Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Migraines watch

I have been suffering from migraines for several years now but slowly painkillers have started having little or no effect (they worked before!)

Can anyone recommend any they have tried or have any tips in treating them please?

Go to the doctors. I pretty much had the same experience... most painkillers never worked, nurofen migraine pain and a couple of others worked for a while and then stopped. A combination of co codamol and ibuprofen occasionally works.

Go to the doctor and ask to try triptans... they'll probably try sumatriptan or imigran at first (you can get this over the counter, but at about £8 for 2 tablets, its much cheaper to get it on prescription... they'll probably try you on 6 tablets at first, then give you a larger prescription if it works well) It works well for me. I did find the lower dose wasn't so effective after a while, but since they upped my dose I've not had that problem. They do make me feel a bit lethargic sometimes but that as a side effect is far better than being stuck in bed with a migraine

They might also suggest preventative medication. Personally, I declined because I don't like being on anything long term unless I really need to be and I forget to take stuff too... much easier for me if its as and when. I can't comment on how effective preventatives are but they're probably worth thinking about if you get migraines quite regularly.

So yeah, definitely go to the doctors and ask to try triptans as they're not the same as other painkillers and are designed to work on migraines.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.