Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi guys

I was wondering about whether there is a realistic chance for somebody who studies at a UK target to land a summer internship at NYC? I guess that's possible only from coming like LSE/Oxbridge, and still in that case it would be hard, but how about UCL/Warwick? Would it require a good amount of networking, or what exactly, given that you already have a solid uni name.

(Original post by ParetoOptimum)
    Pretty sure it's near impossible to land a NYC IB internship if you don't have American citizenship. They're very "patriotic" over there and don't want to go through the VISA hassle. Unlike in the EU where there's free movement of labour so in London you'll see interns from all over Europe. And they're spoiled for choice given NYC will be the no.1 destination for every wannabe IB'er in America. You'll be up against the best of the best from the top American uni's. Unless you have some very good contacts in high places I wouldn't hope for much. And I don't know why you're differentiating LSE/Oxbridge from UCL/Warwick. All are target uni's for London IB's but it'll hardly matter for American ones given what I just said. Also, a bit beside the point, but given my experience, if you compare the individuals at these uni's there's nothing between themat all in terms of work experience, academic quality and business acumen (when comparing wannabe IB'ers that is)
    I see, thanks. How about transferring then? Usually how many years would it take for the bank to be willing to relocate you if you wanted?

It actually has very little to do with american citizenship and visa issues. These banks are large enough to sponsor visas just as they do for international students attending colleges there. Banks in the London do it for international students who are need visas here. Visa hassle and partiotism has nothing to do with it.

The problem lies with recruitment. Generally, banks tend to recruit there on campus. That means they'll go to target schools (whether it be ivys, good liberal arts colleges or a few other private and state institutions) and conduct first round interviews on campus through the careers service. If you pass, you're then invited to a super day at the bank in NY.

Over here, its all done online and therefore, in theory, any one can apply.

Transferring usually happens on a case by case basis. If you are needed, you are needed. They handle all the visa work, relocation bonus issues, exams you might need to take for you. On the other hand, if you want to move because it's NY, without credible reasons, 99% of the time, it won't happen.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.