The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year and apply in the next application cycle?

Hi,

I submitted my UCAS application in October, and so far this is the response from my university choices (BA English Q300):

Reading (A*BB): Conditional Offer AAB
Warwick (AAA): Rejection without interview
UCL (AAA): Rejection without interview
Cambridge (A*AA): Rejection after interview
Bristol (A*AA): Pending

My predicted grades are A*AA, but I think the chance of me getting an offer from Bristol is highly unlikely, leaving with me with my offer from Reading.

When applying, I had my mind set on Russell Group, and was told by my school and several university tutors that this was definitely possible with my predicted grades. With Reading being my last resort, I am understandably disappointed and feel disillusioned about the application process.

In the event that my application to Bristol is unsuccessful, would it be advisable to:

A) Accept my offer from Reading, and pay £9000 p.a. for a course I'm not 100% keen on, because my situation may not improve next year.

OR

B) Decline my only offer and complete my A2 exams. Then I would retake any A2 subjects I feel I could improve (exceed the typical AAA/A*AA English offer for Russell Group), and write an Extended Essay.

I'm completely unsure of which option to take. On the one hand, I'm nervous that taking a gap year will disadvantage next year's application, as priority is often given to first-time applicants. However, I'm reluctant to commit to Reading when I honestly feel I could do better somewhere else, having secured my A Level grades and had some gap year experience.

Any advice and suggestions would be an enormous help and greatly appreciated!

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Don't go to any university that you are "not keen on". The financial implications are just too serious, apart from everything else.

Out of interest, what were your AS grades? (Feeling curious about your UCL/Warwick rejections...)
Original post by ageshallnot
Don't go to any university that you are "not keen on". The financial implications are just too serious, apart from everything else.

Out of interest, what were your AS grades? (Feeling curious about your UCL/Warwick rejections...)

AAAB (The B was two UMS marks off of an A)
Original post by strangephenomena
AAAB (The B was two UMS marks off of an A)

Even more interesting. Your grades, reference and PS were good enough to get an interview at Cambridge, but only received rejections from UCL and Warwick. Have you had any feedback from any of them?
Original post by ageshallnot
Even more interesting. Your grades, reference and PS were good enough to get an interview at Cambridge, but only received rejections from UCL and Warwick. Have you had any feedback from any of them?

Only very generic stuff from UCL saying that my 'application wasn’t as strong as that of other candidates due to the extremely high competition'.

Only very generic stuff from UCL saying that my 'application wasn’t as strong as that of other candidates due to the extremely high competition'.

Might be an idea to chase Warwick for reasons?
My friend applied for english last year, she got into Bristol but changed her mind and applied to Southampton through Extra, wait until you've heard from Bristol but that could be an option for you, you could get into a uni that's better than Reading but not quite as good as Bristol/UCL/Cambridge.
Reply 7
Hi,
UCL (AAA): Rejection without interview
Cambridge (A*AA): Rejection after interview
Bristol (A*AA): Pending

I submitted my UCAS application in October, and so far this is the response from my university choices (BA English Q300):

Reading (A*BB): Conditional Offer AAB
Warwick (AAA): Rejection without interviewMy predicted grades are A*AA, but I think the chance of me getting an offer from Bristol is highly unlikely, leaving with me with my offer from Reading.

When applying, I had my mind set on Russell Group, and was told by my school and several university tutors that this was definitely possible with my predicted grades. With Reading being my last resort, I am understandably disappointed and feel disillusioned about the application process.

In the event that my application to Bristol is unsuccessful, would it be advisable to:

A) Accept my offer from Reading, and pay £9000 p.a. for a course I'm not 100% keen on, because my situation may not improve next year.

OR

B) Decline my only offer and complete my A2 exams. Then I would retake any A2 subjects I feel I could improve (exceed the typical AAA/A*AA English offer for Russell Group), and write an Extended Essay.

I'm completely unsure of which option to take. On the one hand, I'm nervous that taking a gap year will disadvantage next year's application, as priority is often given to first-time applicants. However, I'm reluctant to commit to Reading when I honestly feel I could do better somewhere else, having secured my A Level grades and had some gap year experience.

Any advice and suggestions would be an enormous help and greatly appreciated!

I agree that its not worth spending 9k on a uni that your not sure about. Having said that do be aware that UCL don't look favourably on retakes and that for most universities actually having A*A*A or A*AA won't make a difference.
Reply 8
Go through adjustment.... or reapply next year... I really hope you do get a place at Bristol. All the best!
Original post by jelly1000
I agree that its not worth spending 9k on a uni that your not sure about. Having said that do be aware that UCL don't look favourably on retakes and that for most universities actually having A*A*A or A*AA won't make a difference.

If that's the case, I'm confused about why I wasn't considered for even an interview. If the slight grade difference between my application and other peoples' with A*A*A wasn't a huge contributing factor, I don't see why I was dismissed so quickly, when my PS and reference were fine for Cambridge :s-smilie:

Do you know about Warwick's policy on resits or applicants applying for a second time?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Qtj987
Go through adjustment.... or reapply next year... I really hope you do get a place at Bristol. All the best!

