The Student Room Group

Another no friends thread but on steroids

Allo,

Anyone else not had a single friend or gone out for a social through the latter half of primary school, the whole of secondary school (aside from a slightly abusive friendship with an a-hole that just revolved around the 2 of us smoking loads of cigarrettes for a few months in Year 9) and the whole of sixth form? I am now working before deffered entry for Economics at LSE.

Someone at school actually took pitty on me in my class because I was always alone, but I hated that I liked the person as I knew the chances that I would be proper friends with the person were almost non-existant, because although I was able to maintain a bit of a convo, whenever said persons group came over I just turned into a mute (not completely like medical mute) as is the case with all group encounters. This was just in Year 11 and the person left school after that. All I do is cry into my pillow, because although the convos with said person were fleeting and awkward, it was all I had. However, said person is now ignoring me.

My coworkers are all old fogies.

Don't see the point in working hard at anything now either, I just scraped my offer, and don't know how I will gather the motivation to work at uni.

I am also slightly paranoid about people now.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Allo,

Anyone else not had a single friend or gone out for a social through the latter half of primary school, the whole of secondary school (aside from a slightly abusive friendship with an a-hole that just revolved around the 2 of us smoking loads of cigarrettes for a few months in Year 9) and the whole of sixth form? I am now working before deffered entry for Economics at LSE.

Someone at school actually took pitty on me in my class because I was always alone, but I hated that I liked the person as I knew the chances that I would be proper friends with the person were almost non-existant, because although I was able to maintain a bit of a convo, whenever said persons group came over I just turned into a mute (not completely like medical mute) as is the case with all group encounters. This was just in Year 11 and the person left school after that. All I do is cry into my pillow, because although the convos with said person were fleeting and awkward, it was all I had. However, said person is now ignoring me.

My coworkers are all old fogies.

Don't see the point in working hard at anything now either, I just scraped my offer, and don't know how I will gather the motivation to work at uni.

I am also slightly paranoid about people now.

*Has ignored me for two years now.
Reply 2
I think the most important thing you have to work on is believing in yourself. From what you write i can see that you are afraid to speak to people, why do you think this happens? I feel that you need to find ways to improve your confidence. I don't believe that you are not able to maintain a conversation and i guess you just need to meet people with similar interests. If you cannot do that at work maybe you should consider joining any clubs/societies/sports that you would enjoy, this way you could easily meet people to talk to and i am sure you wont have trouble finding conversation topics (you will have similar interests after all).

Maybe you should also try to talk to people that are close to you, like your family (strangers at forums can sometimes be helpful but when you talk to someone who loves you it is different). Also in my opinion going to University is the best way to meet new people. They usually have loads of different societies and there is something for everyone. And don't lose your motivation, your dreams are for you and by not working on them you are only damaging yourself.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending