Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Certainly for positions such as a the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics, I've heard that holders must "retire" from the position by the age of 67, although, saying that, the current holder, Michael Green, is 67 and still holds the Professorship...

Anyway, is this Cambridge's policy towards all professorships? Is it merely professorships or are all academics over the age of 67 expected to retire in order to allow younger members of faculty to break through?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apologetic Cube)
    Certainly for positions such as a the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics, I've heard that holders must "retire" from the position by the age of 67, although, saying that, the current holder, Michael Green, is 67 and still holds the Professorship...

Anyway, is this Cambridge's policy towards all professorships? Is it merely professorships or are all academics over the age of 67 expected to retire in order to allow younger members of faculty to break through?
    http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/h...statement.html

However this is for University and not college posts so there will be people much older than 67 with teaching posts (usually part-time or paid on a sessional basis) in the colleges. The academic world can move on and leave some parts of the Tripos courses with insufficient teaching staff.

ReputationRep:
    There are a fair few people still supervising into their 80s, so they don't have to stop all academic work.

ReputationRep:
    I believe you frequently become emeritus professor of X. My department has a guy in this role who is past the age of retirement - the university don't pay him any more. But he still has a college job and he keeps getting grants to pay for research, so it's hard for the university to entirely boot him out.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.