Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Physics PhD in the US watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently doing a Msc in Physics at the university of aberystwyth and I am looking at continuing my studies to a PhD. I am looking into the possibility of studying in the USA, however I am a little unsure of how plausible this is. I am hoping to get a 2.1 or a 1st, however my first year grades were rather on lowside, I hear this matters a lot more in the US.
    Does anybody know how my chances at getting into a PhD in the US.
    Also are PhD's in the US fully funded like they are here in the UK?

Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    No higher education in the US if fully funded! The entire system is made to make money. That's why our undergrads have to take so many classes that do not count. It's really sad how it's not about the education! You might be able to find a scholarship program, because unis here always looking for diversity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh I forgot to answer the other question... Yes, your grades matter a lot more in the US, and I really don't know why because a lot of intelligent people are lazy, but that's just how it works. I was amazed when I looked at the GPA requirements for top unis here, but also happy! Haha I wouldn't be worried about getting in though. I am sure they wouldn't pass up the opportunity to take an international student and their money!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiteing666)
    Hi,

I'm currently doing a Msc in Physics at the university of aberystwyth and I am looking at continuing my studies to a PhD. I am looking into the possibility of studying in the USA, however I am a little unsure of how plausible this is. I am hoping to get a 2.1 or a 1st, however my first year grades were rather on lowside, I hear this matters a lot more in the US.
    Does anybody know how my chances at getting into a PhD in the US.
    Also are PhD's in the US fully funded like they are here in the UK?

Many Thanks
    http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php

In the search box on that page (thegradcafe results search, if it gets deleted), enter 'physics'. That is a list of peoples' application outcomes for US programs. The University is listed, as is the outcome of their application. The most useful information if you are interested in the general standard and profile of successful applicants are the little red diamond symbol which indicates the candidates GPA and GRE score, and the comments they leave, which often involve details of what funding they were offered by the university and how many years work/research experience and their relevant publications.

Don't listen to the ill-informed posts above, there are very numerous fully funded PhD opportunities in the US, but you have to be realistic that most of the 'best' universities are immensely competitive. A typical funding package based on a 5 year PhD program might be a full or partial tuition fee waiver, plus 2-3 year's stipend (to live on), plus 2-3 year's TAship or RAship, usually teaching or researching. I don't know about the sciences, but many humanities PhDs in the US end up taking 6 or 7 years, and the first 2 years are repetitions of what can often seem, after a UK masters, to be a very basic standard of work towards attaining full PhD candidacy.

Look into taking the GRE test at some point if you are serious about applying, take the online practice tests and understand the format of the test. The scores from this are often used to make the first few cuts of applicants, so don't casually think that an exceptional proposal or undergrad record will offset so-so GRE scores.

References are hugely important, but the same goes for the UK.

Proposal is make-or-break, you need to fit with the faculty interests and perform well if called for interview, but again this should come as no surprise.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.