Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can I just go the walk-in centre if I think I have PCOS? watch

    • Thread Starter

    So I've been thinking for a while that I have PCOS.
    I put on weight pretty easily and it's difficult to lose.
    I get quite thick, dark hairs growing around my chin and neck.
    My periods are infrequent and irregular.
    And I'm tired a lot.

    I thought it was about time that I go to the doctors about this and find out once and for all, but I'm at uni and not registered with a doctor! I have no idea where and when to sign up, but there is a walk-in centre round the corner that a lot of the students use for various health problems. Is it okay for me to go there with this problem, or is this too much of a long-term thing for a walk-in centre?

    Not really, It'd need to be a GP as they'd want to see your medical records, order blood tests, etc. A walk in centre is only for minor ailments, infections and injuries. Any long term problems will have to be investigated and need follow up appointments need to be seen by a GP

    It is possible that the walk in centre has a GP clinic which you can register for. Registering for a GP is fairly simple, you just walk in, tell the receptionist you want to register and fill out a form most of the time. Some GPs allow you to register online.

    Use NHS choices to find local GPs to you. You can look at reviews if there are any and most now have websites where you can register or tell you how to register.

    Like the above poster said you need a gp because you need blood tests and an ultrasound scan to confirm it, iv recently been diagnosed and been seen by the same GP throught. If you go to a walk in centre theyll just tell you to register at a GP surgery.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.