger1
I'm already over it but it would have been better had he lost in the 4th set.

He was mentally tough in the 4th but Nole is more mentally tougher unfortunately for Roger.
Original post by The Assassin
Think Fed said he'd retire after the 2016 Olympics? Or something like that at least.

Agassi can get to a final at 35; then Federer may be able to win something in that period. Not sure if Nadal will be around then and many people argue that he'll only be winning the RG. Djokovic will probs dominate a fair bit within the next few years but he won't catch up.

I think it was until at least 2016 Olympics, could be longer.

Yeah no chance with Djok, he'd have to win 2 a year for 5 years or something.
Original post by ubi1
He was mentally tough in the 4th but Nole is more mentally tougher unfortunately for Roger.

It's not about mental strength. It's poor returns and awful approach shots.
Original post by ubi1
Right now I WOULD chose Novaks years as the best of 2014 but if Nadal wins US open hes the best of 2014 so who ever wins US OPen from nole or Rafa is the best of 2014. Can Nole win USO?

Djokovic can definitely win the US Open this win will give him the confidence to play the big matches again and should he be in the final again he won't throw it away like last year...
Anyone can win it though, the young guns can produce more shocks. I think it depends on who has the better hard court season, we'll see :smile:
Congrats to Novak!!But also well done to Roger Federer. Close match, heart stopping and very inspiring to watch.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Can't see him winning any more, whereas Nadal could catch up on French opens alone.
I see Nadal equalling Federer's total at best. If he can win 1 or 2 more non-clay slams, he has a chance of beating it, but that seems unlikely.
As much as it pains me to say it, Djokovic was the better player today and he deserved to win this match. Federer played at a good level overall but his return of serve was simply inadequate and his approaches to the net were clumsy. He fought very well to take it to a fifth set but I felt that the match was effectively lost when he failed to break Djokovic at the start of the fifth, who at that point was looking vulnerable and wasn't getting many first serves in. The pressure was always going to be greater for Federer after that as he was serving second in that set; that's why it was important for Federer to break him early but he blew his chances.

As for Djokovic, he looked like a much better player today than he did against Dimitrov, or in any of his recent GS finals for that matter. In one sense I'm glad for him that he's finally broken his major final duck but in another I'm annoyed as a Federer fan that it had to be against Federer when this happened, who in all likelihood won't get another chance at his age.

Yeah, so overall I'm disappointed but I imagine it must have been a good match from a neutral perspective. It's a shame that some users on here felt the need to gloat after the match and throw insults at Federer (calling Federer a nonce -- really?:frown:) but I suppose that is to be expected. The worst offenders were just seasonal fans so it's not too much of a problem.
:frown:

Original post by mrdoovde1

I cried with him.
Why is Federer so crap at approach shots? Always hits it straight at the guy thinking he will wrong foot him but he always looks like a complete idiot when he gets passed. Why not take the easier route and go to the open court? The chances of his opponent hitting passing shots on the run are not very likely.
Federer showed amazing fortitude to come back from 5-2 down in the 4th set after facing match point. Awesome. and his hair is so much nicer than Jocky's
Such an amazing effort from Djokovic to overcome the mental adversity of throwing away leads and of having to deal with having lost his last 3 GS finals! Federer was incredible and although he missed a lot of chances so did Djokovic and on the balance of play Djokovic did deserve to win. Heartbreaking for Djokovic but it would've been the worst loss of his career if he'd lost it today. Thrilled for Djokovic, sad for Federer and can't wait to see how the rest of this crazy season unfolds
Original post by mrdoovde1

Not even a Federer fan, but this hurts to see :frown:
Reply 1835
Ok, so that ends Djokovic's GS dry spell - it was approaching two years!

This now means that Federer hasn't won a GS in exactly two years.

...his turn next? :puppyeyes:

A guy can hope... :moon:
Fantastic tournament overall, it's had a bit of everything: upsets, 5 set battles, baseline duels v serving duels, and the established emergence of the younger generation
Absolutely amazing 5-set final - congratulations to Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer! Could spend hours analysing the match, and In my opinion, the first set excepted, both players displayed sound mental strength throughout.
Novak played his best GS Final (as he himself said) and this is a huge win for him - another finals loss (especially given this situation) and he may not quite have been the same. Roger played great throughout and fought beautifully - his serve was very good for the first 4 Seth, especially the 3rd set (that 4 ace game - reminiscent of 2007) - I don't think that was his final chance, I can see him having another great run at least.
Winners to unforced errors ratio greater than 2.5 for most of the match, both players basically switched on throughout- IMO on the same level as, if not greater than, 2008.

How will the rest of the season unfold?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you think about it, it's not out of the realms of possibility that Federer could reach another major final. He would still be the favourite when facing any one of Dimitrov, Raonic, or Nishikori. Del Potro is currently out injured and Berdych and Tsonga seem to be in some sort of decline. Murray is out of sorts at the moment (and ranked no. 10) and I'd say that he would have a 50:50 chance against Wawrinka should they meet. Nadal is due for another bout of injury about now and Djokovic is still choke-prone. I still maintain that Wimbledon 2014 was his best chance but I'm just saying that's not impossible that he will get another chance.
Rankings out today post-Wimbledon..

1) Djokovic
2) Nadal
3) Federer
4) Wawrinka
5) Berdych
6) Raonic
7) Ferrer
8) Del Potro
9) Dimitrov
10) Murray
11) Nikishori

Going through the list and both Nadal and Djokovic are defending a tonne of points from August so either could end the year number 1.

Federer is in third and defending less than 1700 points to the end of the year, i'd imagine that he'll be able to hold third until the end of the year.

Wawrinka 4th and Berdych 5th need to start falling for Raonic/Dimitrov/Nikishori to rise through the rankings but they are both good and running fairly deep but not to the finals of tournaments so one doubts they'll lose points.

Raonic in 6th is where he needs to hold long term (behind the big 5) to really take advantage when the big 4 start to struggle (same said for Dimitrov and Nikishori, we really want them in 6th, 7th and 8th) but with Berdych and Wawrinka ahead (consistent but not spectacular) there's always the chance Raonic could make a run for 4th.

Del Potro in 8th is due back in September however he is defending a tonne of points straight away so it's unlikely he'll finish higher than 20th at the end of the season. I see no issues preventing him getting back into the top 5 and going for slams next year though.

Murray is in 10th however he is defending less than 1000 points between now and the end of the season so should comfortably rise.
Aw Djokovic got married last Thursday how nice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest