Turn on thread page Beta

Russell Group 1st vs Oxbridge 2:1/1st watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    aaa

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge 2:1. Even if you were talking about high end russell group Uni's like Imperial and LSE, the answer would probably still favour Oxbridge
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Dear TSR,

Please stop beating me.

Regards,

A dead horse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ermm)
    Oxbridge 2:1. Even if you were talking about high end russell group Uni's like Imperial and LSE, the answer would probably still favour Oxbridge
    Are we talking graduate prospects, prestige or what here? Because I'm fairly sure a first from Imperial trumps a 2:1 from Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Are we talking graduate prospects, prestige or what here? Because I'm fairly sure a first from Imperial trumps a 2:1 from Oxbridge.
    Nope, it doesn't. The gap between Oxford/Cambridge and Imperial/Warwick/Durham/LSE etc. as far as prestige goes is huge.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather have the Russell Group first.

At least I haven't fallen short. I might not have even applied to Oxbridge for personal reasons.

ReputationRep:
    What about a 3rd from Oxbridge and a 1st or 2:1 from, say, manchester or Warwick?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This thread is even more tragic than I thought it would be.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to think a first from Imperial is better than a 2:1 from Oxbridge, but it depends how we define 'better'. Personally, I think a first from Imperial is more impressive, however the prestige associated with Oxbridge seems to cloud the rigour of an Imperial course (for example). After going through the whole Oxbridge application process, I've seen how much emphasis they put on exam results. To be honest, many of the 'pooled' applicants who end up taking a place at Imperial or LSE could have gained a place at Cambridge (speaking from experience) had their 'UMS' or grades been higher (I'm one them). Higher grades could have been achieved with putting a few more hours in tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HPF)
    Nope, it doesn't. The gap between Oxford/Cambridge and Imperial/Warwick/Durham/LSE etc. as far as prestige goes is huge.
    What are you basing this on?

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, when most people refer to employability, they're talking about major co-orporations with starting salaries of around £30,000 (just an example). The jobs which I like to think high end Russell Group students aim for, are those with a £60,000+ starting salary. What I like to call the 'elitist' jobs. It's here where I think the prestige of Oxbridge takes precedence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneTrueEvian)
    This thread is even more tragic than I thought it would be.

A 2:2 from Oxbridge is essentially useless and embarrassing - as is a 2:2 from anywhere. Imperial is about as good as Oxbridge for many of the sciences, arguably better, arguably not.

However there is a gulf between Oxford and say, Exeter or Manchester. The reality is employers usually prefer the first in most circumstances...that having been said, I made this thread to a degree because I acknowledge that the gulf between the two in terms of prestige and employment prospects is not overwhelmingly different.
    Take it you got the first from the non-Oxbridge uni

ReputationRep:
    What are you basing this on?
    The perceptions of everyone I've met in life so far, which include other students, my teachers in school, university professors (not oxbridge), careers advisors, recruitment teams, random people that I've only met once at open days etc.

ReputationRep:
    My mum admitted she'd take someone with a third from Oxbridge over a first from Russell groups/even coventry (I'm from there hence why it came up) which I think says it all! Personally I think the qualification overrides the university

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ermm)
    The thing is, when most people refer to employability, they're talking about major co-orporations with starting salaries of around £30,000 (just an example). The jobs which I like to think high end Russell Group students aim for, are those with a £60,000+ starting salary. What I like to call the 'elitist' jobs. It's here where I think the prestige of Oxbridge takes precedence.
    What are you talking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casprules)
    My mum admitted she'd take someone with a third from Oxbridge over a first from Russell groups/even coventry (I'm from there hence why it came up) which I think says it all! Personally I think the qualification overrides the university

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's quite silly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    What are you talking about
    Haha fair response. So people who aim to work in a high end investment bank or a hedgefund are more likely to be those from Oxbridge rather than any other Uni's. For instance, one of the filters they use at Goldman Sachs is the 'Oxbridge' filter just because the have such a surplus of applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ermm)
    Haha fair response. So people who aim to work in a high end investment bank or a hedgefund are more likely to be those from Oxbridge rather than any other Uni's. For instance, one of the filters they use at Goldman Sachs is the 'Oxbridge' filter just because the have such a surplus of applicants.
    I am aware that lots of those jobs get taken by high end university graduates, but the number of people who leave uni to go into 60k is tiny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    I am aware that lots of those jobs get taken by high end university graduates, but the number of people who leave uni to go into 60k is tiny.
    But it's that tiny proportion which is full off Oxbirdge students as opposed to students from other Uni's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kosovaa)
    That's quite silly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I told her that myself but loads of people she knows agree with her. Let's just say thank god she doesn't own a business or I'd have to take control of who gets employed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.