Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

IMDB top 250 films :D watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done this yet im about 100 the way through and so far

if you dont know how many you have seen there is a link below so you can start.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with or have not seen around 240 of them. It focuses on Oscar-bait films that are dark and about overcoming something most of the time. Why are there so few comedies? Or musicals? Or plain action films? There are so few films on that list with real charm and pizazz, it upsets me.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've only seen 25 of them. Plenty of classics on there I'm yet to see..

ReputationRep:
    I've seen 115, plus any listed under foreign names whose English translations I didn't recognise. I have some others on my 'to watch' list, which isn't actually a list but a mental note in my head.

There's a huge amount of stuff that I don't want to watch on that list, and a lot of mediocre films that somehow occupy unusually high positions, but I expect that will be true for almost everyone's opinion/taste.

ReputationRep:
    I've just seen my 71st. Slowly crossing the ones I haven't seen off the list.

(Original post by Tom_green_day)
    I disagree with or have not seen around 240 of them. It focuses on Oscar-bait films that are dark and about overcoming something most of the time. Why are there so few comedies? Or musicals? Or plain action films? There are so few films on that list with real charm and pizazz, it upsets me.
    Most movies are about overcoming something, that's called narrative. If you think there aren't that many action films on this list you need new glasses mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieTT)
    I've just seen my 71st. Slowly crossing the ones I haven't seen off the list.

Most movies are about overcoming something, that's called narrative. If you think there aren't that many action films on this list you need new glasses mate.
    No my words were 'plain action films' so not films that had action in them, but films that were mainly about the action like most Arnie films (not bloody Terminator) or Bruce Willis films (although they have Die Hard) or hell, even a few Bond films (I didn't see any)
    There are narratives that aren't about overcoming something, that's called diversity or creativity.

ReputationRep:
    No my words were 'plain action films' so not films that had action in them, but films that were mainly about the action like most Arnie films (not bloody Terminator) or Bruce Willis films (although they have Die Hard) or hell, even a few Bond films (I didn't see any)
    There are narratives that aren't about overcoming something, that's called diversity or creativity.
    Because as much as I like films like Total Recall, First Blood, Robocop etc. They just aren't as good as masterpieces like The Good The Bad and The Ugly (No Oscars so I dont think Oscar bait is the right term) or Terminator 2.

Please, do name me one story that doesn't involve overcoming some sort of a struggle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    240!?

I'm not a fan but I think the list is a decent starter into cinema. Hits up a lot of the classics and best directors, as well as including some of the audience favourites of recent years. It's an alright list for what's a simple popularity contest.

Also I think there are loads of comedies :confused:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'd quite like to work my way through. Would take quite a while though. 2 hours per film * 250 films = 500 hours. Quite the investment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I'd quite like to work my way through. Would take quite a while though. 2 hours per film * 250 films = 500 hours. Quite the investment!
    I work my way through, when I have the the time of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because as much as I like films like Total Recall, First Blood, Robocop etc. They just aren't as good as masterpieces like The Good The Bad and The Ugly (No Oscars so I dont think Oscar bait is the right term) or Terminator 2.

Please, do name me one story that doesn't involve overcoming some sort of a struggle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Eurgh I love Arnie but I just couldn't like the Terminator films.

Examples where it isn't about the character overcoming are ones where the character is not important. Many Bond films do not feature Bond going through any character arc, it's about him going through the motions and there is no 'overcoming' or 'conflict' involved. Another is some adventure stories, such as The Beach. There is no overcoming being done in that, it's about some people that find a beach and enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prandtl)
    240!?

I'm not a fan but I think the list is a decent starter into cinema. Hits up a lot of the classics and best directors, as well as including some of the audience favourites of recent years. It's an alright list for what's a simple popularity contest.

Also I think there are loads of comedies :confused:
    As in, I only really liked about 10 of the ones on that list and think they're justified. There are some that I liked but think they are too high/low and they're part of the 240 that I think are incorrect.

