Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Failed mock exams - huge telling off from teachers, distraught watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have been diagnosed with severe depression, anxiety and BDD. It got so bad last year that I had to leave sixth form early. I'm now repeating the year in another sixth form and feel that I have gotten a bit better, definitely improved by some amount compared to this time last year. Even though I haven't fully recovered.

I revised hard for my AS mock exams but came out with bad grades. This was mainly due to very poor exam technique. I have been working on improving this since and feel I understand the technique more after analysing examiner reports, mark schemes and exemplar essays.

Compared to before where I would cry every single day now I only cry say once a month or so. It's only a quick 2 mins sniff in the toilets as crying helps release stress for me and I feel better afterwards. The few times I have however someone has overheard me and told the head of year and headmaster so they say 'you should never go through this alone, please please always come to see me when you feel down'.

So after feeling down about my mock results I went to see the head of year. She's quite a blunt person who's not the most inviting but she always told me to come see her if I feel low so I did. She said she would invite my parents in to help make the situation better.

The mocks didn't really go too well on a general scale. For example in history everyone except for 3 people got a U or E. The other 2 were Ds and then only one person got an A but they're a genius. Quite a few people did quite badly however their parents weren't called in. Similarly it was exam technique that let them down. My friend in the year above got all Es and Us in her AS mocks then As in the real thing. Her parents weren't called in.

The only reason mine were called in was to help make the situation better as I went crying to the head of year. Only for it to turn into a brutal attacking session. The headmaster is known as quite harsh and they were absolutely horrible. I walked out of there in tears and feeling the lowest I've ever felt in months.

I was also told off for not being 'smiley', with the head of year saying it actually annoys her how stressed out I appear, and that I need to get a grip and realise I'm a lucky girl to receive private education and should stop 'being a spoiled pathetic little girl acting like life is so awful' (yes she said those exact words). She also said 'oh feel sorry for poor little me, grow up!'

The headmistress also said 'For you to even get Cs it would be a miracle. Let's be honest, you getting above a C will probably never happen'.

My father is really mad at me, though he knows I worked hard because he saw me revising hard. I'm just feeling like utter crap. I managed to feel better and more positive after the weekend.

It annoys me that I'm highly sensitive, that I let severe bullying get to me so much I fell into depression, that I just can't to snap out of it no matter how much I try. So sorry if I sound really conceited and full of self pity I'm sorry. Please help me how to cope I'm distraught.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have been diagnosed with severe depression, anxiety and BDD. It got so bad last year that I had to leave sixth form early. I'm now repeating the year in another sixth form and feel that I have gotten a bit better, definitely improved by some amount compared to this time last year. Even though I haven't fully recovered.

I revised hard for my AS mock exams but came out with bad grades. This was mainly due to very poor exam technique. I have been working on improving this since and feel I understand the technique more after analysing examiner reports, mark schemes and exemplar essays.

Compared to before where I would cry every single day now I only cry say once a month or so. It's only a quick 2 mins sniff in the toilets as crying helps release stress for me and I feel better afterwards. The few times I have however someone has overheard me and told the head of year and headmaster so they say 'you should never go through this alone, please please always come to see me when you feel down'.

So after feeling down about my mock results I went to see the head of year. She's quite a blunt person who's not the most inviting but she always told me to come see her if I feel low so I did. She said she would invite my parents in to help make the situation better.

The mocks didn't really go too well on a general scale. For example in history everyone except for 3 people got a U or E. The other 2 were Ds and then only one person got an A but they're a genius. Quite a few people did quite badly however their parents weren't called in. Similarly it was exam technique that let them down. My friend in the year above got all Es and Us in her AS mocks then As in the real thing. Her parents weren't called in.

The only reason mine were called in was to help make the situation better as I went crying to the head of year. Only for it to turn into a brutal attacking session. The headmaster is known as quite harsh and they were absolutely horrible. I walked out of there in tears and feeling the lowest I've ever felt in months.

I was also told off for not being 'smiley', with the head of year saying it actually annoys her how stressed out I appear, and that I need to get a grip and realise I'm a lucky girl to receive private education and should stop 'being a spoiled pathetic little girl acting like life is so awful' (yes she said those exact words). She also said 'oh feel sorry for poor little me, grow up!'

