Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Weight hasn't fluctuated during the day... - is this normal? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've recently started a new diet this week so that I can gain weight. I've started to increase my calorie intake to 2500 including drinking half a serving of a Serious Mass protein shake, and so far I've gained nearly 3 pounds.

I've weighed myself twice a day, in the morning when I wake up, and at night before I go to bed. I usually weigh a good 3 or 4 pounds heavier at night, before I lose a bit in the morning.

My problem today though is that I'm exactly the same weight tonight (7 st 11) as I was this morning. I've stuck to my diet consistently, but I'm worried if this will mean I'll lose weight in the morning!

Is it normal to not gain any weight during the day? Will my weight stay the same tomorrow, or will it go down?

Any help would be great, I've been working really hard to gain weight and I'd be disappointed if I lost any

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't be something to worry about... seriously, never consider weight loss over the course of days. Weigh after at least a week, probably every 2 and weight on 2-3 consecutive days. You might have excreted more hence why you may be weighing less. Just keep eating plenty. Then, after 2 weeks if you haven't gained weight, then you know to increase your calories by more.

Also, are you lifting weights/doing minimal cardio?

ReputationRep:
    Don't weigh yourself every day. There's your solution. Every week if you must, but less often if possible.

ReputationRep:
    My diets only started this week. But it's been working well because of the shakes.
    And I've joined the gym too this week, and went last night.
    It was only a simple workout - 10 minutes Cardio, 15-20 minutes Strength.
    I'm planning on going every other day.

Well the main reason I'm worried is because of the fact that I've increased my calories by 1000 this week. I don't really want to increase my calorie intake by any more, because I'm eating to the point I'm stuffed! Especially with the protein shake.

ReputationRep:
    so you are eating at maintenance for what your body actually needs for once

ReputationRep:
    "Gain weight" is a bit of a vague term. You'll gain weight by drinking a glass of water and lose weight by going to the toilet. The same goes for food. If you get your hair cut (you'd need one heck of a waxing to make a difference, mind you) you will lose weight. If you just get out the shower you will gain weight from the water and if you take your socks and shoes off to measure your weight, you will lose weight again. Hell, the position of the Sun and Moon in the sky will affect your weight when you try to measure it.

The conclusion of that day's events is that you've just moved mass around from a plate, a tap or somewhere else through your body. Nothing substantial has happened. This is why measuring your weight on a daily basis really doesn't mean much because there are so many variables. Perhaps one day you were thirstier?

Measure your weight over a larger period. Once a week or once every two weeks when starting out any sort of bodily changes, such as weight gain/loss, and reduce to maybe a couple of times per month when you level out and are consistent at a particular state. You need time to see changes and trends.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 27, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.