AS mock exams watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Mock grades for AS exams
    Maths: E
    Chemistry: C
    Biology: U
    Philosophy and Ethics: C
    I don't know what happened, I really don't.. how can I manage my time to revise for these to succeed and get A's in the summer?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by biochemmath123)
    Mock grades for AS exams
    I don't know what happened, I really don't.. how can I manage my time to revise for these to succeed and get A's in the summer?
    Don't worry, I got grades like Es and Ds in my mocks in AS, then As and Bs in the summer AS exams. Just work hard and you can do it

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, that's reassuring!
    How did you manage your revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thank you, that's reassuring!
    How did you manage your revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Timetable, which I actually stuck to (other times I tried to use it, I didn't stick to it, and failed exams). About 1-2 hours per subject a day during study leave. Do an hour of revision then have a 10 min break. Lots of past papers, mark harshly! And work on what you lose marks on.
    Eat plenty of protein and veg (snack on nuts and dried fruit). I went on runs/walks round the block most mornings to get my mind working properly. But yeah, start early and don't cram. Just like a run, pace yourself, don't rush or you'll burn out and not remember things well.

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's all good buddy. I averaged Cs during my mocks too, but came out with all As in the end. Just make sure you keep going over everything you've learnt at a steady rate - you want it to sink in and stay there, no point cramming.

ReputationRep:
    I got UUC (Didn't have a mock for my fourth choice), loads of people have been telling me things like 'Universities can see your mock grades when you apply' etc, is this true or is it a load of bs? Do mocks actually matter or count towards anything other than being a reality check, in my case...
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    If your schools anything like mine the grade boundaries they used wil be way higher than the ones in the summer to scare people into doing more work.

ReputationRep:
    I am so bad at making timetables I just choose what I am going to do on the day, will a timetable really help because I have my next mocks in two weeks and was wondering if I should actually try and make one

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got my mocks back yet but I'm DREADING chemistry!! I tried so hard but apparantly all of my set have gotten U/E/D as a result... I think I'll cry!
    I revised chemistry so well but I think I hugely underestimated biology and maths... Core 1 and Core 2 I could've cried. ;( Biology was strange... loads about fish!?
    German went ok and I got an A but I think with languages you're ok as long as you have lots of vocabulary etc. etc.
    I'll keep you posted on my grades for the mocks. :/

ReputationRep:
    Mock grades for AS exams
    AS is a hardass year! Trying to get into the a level mindframe and leaving behind gcse was probably one of the hardest things ever, the examiners seem to get worse, the questions dodgier... I'd say look at their mark scheme and memorise what they ask for. Stuff like biology they'll most likely ask for terminology etc. A2 gets easier You learn how to cope with the workload

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SharminaSyeda)
    A2 gets easier You learn how to cope with the workload
    Especially true if you drop a subject!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jooooshy)
    Especially true if you drop a subject!
    Chemistry for me, was getting nowhere with that subject!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hp707)
    I got UUC (Didn't have a mock for my fourth choice), loads of people have been telling me things like 'Universities can see your mock grades when you apply' etc, is this true or is it a load of bs? Do mocks actually matter or count towards anything other than being a reality check, in my case...
    Universities can see your mocks yeah. They understand that they're only mocks, but top unis requires a strong CONSISTENT academic record which includes your work throughout the year i.e. Mocks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ross95)
    Universities can see your mocks yeah. They understand that they're only mocks, but top unis requires a strong CONSISTENT academic record which includes your work throughout the year i.e. Mocks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think they can..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got ABCC (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lit respectively) and my school are making me do extra work as I am "under-achieving". I was super proud of my results but it feels like they are only seen as good to people in my position. So it seems that mocks are there to push you to do more work regardless of what you get- and I'm sure you can improve (well done on the Philosophy& Ethics- everyone I've spoken to has got an E or lower).

The new way of marking compared with GCSE is quite difficult to adapt to as it is very specific. As said before me, past papers are your friends! Read examiner reports as well as they help to tell you what the common errors are and topics that are often tested etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ross95)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Lucy96)
    I don't think they can..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Definitely not!

ReputationRep:
    Seriously though. Mocks are the most unrealistic set of exams ever. Last year in my AS mocks I got ABCE and ended up with AAAB. If you work hard you'll be fine! Past papers are brilliant. And doing a little every day works. I also preferred school study instead of going home for study leave. Maybe if you go to your local library, you could still to a routine and not get distracted!

My A2 mocks were also horrendous. Got ABBD. Definitely not getting that considering my firmed offer is AAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kendellex)
    Seriously though. Mocks are the most unrealistic set of exams ever. Last year in my AS mocks I got ABCE and ended up with AAAB. If you work hard you'll be fine! Past papers are brilliant. And doing a little every day works. I also preferred school study instead of going home for study leave. Maybe if you go to your local library, you could still to a routine and not get distracted!

My A2 mocks were also horrendous. Got ABBD. Definitely not getting that considering my firmed offer is AAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow those grades are amazing, that's what I'm hopefully aiming for in as my AS grades! May I ask what A levels you picked and what/where you've applied for for uni?

ReputationRep:
    Mock grades for AS exams

At least you got some Cs LOL,

for AS mocks I got Es and Us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u_lovelife)
    Wow those grades are amazing, that's what I'm hopefully aiming for in as my AS grades! May I ask what A levels you picked and what/where you've applied for for uni?
    Awh thank you (:

I'm studying geography, biology, chemistry and maths.
    I firmed University of Nottingham for Natural Science (the Geography, Maths and Biology pathway)
    (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.