If that's the case, I'm confused about why I wasn't considered for even an interview. If the slight grade difference between my application and other peoples' with A*A*A wasn't a huge contributing factor, I don't see why I was dismissed so quickly, when my PS and reference were fine for Cambridge :s-smilie:

Do you know about Warwick's policy on resits or applicants applying for a second time?

How do you know your PS was fine? What were your UMS scores? Cambridge look for high 90's at AS and everyone I know with a B in an AS Level has been rejected either pre or post interview. And maybe your interview didn't go well?

And I'm not sure, I know someone who took up another subject to meet a Warwick offer and got in for English but its worth dropping an email to admissions.
How do you know your PS was fine? What were your UMS scores? Cambridge look for high 90's at AS and everyone I know with a B in an AS Level has been rejected either pre or post interview. And maybe your interview didn't go well?

And I'm not sure, I know someone who took up another subject to meet a Warwick offer and got in for English but its worth dropping an email to admissions.

I'm 99% sure it was my terrible interview performance that resulted in my Cambridge rejection. I know 4 people who got offers for the same course at the same college (there were 10 people with offers in total), and all of them had lower UMS (ranging from 82 to 90%). One friend got an offer with ABB at AS. I think my grades, PS and reference must have been good enough to get me an interview, because I know someone with 96% UMS and A*A*A*A* predictions who was rejected pre-interview. This was because of an absence of work experience in her PS, although this was admittedly for medicine. It seems everything in the application is only enough to get you to the Oxbridge interview, but beyond that point, they want someone who they feel is compatible with both the tutors and the course.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm 99% sure it was my terrible interview performance that resulted in my Cambridge rejection. I know 4 people who got offers for the same course at the same college (there were 10 people with offers in total), and all of them had lower UMS. One friend got an offer with ABB at AS. I think my grades, PS and reference must have been good enough to get me an interview, because I know someone with 96% UMS and A*A*A*A* predictions who was rejected pre-interview. This was because of an absence of work experience in her PS, although this was admittedly for medicine. It seems everything in the application is only enough to get you to the Oxbridge interview, but beyond that point, they want someone who they feel is compatible with both the tutors and the course.

There you go then. I know UCL are more picky than Cambridge when it comes to English - someone I know got an offer from Cambridge but was rejected pre interview by UCL. I'm surprised by the Warwick application though, I think you need to see what their feedback is.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Agree with ageshallnot, not only the financial implication , but studying at a University you're not comfortable with will be a torture! On the top of that, you've to pay £9000.

Is your PS extremely 'focused' on a particular subject? and you''ve applied a range of different subjects? What about ur reference?

This is quite strange tbh! Able to get an interview at Cambridge but got rejected by UCL and Warwick~ I'd like to know why. But Anyhow, be patient and positive for Bristol! Good luck!
Original post by dream996
Agree with ageshallnot, not only the financial implication , but studying at a University you're not comfortable with will be a torture! On the top of that, you've to pay £9000.

Is your PS extremely 'focused' on a particular subject? and you''ve applied a range of different subjects? What about ur reference?

This is quite strange tbh! Able to get an interview at Cambridge but got rejected by UCL and Warwick~ I'd like to know why. But Anyhow, be patient and positive for Bristol! Good luck!

I applied for only English. My personal statement addressed English primarily, specifically referencing texts with analysis of them, and incorporating my other subjects such as Latin and Fine Art, whilst explaining how I felt these cultural elements are integral to the study of literature.

I felt this addressed my choice of course, but showed a different approach with the incorporation of the other stuff. :/
There you go then. I know UCL are more picky than Cambridge when it comes to English - someone I know got an offer from Cambridge but was rejected pre interview by UCL. I'm surprised by the Warwick application though, I think you need to see what their feedback is.

Yes, I honestly wasn't surprised by Cambridge. It was Warwick that probably hit me hardest. It makes the likelihood of an offer from Bristol seem very unlikely.

I've emailed Warwick but I doubt I'll get anything other than very generalised feedback about high competition etc.
Reply 17
Sorry to hear this by the way, i was genuinely feeling upset for you when I was reading the post~ :/

Would it be due to the amount of applicant? Or would they have looked at ur attendance? Otherwise ,I honestly can't figure out what the problem is! Are there any ways for you to get feedbacks from those UNI rejected you?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by dream996
Sorry to hear this by the way, i was genuinely feeling upset for you when I was reading the post~ :/

Would it be due to the amount of applicant? Or would they have looked at ur attendance? Otherwise ,I honestly can't figure out what the problem is! Are there any ways for you to get feedbacks from those UNI rejected you?

100% attendance at school every year since Year 7 :/

I've contacted Cambridge, UCL and Warwick for feedback. UCL was very general about high competition. Cambridge and Warwick are still getting round to sending it.
Yes, I honestly wasn't surprised by Cambridge. It was Warwick that probably hit me hardest. It makes the likelihood of an offer from Bristol seem very unlikely.

I've emailed Warwick but I doubt I'll get anything other than very generalised feedback about high competition etc.

I can totally understand, maybe your personal statement wasn't what they wanted? See if you can show it to someone else.

Quick Reply

Latest