Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Zero hours contract? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I won't state which of their attractions its for, but I'm through to the second stage of interviews for Merlin Entertainment (that own various theme parks, Maddame Tussauds etc.)

The job is a 'zero hours contract' role. From my understanding, it's that your hours change continuously with how busy the attraction is.

Out of interest, do companies generally give you far too many hours or too few?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggington)
    I won't state which of their attractions its for, but I'm through to the second stage of interviews for Merlin Entertainment (that own various theme parks, Maddame Tussauds etc.)

The job is a 'zero hours contract' role. From my understanding, it's that your hours change continuously with how busy the attraction is.

Out of interest, do companies generally give you far too many hours or too few?
    From my experience your hours will change with the needs of the business, like just before xmas when it's ram packed all days you will get as many hours as you want and maybe even pushed to do more, but like in January when it's dead people will be struggling to get enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBuck)
    From my experience your hours will change with the needs of the business, like just before xmas when it's ram packed all days you will get as many hours as you want and maybe even pushed to do more, but like in January when it's dead people will be struggling to get enough.
    Pretty much what I thought it might be - thanks!

ReputationRep:
    The upside to 0 hour contracts is that you can turn down hours if they give you too many hours so it gives you a lot more flexibility, but 0 hour contracts mean hours aren't regular and you usually don't receive holiday pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachiriot)
    The upside to 0 hour contracts is that you can turn down hours if they give you too many hours so it gives you a lot more flexibility, but 0 hour contracts mean hours aren't regular and you usually don't receive holiday pay.
    Brilliant - thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Yep basically what everyone has said in this thread. You'll either get a few hours or get so many hours. I'm on a 0 hour contract myself..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohhello92x)
    Yep basically what everyone has said in this thread. You'll either get a few hours or get so many hours. I'm on a 0 hour contract myself..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Would you sign another one? I would much prefer regular contracted hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBuck)
    Would you sign another one? I would much prefer regular contracted hours.
    If I had another job, I wouldn't go for the 0 hour contract to be honest even though it's flexible I'd go for a regular hour contract. Ah fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.