Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am going to be choosing my A Levels soon and I'm stuck on what to choose. In the future, I want to do either Law or do something in Banking as a career. The subjects I am thinking of choosing are:
    English Lit
    History
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Now I know I should probably choose something like Economics for Banking but apparently that's a weak A Level. Also, I need to choose subjects that I can use for both Law and Banking when I finally come to my decision as to what I want to do with my future.

ReputationRep:
    A-Level is Economics is NOT a weak subject! I advise you do to do Mathematics, Economics + any strong subject. (If applying to a top uni then you'll need further mathematics)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'd do economics too

ReputationRep:
    who on earth told you economics is weak...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    who on earth told you economics is weak...?
    We'll generally Economics is weaker than the subjects I've listed above, also it's not that flexible in terms of improving the different career paths I can go down

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fhalaseh)
    A-Level is Economics is NOT a weak subject! I advise you do to do Mathematics, Economics + any strong subject. (If applying to a top uni then you'll need further mathematics)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But what about law? I'm not sure which profession I want to go down yet so what do you recommend I do to accommodate both degree choices? Also, I didn't mean economics is weak, I meant it's considered weaker than chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdaamCarter)
    Yeah, I'd do economics too
    So would you choose economics over chemistry? Even though I'm not completely sure to do law or banking/stocks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely take Economics over Chemistry. I do both and Economics is incredibly easy, whilst Chemistry is harder than FM imo (and boring as ****)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m0hd_J)
    I am going to be choosing my A Levels soon and I'm stuck on what to choose. In the future, I want to do either Law or do something in Banking as a career. The subjects I am thinking of choosing are:
    English Lit
    History
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Now I know I should probably choose something like Economics for Banking but apparently that's a weak A Level. Also, I need to choose subjects that I can use for both Law and Banking when I finally come to my decision as to what I want to do with my future.
    If you are split over the two uni courses, I'd orientate your subjects towards doing economics/banking at uni. Most universities don't specify any subjects for law other than 'traditional' ones so for law it doesn't really matter whether you took all science or all essay subjects at A-level. An economics course is likely to be more picky over maths, economics etc so even if you took those subjects and then decided you wanted to do law you should still be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM101)
    If you are split over the two uni courses, I'd orientate your subjects towards doing economics/banking at uni. Most universities don't specify any subjects for law other than 'traditional' ones so for law it doesn't really matter whether you took all science or all essay subjects at A-level. An economics course is likely to be more picky over maths, economics etc so even if you took those subjects and then decided you wanted to do law you should still be fine.
    Would I be able to do banking/stock broking with a law degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would I be able to do banking/stock broking with a law degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not sure to be honest, I don't really know much about requirements for jobs in that area, maybe have a look at companies and see what degrees their people have? Another thing you could do is a economics/banking degree for 3 years followed by a 1 year conversion to law. Although people are split as to whether this decreases your chances of getting a career on law or not, it would certainly keep your options open for longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maths, economics and then anything else you enjoy that is a respectable subject (further maths would be great too only if you really like maths though)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So would you choose economics over chemistry? Even though I'm not completely sure to do law or banking/stocks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you decide to do law then economics will be fine

If you decide to do banking, economics seems like a must

It's not seen as weak, business studies is sometimes seen as week if you're not applying for a business degree but economics is well respected

Ultimately, just do what you enjoy because that's what will get you the best grades
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    English Lit
    History
    Maths
    Chemistry

Those subjects sound pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Those subjects sound pretty good.
    Even for an economics degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Even for an economics degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think the best thing to do is just to look at some uni admissions websites, it doesn't particularly matter which ones unless you have a burning desire to go to a particular one as there aren't going to be any huge differences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.