The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Ferrer is through.
Is there anybody expecting the top half of the draw to produce the winner?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Federer's volleys have been quite poor in the last two tournaments.
Murray is starting to piss me off. You can't just let a 2 break lead go like that. It's so disappointing and frustrating to watch. Smh, hire a psychologist or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Federer wins. So happy that my guy is playing so well at 33. Never thought I would say that 10 years ago. He is the favourite now so please Roger go and win the whole thing and don't lose in the final.

Murray was poor though. His 1st serve percentage and speed have gone down. He needs to improve on that if he is to become an elite player again.
(edited 9 years ago)
How can wawrinka lose to Julian in the manner that he did? What happened to wawrinka of AO and Monte Carlo? This guy has been an absolute mug in recent months.
And with that win Federer levels his head-to-head against Murray at 11-11. It's fair to say that Federer has had the upper hand overall though with him leading Murray 4-2 in best-of-five matches and 3-0 in GS finals.

Up next is Milos Raonic, who destroyed Fabio Fognini in the previous round (6-0,6-1) but has a 0-5 record against Federer on the ATP Tour. Federer has a really good chance to claim his sixth Cincinnati title now with only Benneteau, Ferrer, and Raonic remaining in the draw. Still, I'm taking nothing for granted given his record in finals this year and his lackluster performance against Tsonga in Toronto last week.

Interesting to note that the only two consistently strong performers in the American hard court swing so far have been Roger Federer (33) and David Ferrer (32). Djokovic is still the favourite going into the US Open though whatever happens and I'd put Nadal at second favourite should he enter. I'd put Federer at 2nd/3rd favourite, with Raonic/Murray/Wawrinka a tier below him, and Tsonga/Berdych/Ferrer a tier below them. Even with Tsonga's recent victory in Toronto, I consider him as unlikely as ever to win a GS.

In other news, Del Potro has been ruled out of the US Open due to a wrist injury: https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/us-open-del-potro-ruled-us-open-202900162--ten.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ashnard
And with that win Federer levels his head-to-head against Murray at 11-11. It's fair to say that Federer has had the upper hand overall though with him leading Murray 4-2 in best-of-five matches and 3-0 in GS finals.

Up next is Milos Raonic, who destroyed Fabio Fognini in the previous round (6-0,6-1) but has a 0-5 record against Federer on the ATP Tour. Federer has a really good chance to claim his sixth Cincinnati title now with only Benneteau, Ferrer, and Raonic remaining in the draw. Still, I'm taking nothing for granted given his record in finals this year and his lackluster performance against Tsonga in Toronto last week.

Interesting to note that the only two consistently strong performers in the American hard court swing so far have been Roger Federer (33) and David Ferrer (32). Djokovic is still the favourite going into the US Open though whatever happens and I'd put Nadal at second favourite should he enter. I'd put Federer at 2nd/3rd favourite, with Raonic/Murray/Wawrinka a tier below him, and Tsonga/Berdych/Ferrer a tier below them. Even with Tsonga's recent victory in Toronto, I consider him as unlikely as ever to win a GS.

In other news, Del Potro has been ruled out of the US Open due to a wrist injury: https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/us-open-del-potro-ruled-us-open-202900162--ten.html

Is Raonic not on the other side of the draw, I thought they'd meet in the F, not SF.

Raonic has a W, QF and SF for the hard court swing.
Bad season continues for Murray. At least he stayed mentally strong against Fed in Australia earlier in the year, and was able to snatch the 3rd set there. He was phyiscally impaired there, now he's mentally impaired.
Sad to say he might finish the year without a title. Might end up with a horror US Open draw as he's likely to be seeded outside the top 8 if Nadal's fit.
Original post by Rakas21
Is Raonic not on the other side of the draw, I thought they'd meet in the F, not SF.

Raonic and Fed on the same side, Ferrer vs Benneteau in the top half I believe. Another night match for Fed, if he wins he'll have a very quick turnover for the final, which is to be played during the day.
Original post by Rakas21

He is in the same half as Federer, as Krish has just pointed out.

I did forget about Raonic so thanks for picking me up on that.
Regarding Del Potro he's confirmed for Malaysia on the 22nd but there's talk that he could test himself at the Davis Cup on the 12th.
I can't believe that some people expect this mug Raonic to win a slam. He is nothing but a servebot and even his serve was crap today. He will maybe fluck out a masters 1000 (paris bercy) but don't ever expect a slam from him.

