Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Laptop physically broken, advice needed. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a bit of trouble with my laptop and just hoping the someone might be able to give me a little advice. First of all, a bit of background. I've had a HP Pavillion dv7 for around 2 years now. It runs well, and I do like the laptop. I had an overheating problem for a while, but clearing the fans with some compressed air seems to have got rid of the problem.

Yesterday I noticed that the hinge connecting the screen to the laptop has come loose and my laptop wouldn't close properly. I investigated a bit further by taking the covering off and found out that the screws that attached the main hinge to the screen seem to have broken from the plastic holding it together. It is a bit hard to explain, especially without photos. I think that when my laptop was overheating it must've melted the plastics and weakened it, seeing as this hinge is on the left hand side close to the fans which could get incredibly hot. Furthermore a piece of metal holding it together has snapped. It still works fine, I just can't close the laptop or move the screen very much which is a bit annoying, if I wanted an immobile device I'd have bought a PC. I think that if I re-soldered the metal it might work again, but that is entirely out of my depth. I'm tempted to go get it repaired but have no idea how much it'll cost (I'm pretty much broke) and have a feeling most are use to repairing software and hardware problems, opposed to the actual mechanics of the laptop. Anyone got any advice? Will be very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    As I think you realised photos of what it's like would help. However I'd suspect that any damage has come from a knock rather than anything overheating.

In terms of fixing bits of metal, Solder isn't that strong - especially if that metal gets any stress on it. Solder also only works on certain types of metal.

You may be able to find replacement parts if you search around. See if anyone is selling the same type of laptop as spares or repair if it's failed in some other way. You might also find you can get replacement parts direct from HP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    As I think you realised photos of what it's like would help. However I'd suspect that any damage has come from a knock rather than anything overheating.

In terms of fixing bits of metal, Solder isn't that strong - especially if that metal gets any stress on it. Solder also only works on certain types of metal.

You may be able to find replacement parts if you search around. See if anyone is selling the same type of laptop as spares or repair if it's failed in some other way. You might also find you can get replacement parts direct from HP.
    The joys of living without a camera or smartphone. Hmm, I haven't really knocked it, could have been wear and tear perhaps? The way it came off did look a bit melted but then again I'm not exactly an expert.

That is a fair point about soldering it tbh. I'll have a look on ebay see if anyone is selling a screen casing. In the mean time it isn't a huge issue, just more of an annoyance. Cheers for the advice and input though, much appreciated.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.