Winading001
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What would you describe as being associated with Black British culture?
Please share your honest opinion. All answers will be respected.(But still debated )
Before you post, please consider these questions:

Do you generally associate the Black British culture, in this country, with rap, hip hop and sport?
Do you think your opinion is influenced by the media(e.g BBC News)
Depending on where you live, are the Black British people you know perfect examples of the stereotypes the media represent?
ohemarica
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
'Shotting Weed' Babymothers and baby fathers

Posted from TSR Mobile
ohemarica
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh and don't forget vybz kartel and the azonto

Posted from TSR Mobile
Winading001
Rep:
?
Do you generally associate the Black British culture, in this country, with rap, hip hop and sport?
niceguy95
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends tbh

mix of african/british/carribean culture but predominantly carribean cuz they were here before the Africans

Im probably talking ****e any
Winading001
Rep:
?
By the way, before you post could you please look at the questions I have put forward on my first post.
Winading001
Rep:
?
(Original post by niceguy95)
Depends tbh

mix of african/british/carribean culture but predominantly carribean cuz they were here before the Africans

Im probably talking ****e any
In the second or third generation?
s.a.u
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's no such thing. It's urban working class culture that just happens to be wrongly attributed to all black people. The practice of labelling things as 'black culture' has created a self-fulfilling prophecy by which working class black youth buy into it, and perpetuate these practices. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with poverty, social exclusion, and lack of educational opportunities.
Winading001
Rep:
?
Tell my English teacher that
Winading001
Rep:
?
(Original post by s.a.u)
There's no such thing. It's urban working class culture that just happens to be wrongly attributed to all black people. The practice of labelling things as 'black culture' has created a self-fulfilling prophecy by which working class black youth buy into it, and perpetuate these practices. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with poverty, social exclusion, and lack of educational opportunities.
What lack of educational opportunities?
I'm British Black and I feel have an equal opportunity to those who are of the same social class as I am.
Obiejess
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Probably rap but I'd say that's thanks to the fact most rappers I listen to are in fact, black.

Posted from TSR Mobile
s.a.u
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Winading001)
What lack of educational opportunities?
The sort of black people that adhere to this notion of black culture are generally under-educated working class. The rest of us know it's bull****. I should have said lack of good education.
Winading001
Rep:
?
And whose fault would that be the government or the students?
Mutual_Euphoria
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Outspoken, money fast, academics purely for pursuing high earning careers, strong focus on designer labels, superficial, mall culture, emphasis on physical fitness, beats rather than guitars, tribalism above common decency, heavy use of empty rhetoric....
consumed by stuff
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Being white is great, i'm not saying its better. You can't deny its pretty great. We whites all prosper from white privilage. We should'nt feel guilty about it. We should recognize it though.

I think blacks do have it harder, not to say the good ones won't/can't succeed, but the bad ones are kinda trapped in a cycle of destructive behaviour and negative self perception.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Chicken & chips and Rubicon mango.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depending on where you live, are the Black British people you know perfect examples of the stereotypes the media represent?
no
DELETED ACCOUNT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There is no such thing as "Black British" culture unless you proceed with the notion of stereotyping. However, a unified black British culture does not really exist, unlike African Americans.
sophiamarni
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Chicken & chips and Rubicon mango.
i hate both i moved to a school which is predominantly black and they dont eat the latter but sadly serve chicken and chips every single day its so unhealthy im moving soon i hope cant stand the place
arkhamz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This isn't America where the black people have no clue where they're from and buy into stupid **** like 'thug lyfe'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
31.17%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.34%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.43%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (40)
25.97%

Watched Threads