Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Transformation of Crisps watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right then, it's time for change!

I've basically been saying for years that I need to change my lifestyle, but have never plucked up the courage to do something about it. I'm 26, obese, unfit and really weak for my size. I started off quite well last year, losing 2 stones in about 7 months just by cutting out the rubbish that I eat. However, in the second half of last year I was hit by a few major family problems, including my mother suffering a serious stroke, and as a result I comfort ate and put most of it back on! Oops! So, I've decided that I'm going to make 2014 MY year!

I joined the gym a few weeks ago and I've been given a set exercise plan to follow, which will get changed every 4-6 weeks. As I am a total and utter rookie when it comes to gyms, I'm starting off 'lightly' as my instructor puts it, although some parts I don't find light at all!

My workout is as follows. My primary aim is to lose fat, my secondary aim is to gain strength.

Warm up: 5-10 min on treadmill, gradually increasing speed

Resistance training: Most exercises are paired with another targeting the same muscle group, so I do 1 set on 1 exercise, then immediately jump into the next exercise in that pair without a rest, then take a 90 sec rest before doing it again until I'm done. If a machine isn't available, then I stay on that same exercise and repeat it but with just a 45 sec rest. All the following are for 60 reps, done in either 4x15 or 3x20 sets.

Chest press/pec dec (only on a 10kg weight to start, told you I was weak )

Lateral pull down/pulley (20-30kg weight)

Leg press (50kg weight, not paired with another exercise so done with 45 sec rest between sets)

Leg curl/calf raise (50kg weight)

Shoulder press (20kg weight) /lateral raise (using 5kg dumbbells)

Ab machine (50kg weight, done separately like the leg press)

Cardio: Ugh, this bloody kills me I'm doing high intensity interval training on the treadmill, 1 min slow (about 5.5ish) then 30 sec running like the clappers (about 12.5ish), repeat x8, then 5 min nice and slow to cool down.

Afterwards, I do lots and lots of stretches as when I had my medical when I first joined the gym it was noticed how incredibly inflexible I am!

So there we have it!

ReputationRep:
    Hi. It's great that you've taken the initiative to start working out

As for your routine, you're hitting high rep exercises. This will improve stamina and muscle endurance rather than your goal of increasing strength. I believe you will still get stronger but it's not the optimal rep range to focus on gaining strength.

Another point is that most of your exercises are isolations. At an early point in your fitness career I would focus on the compound movements (bench press, squat, deadlift, overhead press and barbell row) as these work the body as a whole (generally). Most strength is gained in the 3-5 rep range as strength is a function of the nervous system rather than muscularity although the two do correlate.

As for fat loss, that's really a bi-product of your diet. If you want to lose fat then calculate how many calories you burn in a typical day and remove 200-300 from that number and eat that amount of calories. At the end of the week, re-calculate your maintenance calories from your (hopefully) reduced body mass, subtract 200, and then eat that amount for the next week. Rinse and repeat.

You might have been given this programme by a personal instructor of the gym, but I find that these are generally garbage. It's been said to death but 'Starting Strength' is a great programme to begin with to learn the main lifts and get used to the intensity. You'll only have to be in the gym 3 times a week and your workouts will last around about 30-45 minutes.

It doesn't matter that you might only be able to lift the bar on a few of the exercises; most people start out like this Once you start a regular routing you'll be gaining strength at a phenominal rate. At least if you squat and deadlift you'll probably be one of the few who do, depending on your gym. More fool them

Good luck.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Subscribed! Good lock man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crisps)
    Right then, it's time for change!

I've basically been saying for years that I need to change my lifestyle, but have never plucked up the courage to do something about it. I'm 26, obese, unfit and really weak for my size. I started off quite well last year, losing 2 stones in about 7 months just by cutting out the rubbish that I eat. However, in the second half of last year I was hit by a few major family problems, including my mother suffering a serious stroke, and as a result I comfort ate and put most of it back on! Oops! So, I've decided that I'm going to make 2014 MY year!

I joined the gym a few weeks ago and I've been given a set exercise plan to follow, which will get changed every 4-6 weeks. As I am a total and utter rookie when it comes to gyms, I'm starting off 'lightly' as my instructor puts it, although some parts I don't find light at all!

My workout is as follows. My primary aim is to lose fat, my secondary aim is to gain strength.

Warm up: 5-10 min on treadmill, gradually increasing speed

Resistance training: Most exercises are paired with another targeting the same muscle group, so I do 1 set on 1 exercise, then immediately jump into the next exercise in that pair without a rest, then take a 90 sec rest before doing it again until I'm done. If a machine isn't available, then I stay on that same exercise and repeat it but with just a 45 sec rest. All the following are for 60 reps, done in either 4x15 or 3x20 sets.

Chest press/pec dec (only on a 10kg weight to start, told you I was weak )

Lateral pull down/pulley (20-30kg weight)

Leg press (50kg weight, not paired with another exercise so done with 45 sec rest between sets)

Leg curl/calf raise (50kg weight)

Shoulder press (20kg weight) /lateral raise (using 5kg dumbbells)

Ab machine (50kg weight, done separately like the leg press)

Cardio: Ugh, this bloody kills me I'm doing high intensity interval training on the treadmill, 1 min slow (about 5.5ish) then 30 sec running like the clappers (about 12.5ish), repeat x8, then 5 min nice and slow to cool down.

Afterwards, I do lots and lots of stretches as when I had my medical when I first joined the gym it was noticed how incredibly inflexible I am!

