Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I found that nhs funded courses students get £1000 grant but how do you get that paid? Is it monthly like the bursary or annually? Also you dont need to apply separately for grant, init? when you are approved for bursary, you automatically get your grant paid, right?
    As from my research, the things that will apply to me as i live with my parents
    - Nhs course students do not have to apply for student finance!! but have to apply for only bursaries through BOSS..
    - apply only once you get an offer
    -practice placement expenses claim is only after joining uni.. so dont need to worry about it now

    right? just making sure

    the NHS pay your tuition fees directly to your university. The 1k bursary is not means tested, everyone gets that annually, maintenance bursarys are means tested therefore if your parents/partner earn 'too much' you will not get a bursary and may want to apply to Student Finance for a loan. You apply for the bursary for both tuition fees and maintenance once you have been accepted by your university. You only get placement expenses if you can prove that it costs you more to get to the placement than it does to get to university and then you will be refunded the difference. Grants don't exist any more.

    The £1000 gets paid monthly along with any means tested funding you are entitled to. You don't get it automatically so you'll have to apply through the NHS boss system. As for student finance, you are still entitled to a maintenance loan from them it is just reduced to £2324 (or something like that) per year. This gets paid at the start of each term (so sept, jan and apr) and has to be repaid once you are earning over a certain amount.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2014
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.