Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doing CAM/CIPR/CIM courses whilst at uni or after graduation? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I was wondering whether its a good idea to get an accredited qualification after university or during.
    I really want to get into public relations/marketing and I'm ready to give myself an advantage by any means.
    I have lots of relevant work experience from unpaid SME agency work placements to a paid summer one in a big firm.

Will forking up money for an approved course be worth it or is it better to land myself a role first and do it online perhaps?

When do people usually do these courses anyway?
    During limbo of graduation and grad job or during university?

Ideally I would like to do the courses where it says you need to be a grad or have min two years of experience

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gillian768)
    Hi guys

I was wondering whether its a good idea to get an accredited qualification after university or during.
    I really want to get into public relations/marketing and I'm ready to give myself an advantage by any means.
    I have lots of relevant work experience from unpaid SME agency work placements to a paid summer one in a big firm.

Will forking up money for an approved course be worth it or is it better to land myself a role first and do it online perhaps?

When do people usually do these courses anyway?
    During limbo of graduation and grad job or during university?

Ideally I would like to do the courses where it says you need to be a grad or have min two years of experience

What do you guys think?

Hello,

I completed my professional diploma with CIM during a 2 year BTEC IT course. Although, since starting full-time work for a leading digital marketing agency in the UK, along with starting a BA in marketing from home (distance learning degree), it's clear that I wouldn't have sufficient time to complete this level of course during my degree, let alone undertaking full-time university.

The quickest completion time for a professional diploma is 9 months (3 modules at 3 months each - slightly depending on the college you choose to use).

Feel free to reply if you need any more help/support/guidance with the course structure, the process of work etc.

Dan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMac)
    Hello,

I completed my professional diploma with CIM during a 2 year BTEC IT course. Although, since starting full-time work for a leading digital marketing agency in the UK, along with starting a BA in marketing from home (distance learning degree), it's clear that I wouldn't have sufficient time to complete this level of course during my degree, let alone undertaking full-time university.

The quickest completion time for a professional diploma is 9 months (3 modules at 3 months each - slightly depending on the college you choose to use).

Feel free to reply if you need any more help/support/guidance with the course structure, the process of work etc.

Dan
    Thanks so much for your reply.
    I think I might have to do it after university. Do you think I can cope with a full time job and a course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gillian768)
    Thanks so much for your reply.
    I think I might have to do it after university. Do you think I can cope with a full time job and a course?
    Hello,

No problem at all! Yes, it's quite a lot of work (especially if this your first experience with marketing modules). The work must be based on real-life situations or marketing scenarios, supported by academic theory. So, working in a firm while studying can help dramatically.

I studied with Oxford College of Marketing. They are, without question, one of the best college's to study with. It's all self funded, yet they can offer a monthly payment scheme.

Dan

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.