I've just skimmed the list down to 100 and I couldn't see a single film that I thought was a comedy.
    EDIT: Oh wait Holy Grail is 90 and Life of Brian is later down. Missed those both.

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh I love Arnie but I just couldn't like the Terminator films.

Examples where it isn't about the character overcoming are ones where the character is not important. Many Bond films do not feature Bond going through any character arc, it's about him going through the motions and there is no 'overcoming' or 'conflict' involved. Another is some adventure stories, such as The Beach. There is no overcoming being done in that, it's about some people that find a beach and enjoy it.
    It involves Bond overcoming a threat, the conflict is between his character and the villain. I really do think you need to give this list another look rather than just dismiss them as Oscar-bait (Which i find a stupid term considering Silence of the Lambs, a horror film, won the Big 5 oscars).

I really don't know if it's just some hipster predisposition or something, but I have no idea what angle you're coming from on the "Overcoming" thing. Which of the films on the Top 250 have you actually seen?

Also, how could you not like Terminator 1 or 2?

ReputationRep:
    I've just skimmed the list down to 100 and I couldn't see a single film that I thought was a comedy.
    EDIT: Oh wait Holy Grail is 90 and Life of Brian is later down. Missed those both.
    Modern Times, The Great Dictator, WALL-E, Toy Story 3, Dr Strangelove, Singin' in the Rain, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Wolf of Wall Street, City Lights and Some Like it Hot. And that's only the Top 100.

EDIT: Also Life is Beautiful, Untouchable, Snatch and Amelie.

ReputationRep:
    As in, I only really liked about 10 of the ones on that list and think they're justified. There are some that I liked but think they are too high/low and they're part of the 240 that I think are incorrect.
    Ah right. Yeah I've seen quite a few on the list and sure there's some I wouldn't put onto my top 250 films. It can't be full of everybody's favourites I guess :dontknow:

From a quick skim, along with the python films these could also be classed as comedies:

Life is Beautiful
    City Lights
    Untouchable
    Modern Times
    Dr Strangelove
    The Great Dictator
    Amelie
    Some Like it Hot
    The Apartment
    The Kid
    The General
    The Gold Rush
    The Big Lebowski
    It Happened One Night
    Fargo
    Annie Hall
    The Princess Bride
    Groundhog Day
    Underground
    The Graduate
    Stalag 17
    Roman Holiday

ReputationRep:
    Ah right. Yeah I've seen quite a few on the list and sure there's some I wouldn't put onto my top 250 films. It can't be full of everybody's favourites I guess :dontknow:

From a quick skim, along with the python films these could also be classed as comedies:

Life is Beautiful
    City Lights
    Untouchable
    Modern Times
    Dr Strangelove
    The Great Dictator
    Amelie
    Some Like it Hot
    The Apartment
    The Kid
    The General
    The Gold Rush
    The Big Lebowski
    It Happened One Night
    Fargo
    Annie Hall
    The Princess Bride
    Groundhog Day
    Underground
    The Graduate
    Stalag 17
    Roman Holiday
    There's a surprising number of Chaplin films that Tom_Green_Day doesn't consider comedies isn't there?

ReputationRep:
    There's a surprising number of Chaplin films that Tom_Green_Day doesn't consider comedies isn't there?
    It might just be not knowing about said films. I thought Stalag 17 was a serious war film till I watched it

ReputationRep:
    It might just be not knowing about said films. I thought Stalag 17 was a serious war film till I watched it
    I confess, I had no idea Dr. Strangelove was a comedy considering it was a Kubrick film. I was laughing the entire way through, the first time I watched it.

ReputationRep:
    I counted 82 that I've seen, I might have accidentally skimmed over something I've seen though.

Some good stuff on the list, but it could be better. I don't recall seeing Let the right one in, Persopolis, Moon, Hugo or The Road on the list, and I enjoyed them more than alot of the movies they listed. I'm happy to see some Studio Ghibli movies on there though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish list.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.