The headmistress also said 'For you to even get Cs it would be a miracle. Let's be honest, you getting above a C will probably never happen'.

My father is really mad at me, though he knows I worked hard because he saw me revising hard. I'm just feeling like utter crap. I managed to feel better and more positive after the weekend (where I felt so low I was close to attempting). Now I feel awful again.

It annoys me that I'm highly sensitive, that I let severe bullying get to me so much I fell into depression, that I just can't to snap out of it no matter how much I try. So sorry if I sound really conceited and full of self pity I'm sorry. Please help me how to cope I'm distraught.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You don't sound conceited or full of self pity. A lot of us can relate. Just try to remain focused, take each day as it comes and just do what you can. At the end of the day grades won't make you happy, and it don't care what anyone says- that's true. Just try to break it up into little steps, ignore anyone who doesn't believe in you. You are good enough and anything you want you can have, if you want it badly enough. You can only do your best. So get out there and try to ignore anyone who wants to bring you down- you deserve to do well. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ignore them all. Don't let them tell you what you're capable of.
    I suggest you drink a cold glass of water and sit down, think to yourself what you're doing wrong.
    Once you see what you're doing wrong try your best to accomplice it.
    Please don't let anyone tell you what and what not.
    Goodluck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhan)
    I suggest you drink a cold glass of water and sit down, think to yourself what you're doing wrong.
    Goodluck!
    What I'm doing wrong is exam technique. I know the facts but just cannot answer the questions properly. I have taken steps such as now reading examiner reports and mark schemes to improve, and I can definitely see that all the faults examiners pointed out I was carrying out.

Thank you loads btw. Means a lot x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It actually made me angry reading your post! your head has been so cruel and to be honest if they're that rude and inconsiderate they should not have a career in education! Just don't listen to them, prove them wrong I know it's hard believe me, but focus on revising and past papers. don't let them beat you! I failed my first As year because of medical reasons got C's and D's in my second year mocks and then got ABB in my resits! If you persevere you will get there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhan)
    Goodluck!
    I second this. Exam technique can be improved by doing more exam papers, dreary stuff, but getting used to the questions and the wording will make it easier. I assume for most subjects like science and maths it's all about drilling the mark scheme answers into your head unfortunately!
    You could also ask if you can have extra time in exams or do the exams in a separate room? I was offered it because my mocks were disastrous and my teachers knew I could do better.

If you're parents understand, try talking to them about it and maybe get them to talk to your teachers to explain things. What the headteacher said is quite shocking and they should know better.

I'm new to here, but from what I've seen most people on this site will be more than willing to help

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like she was trying to bait you into proving her wrong
    Hard to believe any teacher would genuinely say stuff like that seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookieesxo)
    What I'm doing wrong is exam technique. I know the facts but just cannot answer the questions properly. I have taken steps such as now reading examiner reports and mark schemes to improve, and I can definitely see that all the faults examiners pointed out I was carrying out.

Thank you loads btw. Means a lot x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem

Just keep practicing the exam technique you'll get it eventually.

Have a read of this if you like

http://lettsrevision.com/students/exam-technique

ReputationRep:
    Your teachers are complete morons for shouting.

Theres 4 months until the exams. Enough to bounce back, learn from mistakes and tackle the exam in the appropriate fashion.

You just need to kind of channel out the criticism and focus on how you can improve your exam skills rather than the negatives.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need more help than TSR can give if I'm honest.

TSR can help with little things like I got a B, help me with my exam technique so I can get an A... but it sounds like this isn't academic at all and that you have a serious mental problem that only a doctor could help with.

Hope you're ok. Hope things pick up for you!!

ReputationRep:
    They were horrible to you. Don't ignore them, though -- prove them wrong. You say it's exam technique that let you down: past papers are available for a reason. Don't rest until you can get As on all of the past papers! I assure you, you can do this if you really want to.

ReputationRep:
    Here is something I know to be the truth; you don't owe a smile to anyone.

Look, not to go all rant-y and lecture-y (said the aspiring writer), but nobody has the right to make you feel like you owe them an apology for the way you feel. I can't even begin to tell you how sorry I am that you're going through this darling. It's enough to send someone spiralling out of control, and it's a testimony to your strength that you posted about it here.

