Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I've just been offered two placements to choose from for being a King's College Hospital Volunteer. I have the time to do either, but I have to choose one and I can't decide which one would give me the best experience. I'm writing here to see what other people's ides on it are so that I can form my own views. The placements are:

    1) Volunteering at the haematology department at the Elf & Libra ward
    The duties are pretty much the same as placement 2, except there is more I can do to support members of the ward team e.g. I can also help to ensure patients are eating and drinking, and provide relaxation activities, ensuring that noise is kept to a minimum on the wards to aid sleep/anxiety, and there are more administration duties.

    2) Volunteering at the renal department at the fisk ward
    Similar to placement 1, but I can additionally purchase items for patients, and administration duties aren't on a regular basis, and is done only under supervision

    Thank you

    First placement, in my opinion, is better because it has more responsibilities since you have mentioned that second one, some part would be under supervision.

    I would go for renal for a few reasons. Patients on replacement therapy are usually bored out of their minds and would probably appreciate the company. Secondly, a fair amount of patients on the haem ward will probably be barrier nursed and you may not have much access to them.

    Besides that, there probably isn't much between them.
    • PS Reviewer

    PS Reviewer
    Haematology. Cause on the whole, renal patients (bar those present for dialysis) tend to be much sicker so I think perhaps a bit harder to get to know and talk to. Also it'll be nicer for you to be unsupervised.

    Props on the volunteering, by the way, I think you'll get something out of either of them for sure

    EDIT: If it's a dialysis ward then definitely go for renal.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.