Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why does everybody love to study medicine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    its like its most peoples passion here on tsr. just wondering cus i can never get myself to like science but i want to..
    but yeah, is it because its interesting or perhaps because it looks good/good pay?

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou in advance guys

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it's like there's plenty of opportunities after graduating like hospitals, science institutes, public health care etc..
    Or because they like to help people directly and make them happier
    I think you could volunteer to help people around the world too
    They get respect in society
    And an extremely good salary

Hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    For me it's a satisfying job

ReputationRep:
    Prestige/money.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd personally never want to study it. Seems way too stressful for a start!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dat prestige.
    Dat salary.
    Dat guaranteed employment.

ReputationRep:
    i know many who do it for money or the respect that comes with it, but everyone's got their own reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, love law always have and want that or politics as a career. Medicine is interesting but it's not for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone wants to study medicine...

ReputationRep:
    my dad keeps telling me to take medicine at uni but i probably won't, i wouldn't mind doing it as I don't mind science that much but medical schools look far too difficult to get into

ReputationRep:
    its quite interesting for some people to understand our bodies. i am trying to get into med school cause i like the subject, and i like to be challenged. not everyone likes, i know quite a few people who wouldn't dream of going into medicine because of the wok load, and the difficulty to get in to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Dat prestige.
    Dat salary.
    Dat guaranteed employment.
    this.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Because it's probably the most prestigious career to get and for that reason, a lot of people mindlessly try to get into Medicine. It's the typical aim of many a pushy parent. Getting through Medical School pretty much guarantees you a high paying job for life, so there's excellent job security. A lot of people also think it's the most altruistic job, although I really don't buy that because researchers and engineers can do a lot more good than a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    I'd never want to study medicine, it looks so boring. So much rote learning with no advanced concepts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Because it's probably the most prestigious career to get and for that reason, a lot of people mindlessly try to get into Medicine. It's the typical aim of many a pushy parent. Getting through Medical School pretty much guarantees you a high paying job for life, so there's excellent job security. A lot of people also think it's the most altruistic job, although I really don't buy that because researchers and engineers can do a lot more good than a doctor.
    An excellent summary of the only reason anyone wants to ever do medicine. Mostly parents, and if not parents its because you are 'mindlessly' running around like a headless chicken and just end up there.

Altruism - the idea of doing something selflessly, putting yourself out for others. I don't know what about research or engineering is altruistic...... (not saying that medicine is the most altruistic job, just pointing out that you don't know what altruistic means )

ReputationRep:
    I suppose doctors and medical staff are people we are familiar with and come into contact with from birth an so it's something people can relate to and aspire to from a young age. Doctors were the people who put things right and made us feel better (unless they were stabbing needles into us ) and perhaps significantly are some of the people who our parents trust, respect and rely on when they can't make things better themselves

What I'm trying to say I suppose is it's a big part about status for many although equally lots of people do desire to make others well. The high salary and job security have got to be attractive too. also on the prestige front is the change in title from Miss/Mrs/Ms/Mr to Dr.

From what I've been given to understand the hardest part of a medical degree (other than getting in) is the workload and memory aspect. Yes you do need to be clever to be a doctor but not as intelligent as the entry requirements would have us think. The high entry requirements and hoops to jump through more reflect the demand and popularity of the course rather than the course itself.

"I want to help people"
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by hslt)
    An excellent summary of the only reason anyone wants to ever do medicine. Mostly parents, and if not parents its because you are 'mindlessly' running around like a headless chicken and just end up there.

Altruism - the idea of doing something selflessly, putting yourself out for others. I don't know what about research or engineering is altruistic...... (not saying that medicine is the most altruistic job, just pointing out that you don't know what altruistic means )
    Are you actually serious? Who invented all of the medical equipment and drugs that doctors are reliant on? Who discovered how we are supposed to live healthily in the first place? Who created the infrastructure to allow modern medicine to exist in the first place? Researchers create the science that every single technological advancement is built on, and engineers but that science into action. Doctors are nothing more than vessels to put this progress into action.

ReputationRep:
    I myself would never enter the field of medicine. Not really my thing.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.