I'm going to give you this number, which is for the Samaritans if you're in the UK. 08457 90 90 90
    It's open 24/7, 365 days a year. Please use it. If you ever just feel like you need to talk, here is a list of UK helplines for a range of mental health problems, including the ones you specify. If you're outside the UK, similar numbers are just a Google search away.

I know that sometimes it doesn't feel like it's enough, and I can't really help with that. I can't wave a wand and tell you how to cope. Half the time, I can't even help myself. But if you ever just want to rant or you feel like you're going to do something stupid, it can help just not to feel alone. I'm going to send you a friend request here, so accept if you're comfortable with that and know that if you ever want someone to talk to (day or night) there are people who care.

I'm new to trs and I hope I haven't overstepped by saying all of this. If this doesn't help, just forget all about it. I'm just going to leave it here in the hope that in some small way it does.

Sophie

ReputationRep:
    I have to say, it doesn't sound like you're in the right sort of supportive environment that you need right now, at school and possibly not at home. Do all concerned know about your diagnoses? If so they should definitely try harder to be supportive - perhaps you could download some leaflets on your illnesses for your dad? Mind is a good source of that kind of information.

If your school does know about your diagnoses, then frankly I'd complain to someone higher up the food chain (school board or something? Not really sure how private schools work ) about your treatment! If they don't know, I think it's definitely a good idea to tell them - get your parents or doctor to write an explanatory note that can be sent around whoever you think appropriate maybe.

I've heard about some private schools being very high-pressure - if that's the case with yours, I know you probably don't want to change again but possibly it might be for the best? A more laid college environment might suit you more (although I'd check local reputations, and maybe see if you can get a recommendation from your mental health team if you have one about where might be best for you), or even a bit of time off from education and focussing on your mental well-being (not necessarily just therapy/counselling, but taking up new hobbies, volunteering, enjoying yourself a bit more and stuff like that ). There's nothing to say you have to do X qualification at Y time of life if that's not what's best for you!

Also, basically no-one just 'snaps out' of mental health issues - if they're serious issues, then they're usually hard to shift unfortunately (although with appropriate treatment or sometimes sheer good luck it's totally doable). :sadnod: So don't go thinking that it's lack of willpower or anything like that that's making you ill. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much all. I have seen the GP a couple of times for my depression but the counselling waiting list takes ages. I've been receiving fortnightly counselling. It hasn't completely helped yet but it does feel great to get everything off my chest to someone, and knowing somebody is always there to listen.

Definitely will focus much more on exam technique and will try to maybe get involved in Zumba or yoga to relax. Thank you all x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caitprosser)
    You don't sound conceited or full of self pity. A lot of us can relate. Just try to remain focused, take each day as it comes and just do what you can. At the end of the day grades won't make you happy, and it don't care what anyone says- that's true. Just try to break it up into little steps, ignore anyone who doesn't believe in you. You are good enough and anything you want you can have, if you want it badly enough. You can only do your best. So get out there and try to ignore anyone who wants to bring you down- you deserve to do well. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you very much it really means a lot. I'll try to ignore it x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Moved to the Mental Health section

Don't worry, they were just a mock, and even if you do fail the exams, (ooh watch out! unpopular opinion alert) It's not a big deal, you could always redo them in college where the learning environment is a lot more laid back and less stressful. At the end of the day, your grades don't make you, you, and your dad should probably be reminded of that too.

Also what the head of year said was totally out of line, especially so if she knew that you no control over the way you feel and not being "smiley", go to someone higher up, school board maybe? She shouldn't be mocking you like that.

All the best and good luck in the finals,
    ~E

ReputationRep:
    Hiiiii it's me again, just an update. I have improved massively since the January mock exams. I am now achieving As in all of my subjects and for R.S and English got the highest marks in my class, and for the a) question in History also achieved the highest marks in my class. Remember the girl who went telling everyone I got a U in the history mock? She got a C/D in the recent mock, while I got an A Thankfully I'm not petty enough to go telling everyone her mark. Oh and to the headteacher who told me 'Cs would be a miracle!', laughed in my face when I said I aspired to achieve As and said 'Are you sure A Levels are for you?', well I have proved you wrong! Hopefully my high marks as of late will reflect in the real exams in a few days. Thank you SO much to those who helped me! x

ReputationRep:
    Hey can I please ask how you improved? I got a bad grade for one of my mock exams and I really need to step up but I don't know how? Could you please give me some tips on what you did?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.