Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tonsillitis affecting my health majorly watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello there, a bit of background first...

I have always been susceptible to problems with my tonsils and throat in general. However in the past 6 months it has become a very major issue in my life which is affecting personal and work life to a very high level.

I think back to pre-July when i was a student and i was fine, always known as the guy who is up for a night out, full of energy really. I did get throat problems and was ill more than my friends were but it was never for long and i always felt better soon. But since July i have struggled to get myself out of a horrible rut of illness.

So i graduated in July, this i see as one potential cause for my illness rut as i have started in the world of work for the first time and living away from home still with a full time job. But as i see it when i had my job as

I am constantly tired, i've been out of a job for 3 and a half weeks now, and have gone down with another horrible bout of tonsilits.

It is the 6th time i have been to the surgery since i registered in October. I was then told i need to report every bout of tonsilitis so as to get me funding for an operation (need 6 in a year to get them out). So since October i have had 5 cases and four 5-10 day antibiotics. From middle of November to Mid December white spots didn't go and it was a hard period, but i kept going to work and i'm proud i only managed 1 sick day amongst it all as the illness can be and was pretty dehabilitating.

So yeah i get massive throat problems, which are seemingly getting worse. Even with no job i'm still getting it and of course this affects my looking for job habits, and what type of job to look for. I like to work with people, but i'm having to consider a short term change of plan as this involves using my throat (interacting with customers) too much to continue doing.

A couple of questions i have, as i always seem to forget doctors when i see them some questions:

Have you suffered similar problems to what i am with tonsils? How did you deal with it? Any ways you find deal with it well? I've tried vit c+zinc tablets, going to try salt water gargling on top now for example as my doctor suggested (both things).

If you have had a tonsillectomy how did it change how you felt? I mean, i feel energyless often now. I haven't wanted to go to a gym or go on a run since October. It's kinda that bad, as i know that whenever i start to get into those things i get ill after a couple of weeks removing all point of 3 weeks hard gym work (as you are then off for another week). So yeah it's ruining with thing i want and like to do. Big music fan to, so can't go to see the DJs and bands i like often at all. I'm just very frustrated by this illness. Oh, and to clarify i have had blood tests and they have come back showing no problems. I don't have depression or any mental issues, i'm a pretty positive person, and positivity is crucial.

Another question; how long did you wait? I'm waiting with baited breath now to see if i can see a ENT surgeon? If they refuse me i will be stunned and sad, as it would be just delaying the inevitable it seems. But what sort of timeframes should i be looking at? How long to wait for their reply? How long then til i see them? And then how long would it be til surgery?

Thanks for readin! :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I used to get severe tonsillitis pretty much constantly, I reported it to the doctors so many times! They did the same with me and told me to take antibiotics and report how many times I got it.
    I had it about 5 times in 4 months and then my tonsils were so large that they were affecting my breathing, if I lay on my back I could barely breathe! This was the point that they finally referred me to hospital who took one look and booked me to have them out a month later! I feel so much better now, I still occasionally get a sore throat etc but rarely and I recover quite quickly! If you say they're affecting your quality of life and giving you breathing issues they should refer you to hospital!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To clarify it took 2 weeks from GP emailing ENT surgeon to get an appointment with them and I had my tonsillectomy 3 weeks later

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiva300)
    To clarify it took 2 weeks from GP emailing ENT surgeon to get an appointment with them and I had my tonsillectomy 3 weeks later

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for replying!

That's promising for me then, i did try to sell how much it is affecting me. My work and personal life have suffered completely, and so i'm hoping by July they will be gone and i can continue with my life which i have struggled with past few months!

How did you find it post op? Can i ask how old you are? because it apparently they say it's worse the older you are!

Also, your GP got you an appointment in how much time? 5 weekss overall timefram?

ReputationRep:
    I was 17 when I had them out, the recovery was pretty horrible but it's been worth it!
    I think I was one of the lucky ones as I know some people don't get appointments for years:/ just make sure you emphasise how much of a problem they're causing you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Been ill since i made this post, ill in bed with fever since last Sunday :holmes:

Pathetic illness, my GP has me referred now and given me a time frame of April-June where they will be taken out. End is in sight. Anyone had a ridiculously bad experience like me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Been ill since i made this post, ill in bed with fever since last Sunday :holmes:

Pathetic illness, my GP has me referred now and given me a time frame of April-June where they will be taken out. End is in sight. Anyone had a ridiculously bad experience like me?
    Good luck! Glad to hear they're sorting it out. Tonsillitis is awful.
    As a general rule I have no voice for 4 months a year and my tonsils are regularly so swollen that I can't breathe without panting and I wake up in the middle of the night unable to breathe and gasping for air. It's terrifying. I've clawed my throat so bad trying to breathe a few times that I've actually drawn blood on a few occasions....

However my doctor doesn't seem to think this it an at all debilitating issue. I used to go every time it happened, until the doctor basically told me I was wasting his time, as I had tonsillitis again and there was nothing he could do about it and I should stop whinging and go home.
    I then had the same problem while living in Japan and the doctor said I should get checked out in England for surgery because the spots on my tonsils were that bad and wouldn't go away and it's not normal. At this point my throat was so swollen I couldn't swallow. So all I'd ingested in a week was a few litres of water that id had to let trickle down my throat.
    But sure enough, when I next visited my doctor in England with a new bout of it and the message from the Japanese doctor..... got told to go away. Again.

As for how I deal with it? Just wait for it to pass. It's just part of my life that I'm accepting isn't ever going to go away.

ReputationRep:
    I used to suffer from tonsil stones and frequently bouts of tonsillitis. My tonsils were really scarred and pitted. I rarely had antibiotics because I had viral tonsillitis, though I did see my gp each time to be sure. I was referred to the ENT and had an appointment in August. The consultant had a look by putting a telescope (?) up my nose and suggested I try brushing my tonsils to see if it helped with the stones and to come back in December. When I went back with no improvement he agreed to take them out and I got an appointment for surgery for the February.

Post surgery wasn't great to be honest. I didn't come round from the anaesthetic very well so had to stay overnight and I felt really groggy for a couple of days. It messed with my bowel too. The pain was fairly manageable, I was given paracetamol and codeine but only took the paracetamol as codeine makes me sick. I also took an anti inflammatory but can't remember what it was called. I took 2 weeks off and when I went back to work I struggled a little to project voice, but ,mainly I think I was nervous about it hurting.

I have been so much better since they were taken out. It was the best decision I ever made. Because my problem was stones I was struggling with pain and swelling every single day, which then was massively worse when I was actually ill. I wish I had done it sooner to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2014
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.