Anyways, good for Roger to wrap this up quickly given that he was the victim of poor scheduling. Now win the final please.
I've seen Meelosh play on about five or six different occasions now and each time I've been left totally unimpressed by his performance. The fact that he is considered one the best player of his generation (alongside Dimitrov) is a strong indictment against the current crop of young players in my opinion.

Anyhoo, Federer vs. Ferrer at 9pm today and, without wanting to sound too complacement, I am fairly confident of a Federer victory. The last time I watched them play each other was in a round robin match at the 2012 World Tour Finals. In that match Federer was spewing UEs everywhere and barely getting any first serves in and yet Daveed couldn't even summon up a break point in either set, such is the extent of his match-up difficulties with him. Afterwards in the post-match conference Daveed went on rather meekly to publicly exalt Federer and proclaim him to be the greatest of all time. From that point on I knew that Federer had him completely and utterly by the balls. Still, there's a first time for everything I suppose and Daveed has in his favour the facts that he has had longer to recover from his SF and that he won a set in their previous encounter.
(edited 9 years ago)
I actually like Raonic and think calling him a serve bot is a bit harsh but I also agree with Ashnard in that the current generation if far inferior to the last. Only Tomic and Kyrigos have really threatened to impress me but Tomic seems to be Verdasco mark 2 (will probably make a deep run or 2 but never have the mentality to be consistent).
Ferrer-Federer final. LOL. I'll go with Federer in 2 quick sets. I'll be very surprised if he loses this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ashnard

X

That whole post made me laugh hahahaha.

But I agree, federer in two easy sets tonight.

How did Ferrer ever make it to no 4? He's rubbish, in the sense of ever being in the top 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakas21
I actually like Raonic and think calling him a serve bot is a bit harsh but I also agree with Ashnard in that the current generation if far inferior to the last. Only Tomic and Kyrigos have really threatened to impress me but Tomic seems to be Verdasco mark 2 (will probably make a deep run or 2 but never have the mentality to be consistent).

Yeah, Tomic and Kyrgios have impressed with me with some individual performances but they lack consistency. Raonic in a sense is the opposite in that he is consistently playing at a level that is not sufficient to beat the top guys. I remember Federer saying post-Wimbledon that the top guys (i.e. Federer, Djokovic, Nadal) still do not consider their generation to be a threat at the big tournaments. Maybe I'm being a little bit too harsh on Raonic though as I only really watch him intensively when he is playing Federer, and there seems to be match-up issue there.

For what it's worth, I still think that Dimitrov is the most promising of them all, although his Wimbledon SF this year against Djokovic proved that he's not quite ready yet.

Original post by Natty.B
Ferrer-Federer final. LOL. I'll go with Federer in 2 quick sets. I'll be very surprised if he loses this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Welcome back. Crossing my fingers that your boy ducks out of the US Open :crossedf:. :wink:
Original post by WriterOfWrongs
That whole post made me laugh hahahaha.

But I agree, federer in two easy sets tonight.

How did Ferrer ever make it to no 4? He's rubbish, in the sense of ever being in the top 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I try my best. :colondollar:

Ferrer is a funny player because he can almost be completely relied upon to defeat those players ranked below him and to lose to those players ranked above him. He is also very good at scavenging points from the lesser tournaments (usually clay court) that the top guys choose not to attend, very much like a dog that hoovers up the leftovers that fall down from its master's table.
Surely can't be another finals loss for Roger now, Ferrer is probably the best match-up for him
Original post by Ashnard
Welcome back. Crossing my fingers that your boy ducks out of the US Open :crossedf:. :wink:

Heheh, what a nice welcome back, Ashnard :wink: still trolling the Nadal fans here? Jokes aside, i'm not very hopeful he'll show up tbh, but we'll see, decision should come Mon/Tues. But hey, no Rafa, might as well just pencil RF on the trophy... 18th slam! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Natty.B
Heheh, what a nice welcome back, Ashnard :wink: still trolling the Nadal fans here? Jokes aside, i'm not very hopeful he'll show up tbh, but we'll see, decision should come Mon/Tues. But hey, no Rafa, might as well just pencil RF on the trophy... 18th slam! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just teasing. :tongue: I think he might as well have a pop and save some of his points -- the field is so weak at the moment that even coming straight back from an injury he could probably still make a deep run.

Quick Reply

Latest