So there we have it!
    update please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    update please
    His name doesnt give me that much confidence that theres an update

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nvmthename)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cheeky!

update please
    Completely forgot about this thread! Just a quick update because I'm at work at the minute, I will do a detailed one when I get home tonight, but basically, I'm still going well, now 2.5 stones lighter than when I was. Training plan is now 5 days a week, plus spin and body pump classes, and I'm eating like a bloody nutritionalist! Again, I will do a detailed update tonight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crisps)
    Cheeky!

Completely forgot about this thread! Just a quick update because I'm at work at the minute, I will do a detailed one when I get home tonight, but basically, I'm still going well, now 2.5 stones lighter than when I was. Training plan is now 5 days a week, plus spin and body pump classes, and I'm eating like a bloody nutritionalist! Again, I will do a detailed update tonight!
    Wow grats, you should really log more often as you can and will inspire others even if they don't let you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow grats, you should really log more often as you can and will inspire others even if they don't let you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know

Ok, here we go... Here's my newest training plan. I'm still going by what my PT advises I do, as that's what I've done so far and I'm very happy with the results so far. I've only just started this one and there's a bit of new stuff in there so I'm not putting what weights I use because I'm still experimenting...

Warm up for all days: 5 min rowing intervals on max resistance, 45 sec 50% effort, 15 sec 95% effort.

Mon - back, followed by a spin class.
    - Stiff leg deadlift to shrug 5x10
    - Single arm cable row 4x12
    - T-bar row 4x12
    - Assisted pull up 4x10
    - Bent over row 5x10
    - Wide grip lat pull down 4x10
    - Low row (on pulley machine) 4x10.

Tue - chest
    - Incline chest press 5x10
    - Pull overs 4x10
    - Cable flys 4x12
    - Smith machine neck press 4x10
    - machine iso press 4x10
    - standing land mine press 4x8
    - incline flys 4x12

Wed - legs
    - leg press 5x10
    - squats 4x10
    -leg curl 4x10
    -walking dumbbell lunges
    - calf raise 4x12
    - sumo deadlift 4x10
    -walking calf raise.

Thur - bodypump class

Fri - day off

Sat - shoulders
    - Seated Smith machine press 5x10
    - Dumbbell lat raise 4x10
    - Barbell shoulder shrugs 4x12
    - anti gravity press 4x10
    - dumbbell hammer front raise 4x10
    - superset: bent over flys/high rope pulleys, 4x 10/10.

Sun - arms
    - weighted dips 5x10
    - EZ bar standing wide curls 5x10
    - rope pull downs 4x12
    - hammer curls 4x10
    - single arm overhead extension 4x12
    - close grip bench press 4x10
    Superset: close grip EZ bar preacher curls/kick backs 4x10/12.

Diet: I'm eating like a bloody nutritionalist! A typical day would be:

Breakfast: eggs (either poached or as an omlette) with green veg (usually spinach), banana, green tea.

Lunch: chicken/turkey/fish, sweet potato (I usually have it mashed or as wedges), veg, green tea

Dinner, same as lunch, but without the sweet potato.

Snacks: nuts and seeds/Greek yoghurt with fruit/cottage cheese. I usually have 2 or 3 snacks a day.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I assumed his goal was achieved when he went from a big round potato to a cut crisp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    I assumed his goal was achieved when he went from a big round potato to a cut crisp.
    From Walkers to McCoys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)

From Walkers to McCoys
    Nah. Kettle Chip

ReputationRep:
    Update!!!!!

I'm still at it! However, my weight loss has significantly slowed down; I'm not sure if that's because I'm being too naughty with my diet or because I'm putting on muscle (probably the latter!) Therefore my PT has put me on this evil new plan. He says the idea is to get my heart rate up to its absolute maximum, but because it's not just cardio cardio cardio, and I'm still attending body pump classes I will still maintain my muscle mass. I'm just copying and pasting this from my notes on my phone as I can't be arsed to type it out properly Most days consist of starting with a big compound lift, then a circuit. The circuit is completed as fast as possible.

MON:
    Deadlifts - 8 x 4, 30 sec rest (go heavy, you're doing less!)
    Circuit:
    Burpees x 15
    TRX Rows x 15
    Box jumps x 15
    Rower flat out for 60 sec (aim for 250m)
    Do full circuit as quick as poss, then rest. Rest for as long as needed, then repeat. Do as many rounds as poss in 25 min. You will be tired!!!!

Then have a good rest and do spin after

TUE
    Dumbbell bench press 4x8 30 sec rest (go heavy, you're doing less!)
    Ball slams x15 (use medium orange med ball)
    Kettle bell shoulder press x15
    Kettle bell swings x15
    Do full circuit as quick as poss, then rest. Rest for as long as needed, then repeat. Do as many rounds as poss in 25 min. You will be tired!!!!

Then have a good rest and do RPM after

WED
    Medium grip pull up 4x8 30 sec rest (go heavy, you're doing less!)
    Circuit:
    TRX press x15
    Power squats x15
    Power sit up x 20

THUR: body pump

FRI: rest

SAT
    Squats 4x8
    Circuit:
    Alt lunges x16 (as you progress, go for Jump lunges)
    Sumo squats x15 (with 24kg kettle bell)
    Kettle bell swings x 15
    Rower flat out 60 sec (aim for 250m)

Sun: cardio day
    Interval training: x trainer
    10x 1 min high intensity efforts but rest as long as needed between sets until completely recovered. It doesn't matter whether it's 15 sec or 5 min! Better recovery - better performance - more calories burnt - improved EPOC effort.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Bondage must get on well with Little Miss Naughty.

(Oh yeah good luck in your progress.)

ReputationRep:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.