Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I'm trying to connect my desktop pc to my tv distance 20m. I don't want to have HDMI cables as I have 4 year old who could trip over the cables and as I'm in a rented flat I can put the cables under the carpet. The reason for this is so that I can watch sky go from my pc on my TV

    i have a sony 42" Bravia TV. BT Internet, Devolo power line adapters in the rooms

    Sky might still be offering their On Demand connectors for free, which will allow you to access OD services through your Sky box. Alternatively there are wireless means of streaming HDMI, although I can't comment on how good any of them are so I'd say have a look through Amazon to see if anything matches your needs. The upcoming AirTame is supposedly the simplest and most intuitive option though, with a single dongle plugging into your TV and connecting to your PC via WiFi. It won a couple of different CES awards and is due out in the next couple of months I think.

    Personally I'd either use a long HDMI cable or a HDMI Extender (like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-E.../dp/B002ECYEYA). The HDMI Extender uses regular cat5/cat6 ethernet cables (but it's not ethernet so wont work with other network technology).

    If cables around the place are an issue you can get rubber matting which the cables go through (like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170966110684).

    There are wireless HDMI adapters but I'm not sure how much I'd trust them to work. If you go that route get something advertising a range much longer than you're likely to need. (Also some items sold online use more radio power than they're legally allowed to, this could increase the chance of them interfering with wifi networks or cordless phones).
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.