The Student Room Group

Travers Smith Vacation Scheme Interview

I have a vac scheme interview with Travers Smith next week. For any of you who have already had an interview with them, what kind of questions did you get asked? :smile:
Reply 1
I have one with them next week - not sure if you'll see this post, how did it go?
Original post by GTebbs92
I have a vac scheme interview with Travers Smith next week. For any of you who have already had an interview with them, what kind of questions did you get asked? :smile:

A friend of mine had an interview with them. Apparently his worst mark at uni was in criminal, so they grilled him on criminal law for half the interview...
Reply 3
Original post by TurboCretin
A friend of mine had an interview with them. Apparently his worst mark at uni was in criminal, so they grilled him on criminal law for half the interview...

I'm pretty worried they're going to ask me something I don't know a lot about! Is there anything else in particular he was asked you can remember?
Reply 4
I had mine yesterday. It was pretty relaxed. Only lasted about 20 minutes. We discussed a bit of criminal law too though it was more about my morals and the ability to stand my ground I think. We also had a similar discussion about contract and then it was just general chit chat about me. You don't need an indepth knowledge of the law, just be logical with your argument :smile:
Reply 5
I had mine yesterday. It was pretty relaxed. Only lasted about 20 minutes. We discussed a bit of criminal law too though it was more about my morals and the ability to stand my ground I think. We also had a similar discussion about contract and then it was just general chit chat about me. You don't need an indepth knowledge of the law, just be logical with your argument :smile:

Who was your interviewer? I have Andrew King who's in litigation... described as a 'formidable lawyer' so I'm really going to need my logical thinking cap on. What kind of questions relating to contract and criminal did they ask? Glad it went good for you!
Original post by RobertWhite
I'm pretty worried they're going to ask me something I don't know a lot about! Is there anything else in particular he was asked you can remember?

I didn't actually speak to him directly about it - I heard this from a mutual friend of ours. I do know that he was also asked questions about dishonesty and problems based on that. Apparently it was based on his app, so I doubt you would get similar questions.

Any partner interview is going to be fairly unpredictable. Some partners like to go off-piste, so your best bet is to know the firm inside out and be able to justify anything you've said in your app. If they ask you about anything else, chances are it's to see how you handle pressure so to try and prepare would be to miss the point.

Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by TurboCretin
I didn't actually speak to him directly about it - I heard this from a mutual friend of ours. I do know that he was also asked questions about dishonesty and problems based on that. Apparently it was based on his app, so I doubt you would get similar questions.

Any partner interview is going to be fairly unpredictable. Some partners like to go off-piste, so your best bet is to know the firm inside out and be able to justify anything you've said in your app. If they ask you about anything else, chances are it's to see how you handle pressure so to try and prepare would be to miss the point.

Good luck!

Good advice, thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by RobertWhite
Who was your interviewer? I have Andrew King who's in litigation... described as a 'formidable lawyer' so I'm really going to need my logical thinking cap on. What kind of questions relating to contract and criminal did they ask? Glad it went good for you!

I had a different interviewer to him. We discussed the situation where he stole an umbrella and then realised it was actually his anyway and I had to argue whether or not I thought it was theft. The contract one was about what I would do if I knew a client had lied in order to secure a contract.

It was nothing too technical. Just try and be logical about your argument and you will be fine, even if you don't get the exact bit of law they are asking about. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 9
Is it only 1 interview for vac scheme or 2 as for tc?
Reply 10
Original post by cozza654
Is it only 1 interview for vac scheme or 2 as for tc?

Just the one :smile:
Reply 11
Just the one :smile:

Excellent, had it today :smile: Any idea when they get back to you?
Reply 12
Original post by cozza654
Excellent, had it today :smile: Any idea when they get back to you?

I had mine on a Wednesday and heard back the following Monday so they're pretty quick! :smile:
Reply 13
I haven't heard back yet and I had an interview last Tuesday

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending