Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I have a Royal Holloway interview for Physics soon and I can safely say I'm trembling in fear!!

Some people have told me that the admissions people try and catch you off guard with surprise questions and it nearly made me puke.

I can't think on the spot, my mental maths is horrid and I require a good amount of time to do problems.

If I'm asked a question, even if it's an extremely easy one I'm going to throw up on the floor. I am not joking.

Does anyone have any advice or any insight into what questions they'll ask?
    Everything on my personal statement I'll be glad to talk about, but if they ask me actual problematic questions I don't think I'll be able to function.

My friend who got into Cambridge asked me the same questions they did for her. Dear god, they asked her to draw parametric graphs which made my eyes bleed.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Buuump

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for physics too - on the 19th. Remember that they wouldn't have asked you for interview if they didn't think you have the academic potential to be there. They will see that you're nervous and make allowances for that. If you get asked a difficult question, take a deep breath and gather your thoughts before answering. I doubt that the questioning will be as difficult as Cambridge's. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schadenfreude65)
    I have an interview for physics too - on the 19th. Remember that they wouldn't have asked you for interview if they didn't think you have the academic potential to be there. They will see that you're nervous and make allowances for that. If you get asked a difficult question, take a deep breath and gather your thoughts before answering. I doubt that the questioning will be as difficult as Cambridge's. Best of luck.

Thanks that makes it a little better

but I've never had a proper interview like this before, is it worth revising for the interview?

ReputationRep:
    Wait can't Frieza already fly?.. or what is the point of learning physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r_u_jelly)
    Wait can't Frieza already fly?.. or what is the point of learning physics

Loool xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Frieza)
    Thanks that makes it a little better

but I've never had a proper interview like this before, is it worth revising for the interview?
    Hard to say. If you mentioned anything you've read in your personal statement, it might be worth re-reading in case they question you about it. I'm planning on reading through recent cosmology news as that's my area of particular interest, and I think showing that you're keeping up with current developments is helpful. Also, remind yourself of why you want to study physics: what is it about the subject that gets you excited? They are more likely to be impressed by your enthusiasm than by the ability to do complex maths in your head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schadenfreude65)
    Hard to say. If you mentioned anything you've read in your personal statement, it might be worth re-reading in case they question you about it. I'm planning on reading through recent cosmology news as that's my area of particular interest, and I think showing that you're keeping up with current developments is helpful. Also, remind yourself of why you want to study physics: what is it about the subject that gets you excited? They are more likely to be impressed by your enthusiasm than by the ability to do complex maths in your head.

Ok that's perfect, I follow astrophysics news everyday and already looked over my p.s.

Thanks for the help, hope you smash your interview!

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome, and thanks. I hope you do well too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Frieza)
    Ok that's perfect, I follow astrophysics news everyday and already looked over my p.s.

Thanks for the help, hope you smash your interview!
    I think I smashed my interview, but not in a good way! How about you? Did you puke on the floor?

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.