Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hello, I applied to study biochemistry at uni for 2014 entry, I did a lot of research to find the course I wanted to study but now I think I may be having doubts. Ive been told biochemistry contains very little chemistry content, and is mostly biology, is this true? I've enjoyed looking at things such as respiration, photosynthesis in biology, and I have loved studying chemistry so it kinda made sense to study biochemistry. Do you think biochemistry seems like the right course for me?

Ive got offers from Leeds and Nottingham, ive got an interview for Sheffield and im waiting for a reply from York. Ive got an interview for sheffield, but I dont want to go, what do I do? do I just withdraw my choice on ucas? Ive narrowed it down between leeds and york, I like leeds city more than york, but york is ranked higher for the subject, what should I do?! :confused: :confused:

Hi There,

I'd say the choice between Chemistry / Biochemistry really boils down to your aspiration post degree. Biochemistry will adequately cover you for any research career in Molecular Bioscience, which is arguably the forefront of modern medicine. Chemistry itself still has medical implications in drug design etc but branches out more into petrochemicals / synthesis of other useful compounds.

In terms of Chemistry content (I'm at second year Biochemist at University Of Sheffield) it comes and goes, In the first year principles of Chemistry are used to understand protein folding in terms of entropy / enthalpy along with some basic thermodynamics. It then ramps up in Second Year with alot more emphasis on numerous redox reactions in electron transport through to the numerous types of enzyme reaction mechanism. In terms of it being "Biology" is very debatable, there is very little study above cellular level and certainly to mention of Ecology!
    Molecular Biology is a focus in Sheffield as the department is extremely Research based, this is a combination of Biochemistry, Genetics, Microbiology and Molecular Biology all of which are relevant to modern medicine.

However for other Universities i'd check their syllabuses as Sheffield teach the course in a unique way.

I certainly would not disregard the Sheffield visit day, it's not actually an interview in any way shape or form, more of an informal chat for you to get to know the department! Come along and see what you think. There will be opportunities to talk to current students (including myself) so you can see if the course is right for you on the day.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.