Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ATM, I'm waiting on a start date for a job so hopefully won't be on JSA allowance any longer.

At my last advisor meeting last week, my advisor told me that if this job didn't pan out (did not know I'd got the job at that stage) that they should would either put on a two-day training or mandatory work.

Now, since November 2013, I'd been doing voluntary work in admin etc which I firmly believed helped me get this job I'm waiting on and helped me get an interview for another job which I was unsuccessful for.

But she said despite it being voluntary work, I'd have to do mandatory work. So potentially, had things not worked out for me, I would have had to leave my voluntary work to do a mandatory work scheme (am I right in saying that's basically the Work Programme and a placement at Poundland?) that won't have helped me in getting work in the field I'm experienced in?

Madness to me if that's the case. Shame some logical thought can't go into these sorts of situations when a person is actively heloing their chances for work and it could be hampered by leaving that for his mandatory work scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    ATM, I'm waiting on a start date for a job so hopefully won't be on JSA allowance any longer.

At my last advisor meeting last week, my advisor told me that if this job didn't pan out (did not know I'd got the job at that stage) that they should would either put on a two-day training or mandatory work.

Now, since November 2013, I'd been doing voluntary work in admin etc which I firmly believed helped me get this job I'm waiting on and helped me get an interview for another job which I was unsuccessful for.

But she said despite it being voluntary work, I'd have to do mandatory work. So potentially, had things not worked out for me, I would have had to leave my voluntary work to do a mandatory work scheme (am I right in saying that's basically the Work Programme and a placement at Poundland?) that won't have helped me in getting work in the field I'm experienced in?

Madness to me if that's the case. Shame some logical thought can't go into these sorts of situations when a person is actively heloing their chances for work and it could be hampered by leaving that for his mandatory work scheme.
    do not forget that witk work programme, you will stay about 2 years with them even if you are employed I had temp contract with agency for a job and even during my contract, people from work programme kept calling me and asking how is my job and do I feel good on there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    do not forget that witk work programme, you will stay about 2 years with them even if you are employed I had temp contract with agency for a job and even during my contract, people from work programme kept calling me and asking how is my job and do I feel good on there.
    Hmm. You sure you're stuck on it for two years? A mate of mine was on it and the WP was ran by an exterior company and I imagine, they might have been calling genuinely?

Plus if it was a temp contract, they probably wanted you back in their claws asap!

ReputationRep:

As far as I'm aware if someone is doing their own voluntary work, and informs the jobcentre of this, this exempts them from Mandatory Work Activity.

Or you can just lie. When signing off you don't need to give a reason why you signed off (the DWP are just happy you've signed off) and tell your Work Programme advisor that you are going travelling for a year or two and won't be available for contact. They'll still try and contact you but just ignore them.

So, yes, you're with them for two years but you're under no obligation to inform them you have a job (or, even if you do, to share details of the job), or to actually reply to their emails and calls.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. You sure you're stuck on it for two years? A mate of mine was on it and the WP was ran by an exterior company and I imagine, they might have been calling genuinely?

Plus if it was a temp contract, they probably wanted you back in their claws asap!
    But I do not want to come back there

(Original post by River85)
    As far as I'm aware if someone is doing their own voluntary work, and informs the jobcentre of this, this exempts them from Mandatory Work Activity.

Or you can just lie. When signing off you don't need to give a reason why you signed off (the DWP are just happy you've signed off) and tell your Work Programme advisor that you are going travelling for a year or two and won't be available for contact. They'll still try and contact you but just ignore them.

So, yes, you're with them for two years but you're under no obligation to inform them you have a job (or, even if you do, to share details of the job), or to actually reply to their emails and calls.
    Tell me, why WP needs details of my employer's address and hours I had?

ReputationRep:
    Tell me, why WP needs details of my employer's address and hours I had?
    I'm not saying they do. I'm saying they don't . They are a private company and, besides, if in employment the person is no longer on benefits so can do, and fail to share, whatever information they want to.

Doesn't mean to say that some work programme providers will try and get such information, though.

Admittedly if you want to get re-imbursed certain costs through the Work Programme (e.g. DBS, or get "start up" money, you might need to share this information.

But you do know that a WP provider is given a bonus fee (along with all the money they have recieved already) for getting a claimant into a job? So I think they may this require information to then pass onto DWP and receive the payment. But ultimately the claimant must consent to this being shared.

My point was that, yes you're with a WP provider for two years, but you can easily reduce the number of calls you get, or just chose to ignore them. The only effect being with the WP provider is that, should you return to JSA/ESA within that time period, you will be immediately put back onto the WP.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying they do. I'm saying they don't . They are a private company and, besides, if in employment the person is no longer on benefits so can do, and fail to share, whatever information they want to.

Doesn't mean to say that some work programme providers will try and get such information, though.

Admittedly if you want to get re-imbursed certain costs through the Work Programme (e.g. DBS, or get "start up" money, you might need to share this information.

But you do know that a WP provider is given a bonus fee (along with all the money they have recieved already) for getting a claimant into a job? So I think they may this require information to then pass onto DWP and receive the payment. But ultimately the claimant must consent to this being shared.

My point was that, yes you're with a WP provider for two years, but you can easily reduce the number of calls you get, or just chose to ignore them. The only effect being with the WP provider is that, should you return to JSA/ESA within that time period, you will be immediately put back onto the WP.
    I was just asking because got a call whilst on holidays abroad from WP that they neds details of my temp job and hours I worked, so once I return to UK, they will call me again.

Also, when they say once I apply to a job, manager of that workplace will get in contact with WP. Does that mean WP would arrange me a job opportunity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsPussySmith)
    Seems fai to me to expect claimants to do forced work in exchange of JSA.
    The OP already is doing voluntary work. This is the point. Generally people already doing voluntary work are exempt from MWA.

By why is it fair to expect claimants to do forced work? Especially full-time work? Ultimately their time should be spent searching for a job, not providing free labour.

They are paid JSA to meet living costs while searching for a job which is a full-time activity in itself when done properly.

Let's not forget that just because someone is claiming JSA doesn't mean to say they haven't paid plenty into the system themselves, especially if on contributions based JSA.

ReputationRep:
    The OP already is doing voluntary work. This is the point. Generally people already doing voluntary work are exempt from MWA.

By why is it fair to expect claimants to do forced work? Especially full-time work? Ultimately their time should be spent searching for a job, not providing free labour.

They are paid JSA to meet living costs while searching for a job which is a full-time activity in itself when done properly.

Let's not forget that just because someone is claiming JSA doesn't mean to say they haven't paid plenty into the system themselves, especially if on contributions based JSA.
    If you wish to claim JSA then it is fair to comply with all rule that they say, don't agree withy the rules the don't claim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsPussySmith)
    If you wish to claim JSA then it is fair to comply with all rule that they say, don't agree withy the rules the don't claim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    JCP advisors get paid salaries so they should do their work properly and actually help people instead of forcing them to do something which could be completely useless in many ways.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, could someone help me its quite urgent. I've been told by my advisor that I have to start the mandatory work activity and will be sanctioned if I don't. I already do voluntary work at a nursing home which have paid for my crb check. My advisor is aware of my voluntary work but still says I have to do it. Im sure I've read somewhere that if you already do voluntary work you shouldn't be referred. What do I do? Who do I take this up with? I really don't want to do MWA it sounds like ****!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.