Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im needing a new strategy to revise apart from writing out lecture slides and re reading time ad time again. how do u make revision cards? was thinking 2 or 3 per lecture? and make as I go along?

ReputationRep:
    How you make them depends on how you think you'll learn best from them. I found revision cards useful for learning facts like in anatomy or pharmacology, but I'm not sure I'd find them as useful for more conceptual stuff. I suppose if you make a card about each new concept you learn, with a diagram or two and a bit of text explaining it that might work. Just start making them and see what works for you.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    How you make them depends on how you think you'll learn best from them. I found revision cards useful for learning facts like in anatomy or pharmacology, but I'm not sure I'd find them as useful for more conceptual stuff. I suppose if you make a card about each new concept you learn, with a diagram or two and a bit of text explaining it that might work. Just start making them and see what works for you.
    I think revision cards are good, especially when they summarize everything written in 13 pages of boring text. They are handy when it comes to getting a knack of the subject. Apart from that, I don't think they can be/should be used as a textbook replacement.

(Original post by Gemma-Kirstie)
    im needing a new strategy to revise apart from writing out lecture slides and re reading time ad time again. how do u make revision cards? was thinking 2 or 3 per lecture? and make as I go along?
    How to make revision cards? It is simple, either draw a box with your topic name in the center of the page, and make spokes concerned with relevant info; or, simply write the name of one side, flip the card, and write a little it about the topic on the other side, so you can quiz yourself too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Gemma-Kirstie)
    (...) how do u make revision cards? was thinking 2 or 3 per lecture? and make as I go along?
    What do you intend with revision cards? to keep the meaning of technical terms in mind? if that is the case, I would recommend you to write the question with the technical term down on the one side of the revision card and the explanation of the meaning on the other one. I advice you to give an explanation of the meaning in your own words. Otherwise I recommend you to write examples down for better understanding. Consider that the explanation of the meaning should be both short and relevant! if you need 2 or 3 per lecture, then write them. If you need more, then write more.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 24, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.