Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am an old timer. I am very interested in the subject of education in state schools in general and Government Policy. What I would like to hear about is: Who pays for textbooks in secondary schools these days ? Do schools supply them ? Or Parents pay ? Or both ? Or is it implied by hints that the parents need to buy more to realise the student's full potential? I notice for example that Edexcel books for A level modules are typically £15 a go and the reviser another £5. Its a very interesting subject. Curiously enough it is not easy to find any info on the net on the policy. If any one wants to contribute to my understanding I would be delighted. Ty to all

ReputationRep:
    I personally have never bought a textbook in my life for the actual course, my school has always provided them, and I believe this tends to be the general rule. However revision guides and such, and extra textbooks for reading around the subject, I have always purchased myself. I think the idea is the textbooks should be provided as it would be unfair if some could afford them and others couldn't. Any more questions just ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I like school)
    I personally have never bought a textbook in my life for the actual course, my school has always provided them, and I believe this tends to be the general rule. However revision guides and such, and extra textbooks for reading around the subject, I have always purchased myself. I think the idea is the textbooks should be provided as it would be unfair if some could afford them and others couldn't. Any more questions just ask!
    Thank you that is useful info. So your school provided everything you needed ? Were the text books good ? Do you get one each ? A new one ? Can you take it home ? Can you put notes in it ? Is it from a major provider eg Edexcel or a mainstream generic book ?

ReputationRep:
    There isn't a common policy for non compulsory 6th form education.
    At my school it varies from subject to subject depending on their budgets but as far as possible they are provided.
    For as long as I can remember the maths dept have required students to buy their own text books for core maths but had some budget to enable them to provide them for stats and mechanics.
    Where provided, they re-used year after year until they fall apart or the syllabus changes.
    Students certainly are not allowed to write in them but they can take them home.
    Most departments are using a text book matched to the specific syllabus they are teaching rather than a generic text book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    There isn't a common policy for non compulsory 6th form education.
    At my school it varies from subject to subject depending on their budgets but as far as possible they are provided.
    For as long as I can remember the maths dept have required students to buy their own text books for core maths but had some budget to enable them to provide them for stats and mechanics.
    Where provided, they re-used year after year until they fall apart or the syllabus changes.
    Students certainly are not allowed to write in them but they can take them home.
    Most departments are using a text book matched to the specific syllabus they are teaching rather than a generic text book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    Thank you that is useful info. So your school provided everything you needed ? Were the text books good ? Do you get one each ? A new one ? Can you take it home ? Can you put notes in it ? Is it from a major provider eg Edexcel or a mainstream generic book ?
    The school provides everything we need though lots of us buy revision guides as extras. The text books are often course specific, ie made for the exam board we are using, and so are perfectly fit for purpose. We do get one each in virtually every case - the only example where I haven't is in history where they have four different textbooks for my Russia course so I share with a friend. They are very good quality generally, and get updated when the course changes, or in the case of my politics textbook when a new election happens. We take them home, and can write in them in pencil, or I put sticky notes in the book, but never in pen. Mostly major providers, but sometimes particularly at A Level we used the texts of other writers, scholars considered experts in their fields.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I like school)
    The school provides everything we need though lots of us buy revision guides as extras. The text books are often course specific, ie made for the exam board we are using, and so are perfectly fit for purpose. We do get one each in virtually every case - the only example where I haven't is in history where they have four different textbooks for my Russia course so I share with a friend. They are very good quality generally, and get updated when the course changes, or in the case of my politics textbook when a new election happens. We take them home, and can write in them in pencil, or I put sticky notes in the book, but never in pen. Mostly major providers, but sometimes particularly at A Level we used the texts of other writers, scholars considered experts in their fields.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ty too. that's really useful.

ReputationRep:
    I had to as I self-taught A-Levels, but I think I lot of people borrow from the library, or use the internet. Now I am at university, as use online methods a lot, and apps are there for everything now!!

I just steal the textbooks in class.

ReputationRep:
    I write my own textbooks. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I just take the school books (and don't give them back) :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We are given one geography textbook and allowed access to others only if give them back immediately, no English textbooks and have to pay for history one (extra reading materials available at times)

ReputationRep:
    at my college we had to buy our own textbooks for everything, we even had to buy our own lab coats for biology and chemistry, it got really expensive, the teachers wouldnt let us borrow textbooks, and the library had limited copies which were only available for 7 day loans, meaning we pretty much had to buy all the textbooks ourselves

at secondary school it was pretty much 50/50, some were provided but only during lessons, we couldnt take them home, and there wasnt copies in the library either, so if a subject had a lot of work at home to do then we had to buy them, and some subjects we had to buy them ourselves anyway, or some provided a textbook for in lesson use only, but then made us buy revision books and workbooks to use too

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.